Notices

Hello Friends...wish my luck.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello Friends...wish my luck.

I'm SO TIRED of letting alcohol control my life. Every night I go to bed buzzed. My sweet wife and 9 year-old see me drink, but I do quite the job of appearing to do it in moderation. I'm sick, but what's sad, I'm not sure I'm ready to quit. It's such a crutch for me. I have mastered the ability to appear fine when drinking.

Anyway, I just wanted to say a quick hello and ask for thoughts and prayers.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome to the beginning of the journey to a far more rewarding, rich and authentic life.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
welcome to the beginning of the journey to a far more rewarding, rich and authentic life.
Thank you
Old 09-30-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It just feels good to get this off my chest because I'm so alone with these feelings. I KNOW I'm an alcoholic, but keep telling myself I an convert to moderation. I'm telling myself this as I type. It's exhausting and coming to these boards will hopefully help. I've read several threads and the people on here are amazing.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR, plenty of understanding amongst people who get it!!
Old 09-30-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi rsted222; welcome to SR.

And wishing you luck. Finding SR was my lucky day.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rsted222 View Post
I'm SO TIRED of letting alcohol control my life. Every night I go to bed buzzed. My sweet wife and 9 year-old see me drink, but I do quite the job of appearing to do it in moderation. I'm sick, but what's sad, I'm not sure I'm ready to quit. It's such a crutch for me. I have mastered the ability to appear fine when drinking.

Being tired of alcohol is the beginning on this great battle to regain your life back!! Try it... try sobering-up for only one week!!! 7 days my friend... and see how you feel about your life! I guaranty you will want some more!!

Maybe you will fall back.... but only to realize how sad you've become when drunk...

Getting up without the guilt feeling is, for me, my everyday win... and being a better dad to my kids is what will prevent me from falling back to this prison!

Set yourself a date... and try it! 1 week, 7 days.... I dare you!
Old 09-30-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Hi rsted222; welcome to SR.

And wishing you luck. Finding SR was my lucky day.
Same here!!!

I'm so much stronger in this comunity!!

Stay around rsted222, read threads, participate, learn about the battle... you can't go wrong staying here for awhile!
Old 09-30-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is an amazing place. Lots of support and understanding. It helps me greatly and gives a sense of peace and hope. Hopefully it will for you also so, stick around.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Low

One of the great myths in our drinking is that "we have mastered it, and no one can tell how drunk/buzzed we are"....believe me, people can tell. We thought we were fooling people, we only fooled ourselves. Denial is a large by product of active drinking. Wishing you only the best. Sobriety is absolutely wonderful.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You can do it man.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Low View Post
One of the great myths in our drinking is that "we have mastered it, and no one can tell how drunk/buzzed we are"....believe me, people can tell. We thought we were fooling people, we only fooled ourselves. Denial is a large by product of active drinking. Wishing you only the best. Sobriety is absolutely wonderful.
I hear ya, but I'm probably not obvious until just before bed. After work, I nurse the alcohol until my boy goes to bed and wife goes upstairs. Then I go to the wine...from a box. If I only I would put such effort into something positive.

And thanks guys, for all the welcomes. Means a lot to me.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck
Old 09-30-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

'Anyway, I just wanted to say a quick hello and ask for thoughts and prayers'

Thinking of you and hoping you can build on that feeling of being tired of the drink, life is so much better without. I have been battling for a few years now, I totally understand your thinking about not being ready. I feel almost relieved that I dont have to drink tonight, how odd is that! Good luck to you Dx
Old 09-30-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome! I can definitely relate to your post (including the box of wine--cheaper and easier to dispose of than bottles, plus it holds more). I also held it together in front of my family until I went to bed, but even that was becoming a struggle. Coming here a few weeks ago was a HUGE breakthrough for me. It hasn't been easy, but there is so much support and understanding here. I'm glad you posted.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by josharon View Post
Welcome! I can definitely relate to your post (including the box of wine--cheaper and easier to dispose of than bottles, plus it holds more). I also held it together in front of my family until I went to bed, but even that was becoming a struggle. Coming here a few weeks ago was a HUGE breakthrough for me. It hasn't been easy, but there is so much support and understanding here. I'm glad you posted.
Thanks man and good luck to your new journey. I hope I can join ya.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm not a dude but you're not the first person to read Jo Sharon as Josh. ;-)
Old 09-30-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

You have both from me roasted. I KNOW it's going to get MUCH worse if you don't find what it takes to stop it. You won't be able to hide it much longer. They'll know before you know they know. Keep coming back here and get your ass to a meeting.

Alcoholics Anonymous : Find Local A.A.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sick doctor

Hi there! Last year, I found myself hitting the wine after my wife and then 9 year old daughter went to bed. I used to worry what would happen if there was a crisis in the middle of the night and I was too drunk to cope. I fell around the house, dutifully 'tidying up'. Then pulled myself through hungover days and got it together in time for evening with the family and then drank again till bedtime. It seemed like there could be little else to life... but there is. Lots of small things, seen through clearer eyes, and a slow awakening, adding up to a slow shift towards a better way of living.

These forums are a great help, and stopping drinking lifts a huge weight of anxiety right out of our lives - we get to see and work on the real sources of whatever anxiety remains.

Good luck - everyone here will be rooting for you.