Notices

The thought of...

Old 08-22-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The thought of...

The thought of never be able to drink again bothers me tremendously, even though It's how I need to live my life in order to find happiness again. Anyone else that is struggling with the thought?
Old 08-22-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had to boil it down to a choice, continue to drink and have no control over my drinking whatsoever when I have that 1st drink, or cut out that 1st drink permanently and regain my life back!!

It's tough early on, 1 day at a time is the way to do it, but I found the idea gets easier as time goes on, as you create a new Sober life, new routines, new activities, alcohol slowly gets pushed to the sidelines!!
Old 08-22-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I struggled with the thought of never drinking again at a young age. It kept me drinking for another ten years until I reached the point that I could neither drink or not drink.
I had lost control. Alcohol had taken over my life and I was a full blown drunk.
Alcoholism has a progressive component, so if you don't quit now there is a good chance things will only get worse.
Is that the kind of life you want to live? Believe me, it's a waking nightmare.

There's nothing to be afraid of. I became a different, better person when I quit. That was three and a half years ago, and now I can't imagine life while drinking.
I couldn't look at it as not drinking again forever. I just have to not drink today. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow may not come, so today I won't drink.
I understand your animosity. It seems daunting and, if you drink like I did, impossible.
But you can do it. Many of us are.
Best to you.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Take it one day at a time, sj. Sobriety is worth the effort.