Notices

Hello

Old 04-20-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Im 27 years old and have drank a bottle and half of wine for the past 9months every nite. I don't drink in the daytime. I usually start drinking about 10pm until 1pm. Ive suffered with insomnia since 2009 and drinking has helped me sleep and has now spiralled into this. I hate alcohol its not the fun it used to be. Wud it be safe to cut down my alcohol intake until it was nil or shud i jus go cold turkey. I cant believe i got myself into this mess!
Old 04-20-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would go to your doctor and tell them the truth about your drinking and that you want to stop. They may be able to help you get safely thru detox. After that, you should choose a method of recovery like AA or other programs, out patient treatment, counseling. Then work it like your life depends on it, cause it does.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, RhiRhi. I agree with least; your doctor should be able to give you the best advice on detoxing. Moderation never worked for me and I see tapering as similar; once I picked up a glass of wine, all bets were off.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am worried about telling my doctor as i dont know how he wud take it. I hate feeling like this
Old 04-20-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

I would pretty certain it won't be anything your Dr hasn't heard before, he can only treat you if your honest about the extent of your drinking!! what harm can it do?!
Old 04-20-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RhiRhi View Post
Im 27 years old and have drank a bottle and half of wine for the past 9months every nite. I don't drink in the daytime. I usually start drinking about 10pm until 1pm. Ive suffered with insomnia since 2009 and drinking has helped me sleep and has now spiralled into this. I hate alcohol its not the fun it used to be. Wud it be safe to cut down my alcohol intake until it was nil or shud i jus go cold turkey. I cant believe i got myself into this mess!
I am now 65 years old and have drank alcohol since I was 19. I detoxed myself about 3 months ago for the last time around Feb 1st. understand this - alcohol disrupts your sleeping even if you are not drinking every day - I was a nasty mess for about a week or ten days - but it passes. Cutting down is only an excuse. wait until you run out of excuses like I did - and there is only one reality. NO ETOH ever. hope it's the same for you. Hope you find a good enough reason to quit before you lose something important to you - like life, liberty and the PURSUIT of happiness. WE are not guaranteed happiness for our behavior - but what is happening between our ears.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi RhiRhi - welcome

Detox can sometimes be problematic - seeing a Dr is best for your own well being - I'm sure your Dr has dealt with this before. If necessary you could always find another Dr. for this.

D