Notices

drinking has made me ugly :-/

Old 07-30-2014, 11:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

drinking has made me ugly :-/

I know that this is shallow... But... It really has made me ugly. Wrinkles, sallow skin, acne, black circles under my eyes, face is puffy and my tummy is fat :-\ andgod knows what my insides look like. Does any of this reverse when u have been sober for a while?
Old 07-31-2014, 12:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've found the physical aspect does improve. At my heaviest, I was 228 lbs, which is when I was drinking every day. I also had dark circles under the eyes. My face was bloated, pale with shades of red. I looked like death. With sobriety, diet, exercise, getting some sun, getting some sleep every night, I am down to 192lbs, face looks normal and no longer bloated, dark circles are gone, getting toward my fitness goals, etc.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was never an oil painting but I look pretty good compared to some of my peers my age.

I think you'll be ok animalnurse

D
Old 07-31-2014, 12:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

At 30 days sober I noticed a HUGE difference :-) You are young , stick to sobriety and you will see the benefits! It Does get better. Day 2 for me after a relapse, we CAN do this :-)
Old 07-31-2014, 01:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh and eat plenty of fruit and veg and drink water and take nice long walks in the fresh air, it all helps
Old 07-31-2014, 01:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm doin okay with the water. But just down two massive bowls of mac n cheese :-\ definitely eating my feelings. Newman congrats on the weight loss! I wana do the same!
Old 07-31-2014, 01:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just make health and wellbeing your main goal and everything will fall into place
Old 07-31-2014, 02:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i have been sober 60 days and the entire time I have felt like a fat, old worthless, loser... I don't know how these feelings go away...
Old 07-31-2014, 02:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

They take time...I had 40 years of hating myself to work through. That takes longer than a few weeks or even a few months

D
Old 07-31-2014, 02:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

60 days sober is a thing of beauty you've created all on its own.

Chin up! You are winning!
Old 07-31-2014, 02:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, there.

Sorry you are struggling...

First, it is not shallow - it's more than natural for a woman to care about her looks. And good healthy looks reflect our good health and peace of mind - it's all interconnected.

Good news it's reversible - but the older we get the harder it's to reverse. So, don't waste another day or even hour - get your beauty back right now!

When my wine consumption hit it max rate before I quit, I developed ugly bags under my eye. After some sobriety time (don't remember for sure now) they were gone. Skin got back to normal.

Your beauty will be back - just give sobriety a chance.

Take care of yourself.

Best wishes to you.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
instant

After three years of being sober I am in much better shape than when I was drinking. I am at least 12kg less, and overall much healthier. It takes time but it happens
Old 07-31-2014, 02:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
Hi, there.

Sorry you are struggling...

First, it is not shallow - it's more than natural for a woman to care about her looks. And good healthy looks reflect our good health and peace of mind - it's all interconnected.

Good news it's reversible - but the older we get the harder it's to reverse. So, don't waste another day or even hour - get your beauty back right now!

When my wine consumption hit it max rate before I quit, I developed ugly bags under my eye. After some sobriety time (don't remember for sure now) they were gone. Skin got back to normal.

Your beauty will be back - just give sobriety a chance.

Take care of yourself.

Best wishes to you.
This right here! It WILL come back!
Old 07-31-2014, 02:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Unknown300864

Apparently now my eyes are bluer skin glowing, definitely lost weight, my only battle is the big keloid scars on my face where I fell over drunk but every time I look in the mirror I know I can cover them up & there a reminder not to drink xxx
Old 07-31-2014, 02:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Skywalker, 60 days is amazing, be proud.i am so looking forward to the day when I have that! Thank you guys, I looked at myself clearly today for the first time in ages and was pretty gutted with what I saw and embarrassed too. People must know something is going on just for the way I look alone :-\ hope I can get some of the good stuff back xxx
Old 07-31-2014, 02:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I sure feel and look a lot better than I did 2.75 months ago when I got sober. Plenty of exercise and eating well. I haven't lost much weight but my shape has changed (for the better!) and I feel much healthier and happier with my appearance.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It's not shallow. My looks deteriorated rapidly when I started drinking every day and my weight that was never an issue suddenly took off and I became fat in an alarmingly short period of time. The good news is that once you stop things improve quite quickly and in a few weeks I noticed a big difference in my skin and lots of lines started to soften or disappear completely. The bloat took about a month and my hair improved in about 3 months ( it had been falling out). I look a lot better. I could lose a few kgs but need to stop eating so much chocolate and do some decent exercise but I don't really care. I don't know how old you are, I am 40 and I suspect if your younger things may improve a bit more quickly. God luck, I am rooting for you fellow kiwi!
Old 07-31-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It'll take time, but physical changes do happen!!
Old 07-31-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you animalnurse for this thread! I have been wondering the same thing. I used to be so young, fresh and healthy looking. I even stayed that way through 10 years of heavy drinking in my 20's. Once I hit the 30 year mark things changed and the past 5 years I've noticed that I look worse and worse with each passing day. I cannot wait to start seeing the changes that everyone mentioned. I could lose about 5 kilos for sure and my skin.... ugh...... it is horrid. I hope to look brighter and better soon. And no, as others said, it is not shallow, it is a normal part of being human to want to look nice.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I tend to be like lots of people, not really looking at myself closely, as I rush about. One day, a few months after I stopped drinking, I took a long look at myself. I noticed my eyes were clearer, my face wasn't puffy, but best of all....my mind / memory felt clear and sharp.