Notices

Our stories... why and how we stopped drinking.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Our stories... why and how we stopped drinking.

I have been thinking that it would be a good idea for us to share our stories so that we can relate to and use them for inspiration. I think it would be best if we all kept ourselves to just one post. Kind of a short bio of where we were to where we are and how we got here.

Plausable Deniability
My name is John and I am an alcoholic. I came to that realization July 11 2014. My last drink was 4 days later. I have been sober for 16 days.

I have been a binge drinker since my teens. Often drinking daily for months at a time. I did not think I was an alcoholic because I didn't get withdrawal symptoms on days I didn't drink. Fast forward to the last 3 years. The only days I didn't drink were when I was too sick or too broke. I decided to quit when I realized that I couldn't remember the last time I remembered going to bed. I am talking weeks. I was drinking a gallon of vodka plus a couple of cases of beer each week. All at home and almost all alone. When I decided to stop I cut my drinks in half for 4 straight days. I suffered withdrawal symptoms of shakes insomnia mood swings and such but thankfully nothing serious. I realize that my next drink could truthfully lead me back to the old life and I don't want that.

My approach is simple. I don't drink. I don't make long range plans for staying sober. Just taking it one day at s time. And on those hard days it may be one hour at a time. Maybe even ten minutes at a time. It IS hard sometimes. But I have to stay sober. I want to live and the way I was drinking that was not living.

I am now adjusting to being sober and there is a big adjustment. It's getting easier. My wife has been a huge support as well as SR.

Congrats to all who are sober and best wishes to those who want to be. We can all do this. One day, one hour, one minute at a time if need be.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Johnny

Not stopping anyone from posting at all but just FYI - we already have a Recovery Stories forum. Posting there is limited to those members with one year of recovery or more, but it's good reading nonetheless. My story's in there along with a lot of others.

The Where Were You forum also contains some stories

D
Old 07-31-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Im Tony. Never drank much up until about 4 years ago. Beers changed to whiskey then to vodka. Averaged 3/4 of a fifth to a liter per day. Been trying to quit for about two years. Unhealthy, tired and sick all the time. Withdrawals became a morning ritual that was only staved off with hard liquor. I would vomit in the shower, so as to deafen the noise. 8 am i would head to the store and buy shots. Drink on my way to work so i wouldnt feel like i would die.

Withdrawals: never could taper. Tried many times. Cold turkey, last two were so bad i honestly though i could die.

Got through them though. Sober 27 days no cravings, no desire to drink. Starting to live again.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been sober since October 1st 2012. If I can do it anyone can. Keep up the good work.