Notices

Trying to take the 1st step

Old 07-23-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to take the 1st step

I posted my 1st message yesterday and have since been reached out from several people on this board. The support is amazing! I still haven't taken the 1st step-- other than knowing I do have a problem. I have a big vacation coming up. I'm visiting my BFF and we always get together, get drunk, blow lines.... I'm so worried about this trip. Help!
Old 07-23-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. Realization of an addiction is a great place to start. Lots of support here. Keep coming back. It will help.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sobriety is going to take some big changes in life to achieve it, when I got Sober I needed to think about the activities I got involved in and the people I hung out with in order to protect my sobriety.

You can do this, but you need to decide how important changing your life is and stick to your resolve to follow through!!
Old 07-24-2014, 01:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It could be a good idea to try to take the first step in a conducive environment. This is not always possible but it could be difficult if you put yourself in a situation which has strong associations with drinking/using. I'm 14 days sober and I've needed to retreat a bit from the world to get here... You need to be selfish and think about you at the moment... Good luck and it's good to have you around!!
Old 07-24-2014, 01:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi CAFitGirl

Unfortunately you'll never find a good time to quit - there'll always be that party or that function or that vacation or conversely that bad day or that awful thing...

Recovery is about making different, sometimes difficult, even painful choices. Maybe this is not the time for you to hang with your BFF?

D
Old 07-24-2014, 02:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, I am glad you are here.

Since this person is your BFF is there any way possible you could talk to them about remaining sober for your trip/vacation?

It is worth a try, you never know unless you ask. Put some faith in your friendship and see if they are willing to forgo the alcohol/drugs. If not, then at least you know what to expect and they know where you are in your life.

Hang in there!
Old 07-24-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I am sure you are going to defend going on vacation as something you can't get out of, as being something you have to do. In reality, there are very few things we absolutely have to do, and a vacation with drugs and drinking isn't one of them.

Even if you don't plan to use, the tempation will be too great. And if you do plan to go and get drunk and high, I should caution you. I have seen a number of early posts from newcomers who were going to quit--right after the next milestone party or whatever--only to be never heard from again. Meaning they had their shot to quit, and didn't take it.

Take your opportunity to quit now. There is no guarantee it will come around again.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CAFitGirl View Post
I still haven't taken the 1st step-- other than knowing I do have a problem.
I suspect you've known that you have a problem for some time.

Are you ready to do something about it?

If so, it will mean difficult choices as others have mentioned, but you can't have it both ways. You can continue to go down the path you know or you can do what you know needs to be done. It's up to you.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Since I missed you yesterday, Welcome to SR CAFitGirl!
Old 07-24-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

CAfitgirl - PurpleKnight stated is well - choices = Changes.

For me, and I am pretty sure others here may agree, the MOST important issue going forward is to not drink or use. The reflective state of admitting we have a problem can take time.

I know members of my AA group that got to step 4 or 5 before they REALLY understood what powerless and unmanageable mean. It's pretty dramatic. Then after steps one and two we have to take action!!

Peace to you CAfit.......anyone can do this who has desire and willingness which leads to faith.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Fitgirl!

For me admitting and accepting were two very different things entirely! After every binge drunk I would admit my problem and swear I'd never drink/use again, but every two weeks I'd be right back at it. NO amount of negative consequences seemed to matter or derail me. It finally took me seriously hitting rock bottom and facing some serious, serious legal consequences to get my attention! I finally humbled myself and 'accepted' that I have a disease and sought help for my addiction.

Getting together with your BFF without accepting that you have the disease of addiction is only setting yourself up to use, but I think you know this...I always knew when I was setting events inline so I would be able to use. Either way, only you can decide to get help and it starts with acceptance, accept that we have the disease and then get the proper help. Until then I can make you one promise, it WILL get worse and the consequences WILL get more severe until we are humbled enough to ask for help.

If you have the disease of addiction then I hope you get help sooner then later, before it's too late.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recovered

Originally Posted by CAFitGirl View Post
I posted my 1st message yesterday and have since been reached out from several people on this board. The support is amazing! I still haven't taken the 1st step-- other than knowing I do have a problem. I have a big vacation coming up. I'm visiting my BFF and we always get together, get drunk, blow lines.... I'm so worried about this trip. Help!
Make a decision. Are you done yet or not?

If you are done, cancel the trip. If you mean the 1st step as in AA, then get thee to a meeting and find a sponsor (temporary one if needed). The steps are the solution.

If you are not done, go on the trip. Nothing to freak about if it is status quo. In fact, it may be the thing that REALLY gets you all the way ready to go to any lengths for sobriety.

So either way, it could be a good thing. I chose the latter a bunch of times before choosing the former. Because I still wanted to have fun a couple more times.

Glad you are here.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Originally Posted by mfanch View Post
Make a decision. Are you done yet or not?

If you are done, cancel the trip. If you mean the 1st step as in AA, then get thee to a meeting and find a sponsor (temporary one if needed). The steps are the solution.

If you are not done, go on the trip. Nothing to freak about if it is status quo. In fact, it may be the thing that REALLY gets you all the way ready to go to any lengths for sobriety.

So either way, it could be a good thing. I chose the latter a bunch of times before choosing the former. Because I still wanted to have fun a couple more times.

Glad you are here.
Funny how all of us find a different path to sobriety.

Me, I'd say, "Are you done and know it?" If so, then go on the trip, and know that you will be able to resist the temptation. In fact, your temperance could serve as a good model for you BFF who may also need help.

If you're not sure if you're done, then don't go. Because you know what will happen.

I still haven't chosen the latter. When I was done and knew I was done, it was time to quit, full stop. No "see you later friend alcohol". Nope, done.

Best wishes, and let us know how things turn out.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Not to tell you what to do, but as others have pointed out, this trip sounds like big trouble, like an excuse to keep drinking/using ("well you are on vacation, it's different than drinking/using in everyday life" - your AV), and a high peer pressure situation to continue to drink/use.

For me to get started in sobriety, I had to make big alterations to my lifestyle. I had planned a trip to see my best friend in Scottsdale this summer. But he's also a huge drunk (that will not fully acknowledge his problem or take steps to correct it) and the last time I went I was drinking every second I was there. To get sober, I cancelled this trip. I can never again take that trip. We can remain friends on some level, but our friendship will be forever different (and weakened) if he remains a drunk. That's a sacrifice I have made for my sobriety. At some point you may need to ask yourself if you are willing to make similar big changes and sacrifices. I'm approaching two months sober and I don't even know if he is going to remain a good friend of mine going forward, him and I just don't see the world the same way anymore (at least the same as I am beginning to see it). And I have to accept that, sobriety is worth it.