Notices

Yippee!!!! The Weekender Thread Sept 19-21

Old 09-18-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Been awhile since I've participated in a weekender thread. Aaaand this'll be my first weekend sober in 4 months. Being a weekend-binger type, these threads helped me tons before. I know they will continue to!

No bacon for me- haven't eaten red meat in years... and I was more of a sausage guy. Can I still kick it with you guys?
Old 09-18-2014, 10:06 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Fun For Two

Roguedreams ~

The Ben & Jerry's Bumper Sticker comes to mind:

'If it's not fun, why do it'?

Listening to Drunks seriously bores me. Then, there's the rest of the Iceberg I'll let others here advise on.

Lay out your situation, and ask for empathy. Perhaps your Chum will consider an alternative that works for both of you: the point of the Evening.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:06 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

all I gotta say is WOW. I just watched the stupidest movie ever. Then I looked it up and found out this movie won awards. You gotta be kidding me.
Is it me or did anyone else think 'Gravity' sucked a$$? Good night Irene.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:17 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

roguedreams - tsk-tsk, I think you are playing with fire. I don't think you are ready for the responsibility to baby sit another drunk. JMHO

Old 09-18-2014, 10:29 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Ha, I love that song!

Tomorrow I'll talk to him about "The Point of the Evening" - well said

I haven't seen Gravity, but I'll now make a note not to ... watching Blacklist now, just started the first season.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:29 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by roguedreams View Post
watching Blacklist now, just started the first season.
I'm 12 episodes into season one of Blacklist....I'm hooked!
Old 09-18-2014, 11:30 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
all I gotta say is WOW. I just watched the stupidest movie ever. Then I looked it up and found out this movie won awards. You gotta be kidding me. Is it me or did anyone else think 'Gravity' sucked a$$? Good night Irene.
Brain did you watch it in 3D? I think that's what made it good.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:17 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Gee whizz page 7 already . count me in. Xxx
Old 09-19-2014, 01:53 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Another Weekender!! Holy Moly, they come round so quick.. Count me in, gonna be another worky worky one.. Hey Ho, keeps me out of trouble.. Have a great weekend enjoying the late summer sun..
Old 09-19-2014, 02:11 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Sigint... always room... and I always preferred sausage over bacon. Yes I said it in my out loud voice.

Dolly... thats some fancy bacon you got there. Very cool.

Wow... page 4 on Friday morning!!!!

To all the newcomers and newbies... feel free to join in... never to late. Never to many. Always a helpful bunch here!!!

I am working from home today. Gonna sit for a while and read then get the office set up for the day.

I will be around a lot today! Supposed to be great weather this weekend. Want to get out as much as I can.

K
Old 09-19-2014, 03:02 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Super busy day at work on the docket and a meeting with my therapist later in the day. Looking forward to a low-key evening already as I anticipate being tired...but at least it is a good tired from a long productive day vs. staying up too late making bad decisions! 35 degrees this morning...brrrr....guess it is time to find my ice scrapper for my car Have a happy and sober day everyone
Old 09-19-2014, 03:18 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by sigint View Post
No bacon for me- haven't eaten red meat in years... and I was more of a sausage guy. Can I still kick it with you guys?
Even tho' bacon isn't red meat, c'mon and kick it.

bacon is pork candy
Old 09-19-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Is there room for one more?
Old 09-19-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Good morning! Already so much to ponder.

RogueDreams, ditto what Brain said on going out. It sounds to me, and I could be off base, that you are somehow afraid of offending your friend and are going along with what he wants to do instead of doing what's best for you. If he's verbally hilarious you won't be able to hear him at a dance club. If he is intent on getting messed up, he will be "funny" for entirely different reasons and you will have to endure an evening of him repeating himself, getting louder and slurring. Maybe even sick and stumbling. Be mindful of yourself and do what you want to do to take care of your sobriety.

Welcome to the newcomers and returning alums.

Didn't see Gravity so can't comment. Brain, Your comment reminds me of "Mulholland Drive" which got rave reviews and which I despised. Guess it's a matter of personal taste.

Time to get the show rolling. I'm hoping to attend my Friday beginners meeting. Happy hour for alcoholics. Work is work. I don't have much on my plate there. See you all later. Probably around page eleven or so.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
What???? It's the weekend already?

Let's see.... Need to pack my music playlists... Gardening tips... Recipes... Pictures to share... Postcards to share... Sober tool box... Pet pictures... Gratitude list... Hmmmm....

Did I forget anything? OH yes... BACON! In all forms... Even airbrushed!

Busy busy at work today! Lost rack of time until I heard all the buses pull up!

*Ring Ring* Welcome to your sober weekend!

love the bus middle section please.. the People on the Bus go up and down up and down up and down the driver says move on back all thro the town..

I am in for another 24 long week... just ekekekekekekekke ardy
Old 09-19-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post

Even tho' bacon isn't red meat, c'mon and kick it.

bacon is pork candy
I used to be vegan. I have fallen from grace. Give me bacon.

And sign me up for the weekend.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Originally Posted by soberjim View Post
Is there room for one more?
Jim, so great to see you!

There's vacant seat right next to me - I'll keep it for you)
Old 09-19-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hi, SJ! Good to see you!

I'm late, but I'm in.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

In
Old 09-19-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Scurrying about this morning packing up to go camping, but Mrs Non said I needed to stop and read a Facebook post my sister made. I was just so pleased to read it that I wanted to re-share it with my friends here. (Pardon the reference to wine, but she doesn't have a problem with it.)

Originally Posted by Non's Sister
In hopes that friends here will forgive a self-congratulatory moment, I am celebrating an important anniversary today that I want to share. On September 19, 1989 I woke up as usual and dragged myself to the table for coffee and breakfast. I had not slept well, I hurt all over from the systemic lupus I'd had for about five years, and my brain was foggy from the medicine I was taking. As I stared at the pile of pills in front of me, including 100 mg of prednisone, two anti-inflammatories, and two more to counteract the side effects of prednisone, I realized that I just didn't want to live that way. So I pushed the pills away and stopped. Cold turkey.

My doctors had told me this was a move that would kill me. Without the medicine my muscles of respiration would not be able to keep going due to what was considered an aggressive side case of myastenia gravis. Or maybe I would wither away for lack of natural cortisol production after two and a half years of corticosteroid. Whatever. I was done. I started organizing my house and personal files, threw out a bunch of stuff my mother wouldn't want to see, and resigned myself to face the end on my own terms.

Obviously, I didn't die. In fact, after a few weeks I noticed I was feeling better! With the help of great authors like Louise Hay, Anne Wilson Schaef, and Andrew Weil, I learned strategies for taking better care of myself naturally. Diet, sleep strategies, and resolving emotional issues combined with supplements to support natural healing. There was still some weakness and achiness but no more crazy-making drugs. In 1992 I moved to Boulder, Colorado and was introduced to the wide world of alternative medicine and healthy living. I grew genuinely strong. Blood tests that were once positive for lupus or myastenia gravis went negative. I was better.

In the past 25 years I have had two flares requiring a single dose of prednisone by shot. I've found that the most important thing for me is to keep the colon working well and take steps to reduce toxins. People who know me well know that I am hardly a pillar of clean-living. I like wine and diet coke and rich foods with rich sauces. But all things in moderation... and I also eat cabbage and citrus juice and fiber. I am self-employed, quick to walk away from stressful situations, take naps, and almost never set an alarm clock. My neurologist (the one who supports my choices) tells me I can expect to live to be old and there is no reason to anticipate a recurrence of the autoimmune crud as I age. With his help, I keep a few doses of a medicine on hand that would pull me through a crisis.

So that's my story and I am sticking to it! Once I hit post I will be off to an early morning meeting, then another, then off to join my brother, niece and nephew for a hiking/camping expedition in the Shenandoah. We are in training to take on the Grand Canyon in November. 9.5 miles down and 9.5 miles up, covering more than 4000 vertical feet. Take that Lupus! You can't knock me down!
I come from tough stock. Ain't no AV ever going to get me down!