Notices

Pink Cloud

Old 07-24-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pink Cloud

Hi all! Can someone please explain to me what on earth a pink cloud is??!
Old 07-24-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

The first few days or weeks in recovery are normally a time of adjustment for the addict’s body and mind. Early recovery can be a roller coaster of emotions—often frustrating and stressful. After this will come a leveling-out period in which many people will have an almost euphoric feeling, sometimes referred to as a “pink cloud.”

From the Official Blogs of the Changing Lives Foundation.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The pink cloud as it's referred to in recovery is simply a period, usually in early sobriety, where you feel awesome and inspired due to your new found sobriety. Not everyone experiences it, and most that do eventually "come back down" when the reality of the situation sets in.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No kidding. Day 11 here and the pink cloud is breaking up into grey with occasional cracks of lightning.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A natural high from early sobriety. Then boom ! It's gone and the ups and downs of life kick in. A period where I tend to ask myself if that's it? This is life?

Everyone told me the grey after the pink cloud eventually dissipates. I believe this is probably true.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's when you get cured in two weeks.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think I was lucky to not have a pink cloud period.

For me, it was just a gradual brightening of the grey, bleak world I'd created.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wait, what? Is the pink cloud bad? I'm still floating and disgustingly giddy and grateful most of the time...
Old 07-24-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think the pink cloud is bad, but for most people, it ends and 'reality' sets in.

I just gradually began to feel better and better and it worked for me.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I did not see pink, but definitely had days when my mind was cloudy with excitement during the first months. I think in part it was the excitement of novelty, and in part my brain chemicals going on overdrive with stimulation. I had days when I felt almost manic, sometimes just hours. I must say it was pleasant but I recognized them for being extreme and did not get too carried away. I have a tendency to respond to novelty with high levels of excitement, definitely a sort of 'high', but it's better to keep a sense of reality when it happens because it's always temporary. I'm hitting the 6-month mark of sobriety tomorrow and I have not experienced that overexcitement for a while.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
LDT

I don't think there is anything wrong with the proverbial pink cloud. I definitely had it in early sobriety and I loved it. It made me hopeful.....But then it went away. It came back around 6-7 months, then went away again.....Then I realized I was the one responsible for maintaining the "cloud", so I work at getting and keeping it every day. "It", meaning my personal joy.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The only danger is then thinking "that's it, I'm fixed, 1 drink won't hurt" . . . get past those thoughts and your well on your way!!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow! Thank you all so much! I had been "accused" of it and wanted to understand. Tomorrow is 3 weeks for me, yea me! I am feeling wonderful but continue to keep my mind and heart open. I continue to enjoy meetings, in fact, I am going to a second one of the day tonight, but that is just cause I have time. I am working on getting a sponsor, I a,m reading the Big Book, and I am learning to speak to my Higher Power. Prayers for all of us...
Old 07-24-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I haven't experienced it. Maybe it's too early at 13 days sober. I feel more like, okay, better figure out your life now because you now have to deal with it sober.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never had one - like Anna my journey into happiness was gradual and I'm glad it was cos I don't think I would have trusted any other way back then.

On the other hand, dear CarolD always declared she never lost her pink cloud...she loved being in the pink

D
Old 07-24-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When I saw pink, I would make as much forward progress as I could because I knew it would turn grey real fast I needed that support I would build. This was a roller coaster that leveled for me around 5 or 6 months.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Haven't had one yet.......wouldn't mind it for a few days, LOL. I agree with Dee and Anna, just looking forward to gradual improvement!
Old 07-25-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This comment may bight me in the ass but I will put it out there anyhow. I found my pink clouds were correlated towards achieving more spiritual progress. AA's program is one of recovery through a spiritual solution. As such, I wonder if the pink cloud euphemism is more pronounced by personal breakthroughs spiritually. For me this progression was very much a step function (pun intended) and as I would hit new emotional bottoms during recovery by facing things that occurred in life sober each time they would be met by a pink cloud growth or euphoria when I grew through the process.

Those who are spiritual might understand or believe that you get what you need but not always what you want. I found this to be one of the truest statements for me about recovery.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
This comment may bight me in the ass but I will put it out there anyhow. I found my pink clouds were correlated towards achieving more spiritual progress. AA's program is one of recovery through a spiritual solution. As such, I wonder if the pink cloud euphemism is more pronounced by personal breakthroughs spiritually. For me this progression was very much a step function (pun intended) and as I would hit new emotional bottoms during recovery by facing things that occurred in life sober each time they would be met by a pink cloud growth or euphoria when I grew through the process.

Those who are spiritual might understand or believe that you get what you need but not always what you want. I found this to be one of the truest statements for me about recovery.
The only way I see your post possibly biting you in the ass, is if you imply the only way to a "pink cloud" is through "the steps" and/or spirituality, because that would be false. I have done neither "the steps" nor am I "spiritual", but I had an MFer of a "pink cloud", and I'm glad I did. My pink cloud emphasized all I had been missing, for a very, very long time. Because of my pink cloud, I saw what I could have, for the rest of my life, if I continued to live my life as a non-drinker. And I have done that now, for exactly three years today. I mention the three years today, not for a pat on the back, but to show it can be done with or without a formal program.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

WTF - I was implying but not to suggest from a righteous position just because that is what I experienced. When I worked other programs, which I tried I never had the pink cloud experience.

Thank you for the post, as you prove the null hypothesis. So no matter what approach you take pink clouds exist for all.

As I also stated I made the most headway during those pink moments to lock in the setbacks when they would occur, which they always do.