Notices

Three Weeks Sober and Going Strong!

Old 09-01-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Three Weeks Sober and Going Strong!

Hi there! I stopped drinking almost three weeks ago to the hour. Yep, I was day drinking -- probably was on a 24 hour binge. I had bought a bottle of vodka on Sunday and by Monday afternoon it was gone.

I have not had three weeks sober in almost 20 years, and I have been a very heavy drinker for the past 6 or 7. The farthest I'd ever gotten was about 2 weeks, and it was such a struggle. I work from home, and three weeks ago during my mini-bender, I submitted work that was really late and below par. I think the idea of losing this job really snapped me out of my alcoholic headspace. That, and I can't lose weight when I drink. I developed such a belly over the past four years, and I'm tired of being ashamed of how I look.

So, I quit. Up until a couple of days ago I had a full bottle of tequila in the house and didn't even feel the slightest temptation to drink it. I dumped it down the sink just in case!

For the longest time, I felt like I needed to go to rehab to quit. I drink to self-medicate for anxiety and out of boredom, and my life up until about 9 months ago was filled with anxiety. I didn't think I could get a break from the anxiety unless I went to rehab. And then I got fired -- which had a lot to do with my drinking -- and I started working a new job from home. So I moved to Mexico to save money and try something new, and it was the greatest thing I could have done. I love my new job and my life is almost completely stress free. That's the only way I was able to quit drinking. I don't experience anxiety on a daily basis, although a lot of that has to do with me not really knowing anyone where I live, so I have no interpersonal drama! It doesn't hurt that I live in a beautiful city with perfect weather either!

Everyone cross your fingers for me that it'll work out this time! Everyone who is sober had to have a last time, and I really want three weeks ago to be my last time. I'm surprised at how easy the past three weeks have been. I wasn't even tempted in the grocery store the other day walking past the alcohol and beer section. I think I might actually be developing new healthy habits, which feels great. As a matter of fact, I'm about to take my dog out for a nice, long hike!
Old 09-01-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Love this post
Old 09-01-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hit 3 weeks just yesterday- Congrats, buddy!

and... I too am headed to talk my dogs for a walk (though not in a place as nice probably as where you are in Mexico!).

Let's, you and I, keep it up! 3 MORE weeks now!
Old 09-01-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome! Sober buddies it is. Next week it will be a whole month! I haven't had a whole month sober since last century!

Yes, it is exceptionally beautiful here, but I do miss home!

Okay, I'm really out the door now!
Old 09-01-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done
Old 09-01-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome and congrats on three weeks sober. Keep it up. It will get better.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job! Did you join the Class of September 2014?
Old 09-02-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Fantastic!! Keep it going!!