Notices

Class of April 2014

Old 04-01-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

After getting a few days here and there, seems as though April 1st will be a good day to hang it up for good.

I'm in!
Old 04-01-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I'm joining this class though technically first day sober (again) was March 31st. Day 2 and taking my mom to lunch for tea and good food on her bday.

Good for you Tricky - any day is a good start indeed
Old 04-01-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Welcome class of April 2014 from a April 2013er. Stick close to SR couldn't have made it through this last year without it!

Congratulations all on your day 1
Old 04-01-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I have spent a few hours cruising the mall with my son to get a suit, shoes, belt, socks, shirts, ties, yikes! Expensive! But at least no more college tuition payments. <insert cheerleader emoticon here>

Let me tell you, shopping would have been a whole lot easier without a hangover! Darn relapse. But I am sticking to my guns today and now I know that moderation doesn't work for me.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I'm in
Old 04-01-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Perfect!
Old 04-01-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Aprils a special month for me cos it's when I got sober
I as well.

Just want to welcome everyone. I joined the April Thread in 2010 and it helped me start my journey. Amazing to me its been almost four years.

For those new to SR...welcome! For those maybe not so new, but giving April a chance...you chose a great month!
Old 04-01-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Good luck to all. You can do it.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hey guys! Day 1 for me again
Old 04-01-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Holli View Post
I have spent a few hours cruising the mall with my son to get a suit, shoes, belt, socks, shirts, ties, yikes! Expensive! But at least no more college tuition payments. <insert cheerleader emoticon here>

Let me tell you, shopping would have been a whole lot easier without a hangover! Darn relapse. But I am sticking to my guns today and now I know that moderation doesn't work for me.
You had a relapse too? I went seven days and then I went out last night with my friends.

I am also hungover
Old 04-01-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to everyone. Lets make this the month for change

D
Old 04-01-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hey there. It's the evening of day 9. Had a crazy work day and some stinky thoughts but I got past it without too much trouble. Started cooking dinner right after work and now I'm good. For me, regular food and plenty of water are critical to this journey.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

jade, let's do this together!! Day 1 is a tough one, glad it's pretty much done!
Old 04-01-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Trying harder, good job on 9 days, and I totally agree with you. I got 3 weeks under my belt before and I always made dinner as soon as I got home. Worked great for me then and I fully intend to do it again. But went out for burgers tonight. :-)
Old 04-01-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Ugh im so hungover I cant even think about drinking.

Im good for today at least.

Yay for day 1 Holli
Old 04-01-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RiverFriendAgn View Post
I'm joining this class though technically first day sober (again) was March 31st. Day 2 and taking my mom to lunch for tea and good food on her bday.

Good for you Tricky - any day is a good start indeed
nothing like getting an early start .

Felt more clear headed this morning, ....and grateful this Endless Winter is over, ......... looking forward to a sober Spring !

Looks like it's gonna take a while to start commuting to work on my bike, if today's any indicator !?!

I need to follow TryingHarder , and drink more water.

Congrats Holli; .....to you and your son !! It'll be wonderful going to his graduation feeling great !!!!

Dee, ....I finally told the the cable co. ( yesterday morning )I didn't really like tv anymore. Nip it.
But I would like their "$15 internet special ." It's a whole new world not riding to the library to get online !? LO

I'm still down here at this mind-numbing job, but liking it
......well, disliking it less

Alright gang , it's almost the second !!

Hang tough ,
......that means you too , Jade
Old 04-01-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hi, just checking in before crashing. Looks like there's quite a few of us gonna work it this month. I spent my day taking it easy and focusing on the basics... health food, lots of water, fresh air and exercise and tending to things that I usually procrastinate about. Procrastinating is something I do that invariably causes me WAY too much avoidable stress. Tomorrow I go stock up on dark chocolate, that'll be fun!

What did y'all do today? Stay sober, k?
Old 04-01-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hello Class of April 2014!

I am from the Class of March 2013 and I would like to welcome all the newcomers and encourage all the people that have been in other classes and are still struggling.

I have learned quite a few things in the last year.

Stopping drinking is the first step. Staying stopped takes work, you need to put the work in. Develop a plan, if that plan isn't working, redevelop that plan. There is no "1 size fits all" answers.

Learn about as many different ways of recovery as you can, take the parts that work for you and run with them. Don't bypass any information because you don't like the concept right away.

Stay close to this group. I have found that my Marchers are the absolute best support that I have going. It really helps to be in contact with people that are having like thought and experiencing the same emotions.

Check in with other classes, ask questions, there is so much information here, almost every class has someone who has been where you are.

Remember that life still continues, the stressors that caused you to drink/drug are still there, it's learning how to deal with them in a positive manner that will help you stay stopped.

If boredom creeps in, find some way to occupy yourself. Learn a new skill, revisit some long lost hobbies. Find things you enjoy.

Look everywhere for inspiration.
In the Daily Threads, Deeker runs a 24 Hour accountability thread. All you have to do is commit to not using that day, she also writes an inspirational message on this thread everyday.

I myself have found a true inspiration this past weekend.

A friend of mine, who was also a member here passed away Sunday morning, she was diagnosed with Stage 4 small cell cancer back in September. She was about 2 months sober after a recent relapse.
After hearing the diagnosis, I'm sure most people would have said, " To hell with it, I'm going to drink" and nobody would have faulted them. She didn't do that. We talked a few weeks ago and she told me that a few people had asked her about staying sober after that kind of news and with such a grim prognosis.

Her answer was. "If by some miracle I do survive, I don't want to feel that I wasted any of my time"

No matter how bad my day/week/month has been, it is insignificant to what she went through. Yet she stayed true to her commitment right up to the sad end. If she could be that strong, there is no reason I cant. I will remember her words for the rest of my life.

If you do slip, get right back, admit it to yourself and start working again.

Stay Strong Everyone

Ken
Old 04-01-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hey all,

I'm in. Time to feel better physically and mentally.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hey April peeps! One day down I went to work and then a meeting. I almost didn't go because they still really scare me (not because of the meeting itself, I'm just horribly shy) but I made myself go because I was afraid that if I went straight home I'd grab some wine on the way and say "Meh. I'll join the class for May." It's scary how predictable I am.

Hope tomorrow goes well for everyone!