Notices

Full body muscle spasms, day 3?

Old 08-29-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Full body muscle spasms, day 3?

Anybody else experience this? Is this normal?

I've always had the occasional "jerk" when I'm trying to fall asleep. But I'm on sober day 3 coming off of an alcohol/coke binge, and for the last 3 nights it's been full on full body muscle spasms while I'm laying in bed. I've been having like, 20-30 of them a night probably and haven't gotten to sleep once yet.

I had a particularly violent one last night and put my neck out.

I can't find this on google as being a normal symptom. Just wondering if anyone else has had this or knows anything about it.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd recommend seeing a doctor, withdrawals can be quite dangerous. Don't use Dr. Google, you cannot diagnose yourself via the internet.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is very common, and could be the precursor to something way more serious such as a full on seizure. Time to see a Dr.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mrrryah, can you see a doctor? You said you were on an alcohol/coke binge. I think most people here are alcoholics. I personally have no experience with cocaine or any drugs like that. I don't know if this is the alcohol or the coke or both. I didn't have this happen to me, I just had night sweats for about 3 nights. I still went to the ER on the 3rd day because of an elevated HR and BP. Your symptoms are concerning and I think it would be safer if you could see a doctor. You could also repost this in the substance abuse forum where there may be people with more experience with something like cocaine. Canada has a good health system I think, could you go to a walk-in clinic or an ER? I ended up fine but was glad I went because the worry will do you in! Take care.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'd see a doctor asap.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm seeing a doctor in 1.5 hours & will tell him what's happening - I just thought others on here might have experienced the same thing and might know something about it. Thanks guys.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am an alcoholic first and foremost, but many times cocaine was a part of my alcohol binges. I did not have any spasms. Only the typical 'cocaine crash' and alcohol withdrawal symptoms.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm glad to hear you are seeing a Dr. today...make sure you are super honest about what you've done lately...you said you recently stuck a needle in your arm? was that with coke?
I used cocaine many many moons ago (20's) and recall major muscle cramping when I went cold turkey, but I had also been using it for a few years.
so glad you are seeking medical attention M.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

my hubby is on morphine Doctor gives him the pills.. he has these all night I have done a ton of reading on it and no it really does not stop .. not for a long long time.. you used for longer then one day ..and your boddy has to readjust to not having the stuff..

Last edited by Dee74; 08-29-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would echo Jupiter's thoughts - make sure you are brutally honest with your doctor about exactly what you have been drinking, how much and how often. Also whatever other drugs you have taken - even if it was only just one time. In order to get the help you need you will have to share everything. And don't worry, whatever you tell your doctor is confidential, and they have heard it all before - nothing you can say will be a surprise.

Best of luck, i hope you are feeling better soon.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks all. Yes Jupiters, it was with coke.

I am also an alcoholic first and foremost. I don't go looking for drugs if I'm not intoxicated on booze first. It always starts the same way. With "just a couple glasses of wine/beer".

I'll post after I see the doctor what he says.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Mrrryah1 View Post
I am also an alcoholic first and foremost. I don't go looking for drugs if I'm not intoxicated on booze first. It always starts the same way. With "just a couple glasses of wine/beer".
Regardless of why, you did take the Coke - and it was recent enough to potentially be considered as a source of your current issues, so make sure you tell the doctor.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

My mum was an alcoholic I've seen first hand what your describing in England its known as the shakes

See your doctor for some healthy b vitamins and a good chat about what your going through don't panic for some this is normal I've grown up seeing this sort of thing

Hope doc apt goes well post back let us know how it went

All the best hang in there this is your body reclaiming itself good luck
Old 08-29-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mrrryah

I have no experience with coke - but anything out of the ordinary like that I really think it's best to see your Dr, if only to put your mind at ease.

D
Old 08-29-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

please do post to let us know how you are and what Doc said (If you feel comfortable)...hope you start to feel better soon
I hope you do get help---cocaine is a dirty, gross drug you don't wanna deal with.
we're here for ya!!!!!
Old 08-30-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Doc said those spasms usually preclude seizures.... So he gave me some Ativan to calm my nervous system for the next few days. Glad I went. Kinda scary stuff.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi all sorry about the medical post.. I have worked in medical science and have to do alot of research on what is going on with my hubby.. for my own knowledge and being a Mom have the tendency to give out to much FYI.. love to you all.. hold tight as a movie line said.. its going to be a bumpy ride.. ardy...