Notices

My first post - time to quit drinking

Old 04-18-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first post - time to quit drinking

Hello, this my first post.

I'm ready to quit drinking. Daily drinker for years. Can't sleep without alcohol. Only way to sleep sober is to take anti-anxiety prescription which I only use for the rare nights when I can't drink.

The last two times I couldn't drink I took my meds. On top of the usual night sweats and misery, the sweat smelled awful. The next day I had a rash on my arms, upper back and rear end. I drank that night and the next morning the rash was gone so I knew my body is in trouble and this is getting really bad. I googled the alcohol rash and it led me here. Thank God - I think this is what I need. I don't want to experience the next stage of this horrific thing and I'm ready to quit. I can't stand the drunk life anymore. I have too much to live for and as it is, I do nothing but go to work and come home and drink.

I tried AA and it was just an alcohol free bar where everyone was miserable, chain smoking and slamming coffee like crazy. I never went back. I've called a few different treatment services, they run my insurance and then insist that I need inpatient treatment. I'm not doing that, at least not before trying something else first.

I've read a lot on this board and I have to say I think I need to be here. I think you all can help me. I know I can't have just one beer. I don't even like beer, I just like being drunk and numb. I know I that once I stop I can never drink again. I'm ok with that, I just need help.

EternalQ has posted a LOT that really hits home with me, makes wonderful sense, so much that I had tears. I have 5 beers left and am going to finish them tonight. I want tomorrow to be the first Saturday night in as long as I can remember that I didn't drink.

Sorry for the long post but I'm sure some of you can relate and will be able to give me some words that will help me quit for good. FWIW, I can quit for a week up to a month so I can do that, I just can't get past that without going back to drinking for months on end again but I think I'm ready now.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Joe

I stumbled in here a few years back. I'm glad I did. The support and advice here got me back on the right track. I'm sure you'll find the same

Are you planning to see a Dr? I recommend cos detox can be problematic for some of us. It's best to be safe

and I agree - EQ is awesome

D
Old 04-18-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Joe. I'm so glad you found us.

That's how I found SR too - googling health issues. I started reading and immediately felt less anxious. I had no one else to talk to about my struggle with alcohol - no one understood what I went through. Being here, you'll never be alone.

I'm glad you've acknowledged that you can't drink again. I wasted so many precious years trying to control it. It led me to drinking all day. You sound ready to reclaim your life, and we know you can. I'm happy you joined us.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome joe, a lot of support here. Tomorrow will be a good day stay positive.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Joe. Welcome!

You are right, lots of resources here and so many people who have gone through the process of letting go of alcohol and starting a new life.

Look forward to hearing more from you and wishing you well on your journey. Good on you for recognising there is a problem and that you are willing to do something about it!
Old 04-18-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi.
I just found this site today and so far it seems great! I have been drinking for years but on and off. I can relate. I drink wine every night. sometimes a whole bottle. A big bottle. I want to quit also but I just can't. I'm drinking now. I don't want to but my body is craving it.

I think this is a great site and I'm sure you will get lots of support on here. I'm excited to be here and so far I feel as if I'm not alone. Stay strong!
Old 04-18-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks D. I have a good feeling about getting on the right track here.

I have detoxed on my own without my Dr. enough to know what to expect - it's just so miserable that I don't want to do it. I will have to check my bp often and use my rx as needed for about a week.

Then things get better, I start feeling a lot better and I want to celebrate by drinking. So I do. And on and on it goes. I'm sick of it. And ready for it to end so I can live.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh man - so many replies so soon, I have tears again, thank you all so far for posting and the confidence, I can't wait to receive your help and maybe even help someone else in this process. I feel more hopeful than I ever have in this short time. I'm speechless.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joe176111
Hello, this my first post.

I'm ready to quit drinking. Daily drinker for years. Can't sleep without alcohol. Only way to sleep sober is to take anti-anxiety prescription which I only use for the rare nights when I can't drink.

The last two times I couldn't drink I took my meds. On top of the usual night sweats and misery, the sweat smelled awful. The next day I had a rash on my arms, upper back and rear end. I drank that night and the next morning the rash was gone so I knew my body is in trouble and this is getting really bad. I googled the alcohol rash and it led me here. Thank God - I think this is what I need. I don't want to experience the next stage of this horrific thing and I'm ready to quit. I can't stand the drunk life anymore. I have too much to live for and as it is, I do nothing but go to work and come home and drink.

I tried AA and it was just an alcohol free bar where everyone was miserable, chain smoking and slamming coffee like crazy. I never went back. I've called a few different treatment services, they run my insurance and then insist that I need inpatient treatment. I'm not doing that, at least not before trying something else first.

I've read a lot on this board and I have to say I think I need to be here. I think you all can help me. I know I can't have just one beer. I don't even like beer, I just like being drunk and numb. I know I that once I stop I can never drink again. I'm ok with that, I just need help.

EternalQ has posted a LOT that really hits home with me, makes wonderful sense, so much that I had tears. I have 5 beers left and am going to finish them tonight. I want tomorrow to be the first Saturday night in as long as I can remember that I didn't drink.

Sorry for the long post but I'm sure some of you can relate and will be able to give me some words that will help me quit for good. FWIW, I can quit for a week up to a month so I can do that, I just can't get past that without going back to drinking for months on end again but I think I'm ready now.
Welcome!

I also noticed what you described........... my sweat just smelled AWFUL after a night of heavy drinking. And i mean, even the so called "maximum strength" deodorants did absolutely nothing......... my armpits still gave off a very raunch rancorous odor, it somehow "overwhelmed" the deodorant and seeped thru anyways. I guess its a testament to just how toxic alcohol really is, so much so that it seems to "dissolve" and overwhelm even the allegedly heavy duty deodorant brands.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If you can get quit, that's half the deal right there. Then don't drink today (helps if you can stay away from places that serve or sell booze for awhile and don't hang out with drinkers), and .. then don't drink today.

Making the call to do something about it and looking for help, good signs there. You're making big progress already - good job!
Old 04-18-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Grubby, yes it was terrible, has happened twice so far and I want this crap out of my body. There's only so much a body can take and mine is telling me it's getting sick of being poisoned. Now if my brain will cooperate with my body, I can let the healing process begin.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks! I've 3 more beers so I'm drinking today. I can get quit, it's just misery but I will do it. Making myself go through the misery of getting sober and then staying quit is my problem. I have no problem staying away from bars. Actually can't stand them anymore. Only have a couple friends left that still drink and they're never just a phone call away so it's just me most nights. I think I'm at a point now where things are going to go downhill rapidly if I don't change. I still have health and a job. This can change overnight and I know it. I'm scared of life without alcohol because I don't know it well. I think SR might be just what I need. I haven't had this much support in such a short time EVER. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Notmyrealname View Post
If you can get quit, that's half the deal right there. Then don't drink today (helps if you can stay away from places that serve or sell booze for awhile and don't hang out with drinkers), and .. then don't drink today.

Making the call to do something about it and looking for help, good signs there. You're making big progress already - good job!
Old 04-18-2014, 08:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Joe. Take it one day at a time. You might find you have many stages along the way. SR is extremely important to my daily choice to live sober. Hope we can support you too. I'm 118 days sober..... But we all have a first day. Just because it is hard, don't give up on yourself!
Old 04-18-2014, 09:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome! This is a great place to hang out. I think I was here every day for the first few weeks. Blessings on 4-19-14.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You can do this Joe

All here to support you!
Old 04-18-2014, 10:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Joe, I am just a f 'Re days ahead of you, but can honestly.say this site has been my saving grace, thus far. It really does help.to be in the new comers area,mostly as for now I am learning from those who go before me what to expect in sobriety. Stick with us!
Old 04-18-2014, 11:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StormiNormi View Post
Welcome Joe, I am just a f 'Re days ahead of you, but can honestly.say this site has been my saving grace, thus far. It really does help.to be in the new comers area,mostly as for now I am learning from those who go before me what to expect in sobriety. Stick with us!
Thanks to all who have replied to me. You have all given me such hope and peace and I can't wait to sign on tomorrow and share my experience of beginning my sobriety! I'm grateful that I found this site. I feel like I've found the place where people care about each other and just want to help and not pass judgement. I feel blessed to be a part of this. Good night.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here Joe
Old 04-19-2014, 12:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Recovering

Great decision Joe! Stick around here - you'll get lots of support. Remember, you only have to go through the tough early days and weeks once.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good post buddy. I just joined here as well. I can relate,I've been in aa for over 10 years and multiple rehabs and so forth and I only have three days sober. What I have always been told is you can't swear off drinking forever, only today. Not all aa is bad but also smart recovery is another good program. I may only have a few days but what I can tell you is sobriety is possible. I have been sober for awhile before and can again and so can you. Hugs