Notices

Day one! Quitting marijuana...need support!

Old 01-16-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Day one! Quitting marijuana...need support!

Hello! What a wonderful site for all. I thank you for the chance to support others and receive some! My "thing" is weed...I have been smoking everyday for 9 years. Before that it was a party thing or once in awhile. But life took ahold of me and I haven't found peace in 9 years except when I smoke. But I need to stop, it's starting to ruin my life and relationships with others. I never thought this would be a problem, I always thought when I'm ready to quit ill just quit. I want today to be day one....iv been saying that for over 2 years but I'm ready now, no more excuses. I need support in a bad way though....if I can do 3 days sober I know I can do this. Could someone be my mentor? Or what's the best way to use this site for help. Thank you!
Old 01-16-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Nicholexo, may I ask what you enjoy in weed the most?

I'm currently trying to beat my drug of choice, alcohol.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes

It easies my mind. Helps me relax and not think so much! Plus helps me sleep like a baby
Old 01-16-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are interested in quitting, though. Why is that exactly, you mentioned things in your first post but can you define the motivations more clearly, based on negative effects you've experienced with weed?
Old 01-16-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi there. I can relate. I've been sober for a bit after smoking for a long time. It's been tough at times but now when I'm with family I am fully present, not thinking about slipping out for a puff. The clarity I have now isn't worth giving up. It's rather nice driving home after a late night with friends and having no worries of getting pulled over, or being able to apply for a job without wondering if they test, and smelling good, I could go on. My day one or two I tossed my bong off my deck. It was a big moment for me, haven't had a puff since.
-Ted
Old 01-16-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow that's awesome! Ya last year I tossed my pipe and everything in the lake.....the next day I was back at it.
I want to quit becasue it's taking over my life. It's like smoking cigs to me. Have to have...I don't hang out with good people anymore, even my best of friends don't smoke...and iv been avoiding them for years. I also am a single mom and I can't show my daughter that doing drugs is ok. I also feel like it is starting to make me depressed. Or it could be the fact I rely on it and it just upsets me. I wanna know what life is like sober..I wanna remeber my little girl growing up and I wanna start associating with good people. I love my pot head friends but their going no where. One day I went a whole day....I haven't had a dream in years....that night I woke everyone up screaming in my sleep...the dream was so real.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So your life changed for the better? How did u do it?
Old 01-16-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was an all day everday weed smoker, (and I'm an alcoholic). The first few days weren't bad, days 4-6 I was incredibily irritable. After about three weeks I started feeling and sleeping normal again. You're right, dreams come back, sometimes very vivid dreams. It's like your brain is making up for lost time.
I'm 5 months sober from pot and booze now because I too have a child that needs a present parent, I've done it in great part by going to at least one AA meeting a week. Since it sounds like pot is your main thing maybe you wanna look into a MA meeting. It will be a room full of people exactly like you.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I could go to a AA meeting but we live in the middle of no where the closest Na or Ma meeting would be almost 2 hours away...that's why I turned to this website. I know a lot of people feel silly saying they have a promblem with weed when's there's more terriable drugs to be addicted to.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nothing to feel silly about, if it's getting in the way of living a full life and being who you really are it is pretty terrible. Weed is just a slower, sneakier life stealer. This site is great, I supplement meetings with check ins here (mostly reading). But it's not the same as connecting with others that have your problem people face to face. In my opinion that's needed for happy, long-term sobriety.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You can do it!
Old 01-16-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When did you all know you were ready....what made you get trough the first week?
Old 01-16-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I made an appt. with my doctor and got a checkup and tests because I am a bit of a hypochondriac and I always feared I had HIV and herpes and lymes and you name it. That was big for me cuz in a way I was smoking to run away. I asked my doctor all the questions I had been too embarrassed to. And I saw my mom, and when she asked what was wrong I told her I hadn't smoked all day. She has always hoped I'd quit, and she took me grocery shopping and came to my house and helped clean up and made me feel better like only my mom can. I had quit smoking cigs 4months prior, and quit drinking about 3 prior so I had had some practice:-) But it was tough giving up that last big addictive chemical, I had to fight myself every minute, and force myself to eat for the first couple days. In my craziness of the first day or two I lashed out at a couple friends and I don't recommend that. I also had a buddy who I spoke to each day who lived a ways away who had quit and we poured out our emotions over the phone. After all that it was like "well, don't wanna have to go through that again!" I was a heavy all day type smoker for the record. You CAN do it. All of SR is rootin for ya!
-Ted
Old 01-16-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was a heavy, all-day smoker for 10 years or so and smoked a little in the years preceding that.

I found I wanted to know what it was like to be clean and sober. I figured that I'd spent a lot of time smoking weed and I at least wanted to know what life was like without it. I figured I could always go back if I didn't like being clean.

The first days and months were kind of hard. It takes some time to adjust. It may help to google marijuana withdrawal symptoms so you know what you're facing, although they vary for everyone. As mentioned above on here, the vivid dreams are a common thing, but they get better after a week or two.

For a couple of months, I tended to feel kind of down and unmotivated a lot of the time. Exercise and eating well helps, but you just have to give your body a little time, after all, you've been smoking a LONG time and your body has adapted to it.

I have a long thread on here about my quit journey: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...wakenbake.html. I started by tapering down, but a lot of people recommend cold turkey. I think by about page 5 I finally made the leap and made my first whole day without smoking any. Now, I'm at almost 6 months weed-free!!

At first, it was hard to imagine that I'd ever make it. Now, I can't imagine going back. I feel so much calmer, less anxious and just stable. Plus, I enjoy not worrying about getting caught, not having to deal with pot head friends (nice, harmless people mostly, but just not going anywhere with their lives, as you mentioned). The extra money I have is a HUGE plus. It's nice to pay my bills and not go waste cash on weed. I even have money in savings now. And it's nice to have my head out of the cloud. It took a little time to get used to it, but it was so worth it.

Another link that really helped me both with weed and alcohol was the link on PAWS Why We Don’t Get Better Immediately: Post-acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) | What...Me Sober?. It has some good info on why we don't immediately feel better after we quit and what we can do to speed up the healing process in our brains.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you! I'll check that out! It's funny becasue of all that has happen to me in the last few years.....my brother is an addict and has been sober now for 4 months but is still smoking weed. And I just broke up with the love of my life becasue he couldent get off the pills. My goal is to get myself complete clean and help others....I can't stand to see how our generation has abused drugs. Plus I wanna be all I know I can be and weed is only holding me back.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

One step at a time. First I got off pain killers due to severe spinal injury, now alcohol. I smoked weed for a larger part of my life, but the minute I found out I was pregnant with my now 16 year old I quit. I am around it always, since it is legal in my state and county..But I never miss it or wish I could still do it. It took me a few months to learn how to become more social again and sleep was hard for a while. But now if I smoke I get wired and anxiety.
Try to find other ways to keep your mind busy. You may have to train your brain that life is enjoyable when not stoned.
You can message me anytime and I would be glad to chat when you need a friend. I do understand the dependency and am surrounded by many pot smokers as well as many who quit. I highly respect your choice and hope you find the help and advice you are looking for.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome to SR Nicholexo

I was a daily weed smoker for 30 years. I has irritable and a little restless when I quit but nothing too bad.

The main struggle I think is to stay off the stuff once you feel ok - I had to change my social circle a little and find healthy ways to keep occupied.

I don;t want to be a downer but I think you'll need to budget for a little longer than 3 days to get over this - I was feeling ok within a week or so but I struggled with cravings for a long time after.

Marijuana is very persuasive like that....

Here's some links that may help?

MARIJUANA – A Guide to Quitting
https://www.marijuana-anonymous.org/...from-marijuana
Quitting Marijuana a 30 Day Self Help Guide // OADE // University of Notre Dame
Quitting Cannabis

glad you've joined us

D

Last edited by Dee74; 01-22-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

I gave up alcohol and pot at the same time. Anything that messes up my head feeds my alcoholism. That's me.

It can be done! Move forward!!!
Old 01-16-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you Nicholexo. I'm so glad you're making this big change in your life.
We're happy to have you with us.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

get interested in the computer
try some photoshop or something
i always was stoned at work but since i become a computer geek i cant do it
i just look at the screen like a stunned mullet