Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I almost convinced myself I could just drink on the weekends last night.

Notices

Old 07-24-2014, 01:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Last night, day four, I started to think I can just have a couple of beers on the weekend. Not wine, because that is my drink of choice. Today is Thursday and I am not going to drink this weekend. I will run long, paint, read, and spend quality time with family. This site is wonderful.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang out here on SR when you feel tempted; there's a special thread on this Newcomers' forum especially for people who need support trying to get through the weekend sober. It'll start this afternoon.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through, you can do this!!
Old 07-24-2014, 03:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Look out for the weekend thread our great friend Weasel might start
Old 07-24-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I'm so glad that you realized what was going on in those thoughts. In my 3rd long term attempt to quit that was the conclusion that I came to and gave in. I was only going to drink on Friday and Saturday nights because I had no responsibility on the weekends. For a short period of time that worked. Then, I would find things that required my drinking during the week. Not often but if there was an opportunity (excuse) I would jump right on it.

What I also found was that since I was denying myself my first love from Sunday through Thursday evenings that I would drink on Friday and Saturday like there was no tomorrow. That's when the full days in bed on Saturday and Sunday began. I would get up at around 2pm sometimes later. Essentially, I was fitting my entire week's worth of drinking in those two evenings and I can't put it any better than the fact that I drank like a glutton. If you could have seen me you'd know what I mean. Already jonesing for the next beer when I still had half of a beer in my hand. It wasn't enjoyment, it was a frenzy.

So my life became waiting to drink from Sunday through Thursday and then swilling on Friday and Saturday nights. That was the true beginning of the end.

Again, I'm so glad you realized that this doesn't work.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The weekend thread has helped me get through those tough days. Each time I go back to weekend drinking it doesnnt take long for me to fall back into daily drinking.

Its just not worth the pain and anxiety.

Stay strong and good luck. You can do this! Stick cluse to SR this weekend
Old 07-24-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

like LadyBlue, I started cramming my drinking into weekends as well...tried to anyways. Eventually, it started seeping it's mess back into the work week. Hangovers that lasted until Wednesday b/c the amount of booze I'd consume until Sunday was ridiculous. I'm sure I still stank until Tuesdays....Glutton? oh bigtime.
I'm in jail on weekends but when I'm done, I know my arse will be in the weekend thread!
Old 07-24-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I thought the SAME thing!! Wine was my choice drink; beer not so much...so being the classic alcoholic, I decided to drink beer. And drink beer I did with great gusto. I learned that craft beers had a pretty high alcohol content. The reality is that alcohol is alcohol. No matter it's form, it will wreck you. I'm really glad that you are smarter than I was. I did a lot of damage to myself from my thinking. Glad you found this site
Old 07-24-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I also went for the high content beer. I have to face it for what it is. I can no longer allow myself to believe I can drink socially. My faith and this site with the positive vibes will help me. My spouse dose not have a dependency issue and will not face the fact that I do. He wants me to be normal .