Notices

New here

Old 08-12-2014, 11:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Hi everyone.

I've been reading through these forums at length over the past few months. Mostly because I've been trying to face up to the fact that I have a problem with alcohol.

I am a 31 year old female and I would say my drinking problem began when I was around 24. Fast forward 7 years and at least a bottle of wine per night, sometimes a lot more, I believe that my drinking has contributed to some hard hitting anxiety and an inability to LIVE. An inability to muster any enthusiasm. I'm fed up of leaving everything until tomorrow. And then of course never getting round to it. I'm fed up of the hangovers, the poor sleep.

For me, it's the little things like not remembering a conversation with a friend or the plans I enthusiastically made with them (cancelling later, of course.) I don't remember the end of any movies. I'm fed up of being overweight with a puffy face and slightly red eyes. I'm fed up of the guilt. Drinking wine out of a mug because no-one will know what it is, right?

I'm rambling. Sorry. It's day three today and on your advice, I CHOOSE not to drink today.

Thank you for listening. You're inspirational.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey.

Welcome to SR. Great choice to post.

There are lots of supportive people here.

Stay strong. I identify with everything you wrote down. You CAN do this and choosing not to drink today is great work
Old 08-13-2014, 01:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Emma welcome. You are very wise, I had exactly the same problems at 31 but unfortunately it took me until 57 (last year) before I stopped. I wish I had done it at your age but at least we both have loads of sober years to look forward to.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome here, it is a really supportive community with a lot of smart people who have good advice to share.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR emmajams

D
Old 08-13-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

What a great first post, EmmaJams! Welcome to SR. Your statement, 'I choose not to drink' is so very powerful because of its underlying premise -

I have the power to choose abstinence.

Such a simple statement of intent and understanding is all you need to take firm hold of a life with joy and beauty and your own measure of happiness in it. Beautiful! I hope you keep posting because there are so many here who need to hear this.

When the time comes and it will, when you question this choice, please remember that you deserve a life without alcohol, without the shame and self loathing, the depression and anxiety, the loss of self respect. You deserve to be free, well, and happy. Onward!
Old 08-13-2014, 05:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum emmajams!!

My drinking career sounds very similar, started mid 20s and before I knew it by my early 30s I had progressed to drinking large quantities of alcohol alone in my house every night of the week.

You can turn this around though, a new chapter in your life!!
Old 08-13-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, Emmajems. Not drinking today is a a great choice. I'm pulling for you!
Old 08-13-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, Emmajems. Congrats on day 3! You'll find lots of support and encouragement here. Glad you've joined us.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I see myself exactly in your post.

Daily consumption of a bottle plus of wine per night, and constant anxiety. I was totally on board with sobriety three weeks ago, but then summer vacations happened, and that went right out the door, and into the bottle.

I have been integrating physical fitness back into my routine, and yesterday I finally got back into a Cycling class. The instructor was pushing us to pedal faster and she screamed "Get out of your head, and just do it!"

"Get out of your head!". That's exactly my problem, and the root of my anxiety and the pressure I put on myself. I tell you this in hope that it resinates with you as well.

Choosing not to drink has been very hard for me, but reading your words, and your desire to be better is exactly what i needed today for me to reaffirm my commitment to getting sober, healthy, and not wasting another day to alcohol.

Thank you Emmajems.