Notices

Class of September 2014 part 2

Old 09-15-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Hey safeandsound.... Sorry for the rough day! You made it through and that's what counts.. Everyone says it will get easier and we will get stronger. My first 3 or 4 days were awful but I am feeling stronger everyday.. Hang in there! Hope you wake up stronger and have a better day tomorrow!

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 09-15-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Hey everyone-

Glad to see you all hanging in - jazzfish, WTG for coming right back! Beating yourself up tends to perpetuate the vicious cycle - be kind to yourself and just try to move forward.

Day three in the bag, and it feels pretty grand I just can't get over how much better I feel without a hangover. Makes me wonder how lived through them day after day.

Have a great Tuesday, all!
Old 09-15-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Seeker of Enlightenment

Day 8 for me, figured I'd make an account and stop lurking.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  
On my way....

Welcome Sobrio! Good job on 8 days!
Old 09-15-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Yesterday I had posted that I was on day 8 when today is actually day 8. I guess I am just getting ahead of myself. Just so relieved that the numbers are still increasing. Just been feeling kinda down lately when I should be feeling all kinds of happiness. I'll just blame that on the changing of the weather for now. Everyone seems to be doing great. I am not a very outspoken person so I don't normally say much (very outspoken when intoxicated) but I am happy to be a part of this class. Failed in July and August. I am not going to accomplish anything by failing repeatedly. I really want to make it this time even when sometimes it seems almost impossible. Over the summer I have already managed to cut my drinking down to almost half of what it used to be and have been able to count many more sober days. Which does make it a little easier this time around. Thanks for being here and listening Off to bed another night sober.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Deanya, 8 days is great - keep up the good work! I also had a few relapses in the past, and I try to learn from each one and see how I could do things different. Today I am on Day 3 - I still feel my commitment is firm, and I really want to make this work.

I'm also grateful for this support group for keeping me on track.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:20 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pretend3r View Post
Tired, little one just constantly whiny and defiant. Work asking way too much every day. Not sure how much more I can take. Air conditioning seems to be broken / leaking through my laundry room ceiling. Not a good time for this, I'm scraping up money to buy a plane ticket for friends destination wedding in Mexico that i really should be using the money to get a divorce (plus i will have alcohol shoved in my face the whole time I'm there). Just soooo tired of it all. If she wasn't the closest friend I've got I wouldn't go at all. I'm lying in bed trying to relax. Congrats to all those with sober days and welcome to those just joining. Sorry I'm the Debbie downer, sober debbie downer though! Cup half full, lol.
Sorry you're having a rough day, Pretend3r. Seems like you're under a great deal of pressure. I hope you are kind, gentle, and patient with yourself and do what is best for you.
I can understand what you're going through being in a broken marriage, I am right there with you. I don't know your specific situation, but I feel for you all the same. Some people here at SR advised me that there is no need to rush into my getting a divorce and it may be best to focus on myself and getting better instead. That was the best thing I could hear, because I think it's just too much for me to take it on all at once. So we remain separated and that's okay for now.
Hope you feel better.

Originally Posted by safeandsound View Post
I got a second wind after work, but also that nagging thought that a drink sure would be nice after I put in all that effort! To make it worse, after I got home my husband texted to see if I wanted to come play pool at the bar with our friends. I was angry at him for being able to drink and felt excluded, but I didn't go. After that I was losing my mind for a bit and ate two full dinners, snacks, and a bag of candy. I felt panicky. Hanging by a thread. Then I made some chamomile tea, hoping it would calm me down, and have been on SR since then, reading tons of threads in the Newcomers section. The Gratitude List helped a lot because I'm already grateful for some things in only 3 days and needed reminding. But I also liked reading the stories of where people came from and the people who are struggling. Such great support. It really helped.

So now I don't feel happy or relaxed, and I'm WAY TOO FULL of food and tea, but I am so grateful I didn't drink.
Way to go!! Very happy for you, because it is sooo tough when family doesn't understand and isn't considerate of your efforts, but you made it through day 3! It does get easier. Does your hubby know you are looking into recovery?

SobrioVida - Welcome to the group!

danyyea - Glad to see you are hanging in there.

It seems like a lot of us are having some faulty moods.

Here is a link about Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome: P.A.W.S. | What…Me Sober?

I thought this guy broke it down pretty well and offered some helpful suggestions on how to combat it.

Goodnight all.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:31 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Hola all you good ppl, just touching base here. Day 3 for me.

You guys really are keeping me sober right now, if I wasn’t connected here, I would be at the bottle shop, but I know how that ends and I want more from this life than hazy memories and hangovers.

Hey Avice
It’s appreciated that you recognise that while life as tiger wearing a checkered shirt is usually a riot, emotions can truly be a hard one to face up to sometimes eh.

Hi NSI
Sorry to hear you had a tough start to the day and good luck with the gym later. I regret going to the gym said no one, ever. Also before I forget, thank you for sharing all these links. They’re fantastic.

Hi nmd,
I understand when you say that this is much harder than you'd ever imagined, we’re here if you need to talk / vent. We’re all in this together.

Pretend3r
Hang in there! Sending good vibes your way.

SobrioVida - Hola & welcome, great mob of supportive people (and tigers) here.

Safeandsound
"After that I was losing my mind for a bit and ate two full dinners, snacks, and a bag of candy. I felt panicky. Hanging by a thread”

You don’t know how much that meant to me to read. I have been the same, questioning my sanity & on the verge of panic, it’s so comforting (don’t mean to sound sadistic) to know that other people are going thru something comparable. For me there’s been an impending sense of doom hanging over my head that has been growing, I find quite overwhelming at times. I know it’s all in my head and is some sort of physiological stress reaction but it feels as real a cold shower.

My mantra for the day; This too, shall pass.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:58 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  
One day at a time

Unhappy New Day 1

Hey everyone I am just wondering if it's okay if I join still? I have cried lots of tears just being on this site already people are very inspiring gives me hope I am trying to quit for the millionth time I hope it sticks
Old 09-16-2014, 01:11 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Welcome to the group newconfused
Old 09-16-2014, 01:12 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  
One day at a time

Thank ya can't sleep first night of withdrawal fun fun
Old 09-16-2014, 01:15 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Oops posted before I finished typing. Blooming phone. Had a terrible sleep last night. Woke up screaming from a nightmare. Can relate to gnarly boots saying about being overwhelmed but I know this too shall pass!
Welcome to the newcomers, keep on posting
Old 09-16-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're very welcome youngconfused

The first night always seems to be a bit like that...the good thing is there's always people around here

D
Old 09-16-2014, 01:25 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  
One day at a time

I had a dream I got really drunk and lost all my money and everything also dreamed I married a man from my hometown that was all wrong for me! Cheers to crazy dreams
Old 09-16-2014, 03:08 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  
nmd

Frazzled nerves yesterday, rough time with the kids being... kids.

I attempted to have a talk about my drinking with my gf last night. It didn't go badly but it didn't go far either. She's kind of quietly supportive, she won't say anything for a while until she sees how it goes. But at least I opened the conversation up and have something to keep me honest for now. I'll do what I need to do. Memories of drinking now are still fresh so there is no desire, but I need to shore up support.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:20 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  
nmd

Gnarlyboots, it is great to be amongst such good people going through the same thing.

Welcome youngconfused
Old 09-16-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Way to go NSI!

You know, I used to have a bit of anxiety going back 20 years just getting up and realizing I had to build a life and a foundation. I started to help ease this by smoking weed (hated booze, what??). I smoked before work, during lunch and after work and in the evening and at night. I'm in the engineering field, so, it actually helped me concentrate as well, believe it or not.

Then I realized, if I wanted make more money, I'd have to get a few new jobs as stepping stones. And with that comes drug testing. So, I quite smoking, and before I knew I had developed a taste for Vodka (oops). As time went on, I matured (late bloomer) and became more confident and develop excellent communication skills.

Then I started going backwards as addiction began to kick-in because drinking became a priority. It's ironic how drinking can help us hurdle (smoke & mirrors) problems in life, but then it slowly starts to take its toll and you begin having a hard time getting off of the ground and soon you're plowing into things. Heck, I started having anxiety at work!!! I would avoid people because my heart would start racing and I thought I was losing my mind. So, what eased my anxiety actually worsened it.

I related this to your lack of reasoning this morning for not wanting (perhaps) to confront reality. At least, that was my reason for the mask.

Once we quit drinking, we realize that we had already developed coping skills and that we are responsible individuals. However, when obstacle arise, the heart starts racing and we just have to stay cool and deal, but we're not used that part without a helping hand. And you've never heard Jack Daniels say, sorry man, I can't help you, you've got to do this yourself. Hell, he's all in..."of course, let's do this together, oh, and get 5th this time, what if we run out of the pint, you know how you get"?

Let's all learn how to deal with reality again. And I personally want to hammer on the addiction part, that wasn't associated with my initial plan....

Thanks for bringing up the inhibition to face reality or deal. You really made me think about my struggles and how I got here.

Bless, and Stay Strong Septemberites.......
Old 09-16-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by youngconfused View Post
Hey everyone I am just wondering if it's okay if I join still? I have cried lots of tears just being on this site already people are very inspiring gives me hope I am trying to quit for the millionth time I hope it sticks
Absolutely, welcome YC!
Old 09-16-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Hey Class......

Checking on day (22).

Stay Strong Septemberites........
Old 09-16-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  
One day at a time

Wanting to take something trying to be strong!!