Notices

Help and Support Needed

Old 04-15-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help and Support Needed

I wonder whether you can help me. As you may know I have had a coronary arterial valve transplant and have had a pacemaker put in. I am in a local post
surgery rehabilitation center. Although my home is nearby my wife has a number of health issues and, because of her timidity in hospital settings, is reluctant to visit me. My two children live far away, one in the midwest and the other near New York City. I am lonely and upset because I may have to have another operation ureter blockage which followed the heart operation. I have few visitors. Thus I am alone, my future is uncertain and I wish to turn to the internet for companionship and support. I need "visitors" from the internet. Fortunately I have no craving for alcohol or any other substance. I am thankful for my sobriety and for all the friends, on Soberrecovery and elsewhere, who have helped me get such long sobriety. I hope it has led me to help others. Now I have other mountains to climb. Like Robert Frost I have "promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep."
The bottom line, then, is can you help give me some support, suggestions (including other internet support websites) to help me in this situation, provide companionship, support, ways of dealing with things that have to be done, other mountains to climb?

W.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You'll always find support here Wpainter.

I think recovery is about how we deal with the not so great times too, irrespective of whether we have the urge to drink again or not, so I'm glad you posted.

Operations and hospital stays are a nuisance but it sounds like they want to make sure you have a clean bill of health before they send you home? Hopefully the process will be speedy.

I have found out about two seniors forum groups - can't vouch for them myself of course but they might be useful to you - I'll send you a PM

D
Old 04-15-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

P.S. Sorry for the double post. Hope the admnistrators will remove any duplicate which seems like an earlier version of the "final" one.

W.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hope you are doing well WPainterw, Stay Strong and Well! Bobby
Old 04-15-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bill,

I'm glad you decided to post.

I'm sorry that you're stuck in the hospital and that you are facing more procedures to go through.

You have lots of friends here, so there will always be someone around to talk to.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Sorry to hear you're feeling a bit blue, wpw. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Ureter blockage reminded me of a story. About 30 years ago I had a kidney stone stuck in my ureter. Worst physical pain of my life, but it would come and go. Whenever that stone would move I would double over. The surgeon went in after it once, but couldn't get it. After that I was in and out of the emergency room several times until he finally decided to go in after it again.

The night before my second surgery that stone popped loose and came out on it's own. I was in the bathroom of my hospital room, peeing through a filter. I was very excited to be rid of that thing so I scooped it up, rinsed it off, and trotted out into the hallway in search of someone to tell. First person I saw was another patient. I showed him the stone and told him my story. He was happy for me, then told me his story. He was in the hospital for his 7th kidney stone, and the doctors were going to replace his ureters with pieces of his small intestine so that he could pass larger stones.

Suddenly made my ordeal seem not so bad by comparison.

Good luck with your uretering. Hope you can get home soon.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would recommend you visit u tube and search out sermons by John MacArthur. You will find hundreds of good solid sermons on most any topic.
All so very good for the heart and soul.

will be sending you a friend request
hope you will accept

MM
Old 04-15-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I fixed the double thread.

I recommend you tube to help pass the time - there's an ever growing amount of old TV shows, documentaries and what not available on there now

D
Old 04-15-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad to hear your surgery was successful Painter! Sorry you are laid up, but it sounds like you were keeping the heart guys in business for a bit there. Hope things go as planned going forward.

If I was still out east I'd drop by, used to live in Boston area.. eventually moved to Winthrop, nice place out by the ocean, man I miss that place.

(If you are still laid up this weekend at least there's the marathon festivities on TV, not sure how other people feel about marathon but watching other people running in extreme agony always lightens me right up.)

Stay strong buddy.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

YouTube is excellent. You can sign up for a free month of Netflix also.

I really hope you get well soon.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Bill - Glad your surgery went well. I hope you make a speedy recovery. Hats off to you for maintaining your sobriety through this difficult time. It is a testament to your inner strength.
Keep us updated on your progress.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

P.S. Thanks so much, folks! But keep the comments and wonderful help coming! There are at least two problems here. Addiction! This time to computers! And also, as you know, to dogs1 (My dog at home). Also boredom and loneliness. I wish I could see all you wonderful people, meet you! My AV is, as I have said, crying like a baby but my inner rational side seems to be energized. Maybe that is a response to the agony of the AV. It's not getting what "it wants when it wants it". This activates the more rational side of the brain which says in effect "behave or I get your leash out! Stay in your kennel and don't make so much noise!" I sense my more rational facilities going a mile a minute. Very interesting but as W.C. Fields liked to say, "I'd rather be in Philadelpha!" (which he hated- i.e. "this place is even worse than Philadephia").
Anyway,keep the wonderful support coming. I need all you, my very dear friends. Thank you for being who you are. We're not dealing with alcohol cravings (but I did eat two boxes or cookies yesterday, since the food here is questionable). But we sure are dealing with the AV (the cookies seem to calm it down). Everyone has an AV but that has to be kept in its place and watched carefully. Like a spoiled little kid.

W.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wpainterw, wishing you a speedy recovery and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!
Old 04-16-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I hope they get you straightened out and back home soon! Best wishes to you and your wife. It must be tough for her having you in the hospital- she's probably lonely too.

Dee makes a great point...I've killed many hours watching YouTube when I should have been studying or doing something productive!
Old 04-16-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks for being an inspiration to me!
Old 04-16-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wishing you a good day Bill

D
Old 04-16-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
AA member

Sending you love and hugs wpainterw.

You are in my prayers.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

WPainter, Hope you are doing better! I feel for you on the eating cookies, LOL! Just spent 54 days in jail over a 2 1/2 yo dui and the food was quite lacking there too, gained 20 lbs eating candy and cookies and my sustanance, no taste white bread and peanut butter. Gotta get it off soon or I will need to buy a new wardrobe, LOL. Get Well soon! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby
Old 04-16-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

wpainterw....

I, too, wish you a speed recovery.

I memorized this 3rd step prayer and
use it as often as I need it. Another
recovery tool in my toolbox.

God, I offer myself to Thee-
To build with me
and to do with me as Thou wilt.
Relieve me of the bondage of self,
that I may better do Thy will.
Take away my difficulties,
that victory over them may bear witness
to those I would help of Thy Power,
Thy Love, and Thy Way of life.
May I do Thy will always!
Old 04-16-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sending you love and hugs and prayers for a speedy recovery and return to your home.