Notices

It's the smoking that will most likely take me out.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's the smoking that will most likely take me out.

Hello everyone

As I read through SR each day, I see all of these addictions people are fighting. I have a few myself Aside from my abuse of other substances which would be great to conquer, I feel like the smoking (cigarettes) is what will end up actually taking me out of this world early.

Does anyone else feel this way that is a heavy smoker?
Old 08-26-2014, 11:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I still smoke and know that it will be much harder than stopping the drinking. I'm about two months free from booze but I know quitting the smoking will drive me batty. I associate with everything: driving, relaxing, talking, etc.

It wasn't that hard to picture my life without drinking but it's hard to picture a life without smoking ever again. I am looking forward to hearing what other people have to say. I do know that I never could have stopped smoking while drinking as those two were connected.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I see your point, but do you think drinking makes you smoke more?

I felt I smoked much more as my drinking increased. Personally, I still see that as a side effect of drinking to be honest.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't drink. Oh lord if I were a drinker I would easily be able to go through 2 1/2 packs a day. I do drink a few times a year.

I probably belong more to the substance abuse forum,but I like it over here with you guys better!
Old 08-27-2014, 01:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smoking!!! Oh God yeah.... Giving up the drink was easy compared to smoking!! I've tried everything, patches, gum, spray, champix, Allen Carre & Jason Vale method, acupuncture, e-fags.. only thing I havnt tried is hypnotism which may be on my to do list..
Old 08-27-2014, 01:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

See, I'd rather give up smoking, than drinking. I think giving up smoking was much easier.

Autumn...I think of addiction as all encompassing I.e....alcohol or substance....both lower your inhibitions and I think, increase smoking. Just to clarify what I meant.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

Goodness! I smoke cigarettes faaaar to much!!

I smoked a lot with drinking, but for some reason I've started smoking even more when sober! It sounds as if it would be the other way around... But not for me!

I've tried quitting many times. Succeeded for a period of time twice. Once I stopped smoking for a year. Then once, when I was drunk, I decided it would be a good idea to smoke. I told myself I would only smoke if I drank...! Idiotic thought because I drank myself into oblivion nearly every day. So... Therefore... I was a pack a day smoker again. :-(

I've been smoking for longer than I've been drinking. I was one of those kids that thought they were SOO COOL and smoked when I was 14... I'm 26 now.

I intend on quitting once I have a good amount of sobriety under my belt. Right now though... I don't want to change my life that drastically yet.

I am terrified of getting cancer or what not. My mother passed away from lung cancer that metastasized to other organs. I was 8 then. She was a smoker but quit when I was very young. I have no clue if the lung cancer was related to smoking or not but I can only imagine that it was. You'd think that'd be enough for me not to smoke! Nope!!

Anywho... Once I feel more confident with not drinking, that is the next hurdle to jump for me!
Old 08-27-2014, 02:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I kept trying to quit and finally I stopped starting again. The patch made quitting easier for me. I think I just got tired of paying out $120 to quit smoking (patches are kind of expensive).

After ten years of nonsmoking your cancer rate is statistically the same as nonsmokers, so it is never too late to quit and never too soon to quit, and at $8/pack you're looking at nearly a $3000/year habit -- add that up over thirty five years and project a 7% annualized return sometime, that's like, the cost of a house (and the land it sits on, of course), or a third of what you need in (an admittedly austere) retirement.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I stopped smoking March last year when I stopped drinking, I had been doing both for 40 years. I had tapered down on smoking and only smoked when I drank so, once I stopped drinking, stopping smoking wasn't all that hard. I am now completely revolted by the smell of cigarette smoke and have never been healthier in my life.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
totfit

Yes smoking was tough. Statistically, more alcoholics die from smoking related disease than drinking related deaths and not by just barely. For some it is the most addictive thing they could ever do and hardest to overcome. Sure is nice when it is behind you though.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, I agree Croissant! Thank you
Old 08-27-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Notmyrealname, Yes, I agree on the expense. I was paying $4.00 a pack. Buying approx 10 packs a week.

Now I roll my own. Which is only $7.00 a week for the same amount of cigarrettes. That helped me to keep money in my pocket,but kinda makes the problem worse,because it took away the money aspect!