Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

weekend thread jan 3rd 4th & 5th of 2014 come help ourselves get through

Notices

weekend thread jan 3rd 4th & 5th of 2014 come help ourselves get through

Old 01-04-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Arctic, if your husband drinks, can you go to your room and watch mindless TV if you have trouble focusing?
No TV except in living room/main space. But yeah I'm gonna need to find something to really,really,really occupy my mind tonight.
I really need a hobby.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Headed a little further north later today for a late Christmas celebration with bf's family. I'm sure I will need to practice my deep breathing but it will be ok...looking forward to meeting new puppy. Later, as usual, driving my son back and forth to her gf's; as much as I wish he had his license, I am not eager to have him drive in this weather and I do smile lots about the fact that I'm not looped so I can drive him anywhere at anytime!
Old 01-04-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Louise82 View Post
Btw, what are everyone's thoughts on my new avatar? Is the pink too bright and loud? It's still kind of startling me every time I submit a post, lol.
It's beautiful!
Old 01-04-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Saturday morning and trying to get organized! That was the theme of my CBT session yesterday; I have a long list of things to do and I feel disorganized in my approach. Overwhelmed, even. This leads to thoughts of escape. Which leads to thoughts of drinking.

So the key, I think is organization! So, off I go with a pot of Chinese Oolong to organize!

Be well everyone!
My DH LOVES that tea!

P.S. There's nothing better than being organized. I feel like my mad organizational "skillz" have improved significantly with each sober day. Good luck!
Old 01-04-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArcticSA View Post
No TV except in living room/main space. But yeah I'm gonna need to find something to really,really,really occupy my mind tonight.
I really need a hobby.
Hey ArcticSA, do you like to read or play any video games? I don't play Candy Crush but a lot of my friends can lose all track of time while playing it. I read A LOT and play Sims 3. Both are total escapes that break my total, obsessive focus on unhealthy things (i.e. thinking of alcohol, worries, etc.). If all else fails, maybe take a bubble bath or hot shower, hang out in this thread, or go to bed early? Think the drink through, too--if you don't drink, you will be soooooooooo happy in the morning!

Also, I know that there's been a lot of chatter on ice cream in this thread, but seriously, do you have any sweet treats in the house that you could make for yourself if your BIL and DH drink this evening? Once I had a serving of ice cream, my cravings usually evaporated.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Ringing in on Sat morning. Looking forward to good football this weekend, esp the college bowl games. So far, they've been pretty good!

I'm struggling, like a lot of people. I keep thinking, it's ok, everyone drinks. You can stop after 1, just relax. I know it's a lie. I have to stay in reality about this. The AV can come up with some mind-bending arguments and I am exhausted trying to fight it.

Keep up the good fight. It's always so good to see everyone here trying and doing the next right thing!
Old 01-04-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Oolong is my favorite tea, too! I've probably made 50 pots of tea in the past few days and now I've started blending my own. This is what I have done to distract myself for the past couple of days:

Bought a digital description to a magazine I've always wanted
Started blending tea
Downloaded a digital library book
Started playing a new mmo
Made a list of all of my past interests and found feeds for them using a new app
Found recipes using only ingredients I already have
Started watching a whole new genre of movies

Hmmm, I guess that's really just drinking tea and doing digital stuff, but it's been fun and a good distraction. My Christmas tree is staring at me and I'm tired of tripping over Christmas gifts so I think I'll have to do a bit of picking up. Leaving the house would be a great option, but it's very cold outside. In fact, my fridge is warmer than than the drafts in my house. True story!
Old 01-04-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Arctic ,
doesn't sound a very healthy environment later in the day . Would it be worth putting out a thread in the newcomers area explaining the situation and asking for support or ideas ?

I think it might be worth phoning round some sober mates and leaving them to it for the evening … go to a movie , AA meeting , down a late session at the gym , late night shopping mall hit for ice cream ? a long soak in the bath … i dunno whats available to you ?

Stay strong we're all here rootin for ya

Bestwishes, m
Old 01-04-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Hi Arctic - I have had the same challenge when my husband has a few drinks (only on weekends). Sometimes it really doesn't bother me, but other days it is hard and just seems to invite the AV over (he won't notice if you've had a few if he is drinking, etc). I have found that having plenty of sparkling water or seltzer on hand helps with the cravings. So does ice cream and chocolate, as others have mentioned Also I stay glued to SR if I am really struggling. You can do this! Come here and let us help if it gets to be too hard.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Just checkin in here with ya'all - have 8 days today & going to "hang tight" through this week-end
Old 01-04-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alysheba View Post
Ringing in on Sat morning. Looking forward to good football this weekend, esp the college bowl games. So far, they've been pretty good!

I'm struggling, like a lot of people. I keep thinking, it's ok, everyone drinks. You can stop after 1, just relax. I know it's a lie. I have to stay in reality about this. The AV can come up with some mind-bending arguments and I am exhausted trying to fight it.

Keep up the good fight. It's always so good to see everyone here trying and doing the next right thing!
It is exhausting, Alysheba--even now, my emotions about sobriety are extreme--despondent, rageful, ecstatic, etc. That's hard/tiring, as previously, I always seemed to take the easier route to cope with boredom/stress--that road was called "Buy a 12 pack and drink most of it throughout the evening."

I know that my AV has been very persistent at trying to make me believe that I could drink normally. My "superpower" response is "thinking through the drink." I knew that, honestly, one would lead to two . . . and two would lead to seven, which would lead to total regret, shame, a pounding head, and the knowledge that I had to start over. This took all of the fun out of considering having that first beer.

You can do it, A. If AV wants to brawl, we've got your back.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

I'm here a little late. I'm in. Hope everyone had a good Saturday.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

I'm just kind of hanging out. Waiting for my car full of men to come home. I've got white turkey chili in one pot and trukey rice soup in the other pot. (No, it's not 3 week old leftovers with miold--this was frozen a few months ago and I'm just heating it up now). I figured it'd go good in this cold weather.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArcticSA View Post
I really need a hobby.
In my first recovery, I watched all the seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer in the first few months, then followed it up with all 5 seasons of it's off-shoot, Angel.

I also took up knitting blanket squares for charity so I didn't feel so guilty while I watched tv :-)
Old 01-04-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

My daughter was a Buffy nut, too. She was especially a David Boreanaz fan.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

A month ago today I was in dire straits. I am very happy to have my life, family and freedom. I am ready for sobriety and making a good life. I found so many things to around the house that I would have ignored or put aside, just because I was drinking.

Sober weekends rule!
Old 01-04-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

It's Sunday morning here. Going to a meeting then to see my parents. Bye!
Old 01-04-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Went to the toy store today. A middle aged man roaming the isles of a toy store. Luckily I am not as creepy as that sounds. I found an awesome 1000 piece puzzle of Times Square. I need a little mindless puzzling. I past the Lego blocks... I used to build the best stuff. I past the army men... I lead a thousand wars in my back yard.

It's a reminder to see things through eyes long gone but yet not far away.

So relaxing with the cats and tv.... Still have my tree up just for the lighting effect... Lol... Got use to it.

See all you weekender friends in the morning... I will lurk a bit but gonna relax!

Staying sober is a choice. It may not seem like it but It is. I choose sobriety tonight.

K
Old 01-04-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
I found an awesome 1000 piece puzzle of Times Square. I need a little mindless puzzling.
Love a good jigsaw!
Happy puzzling!
Old 01-04-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey y'all ,
Back from my outing to mex-m8's house .. nice to see you all getting along ,

Arctic sorry to jabber on but i recon it might be a good idea to buy a second telly as part of your recovery plan , maybe one with a dvd player ? I've bought that kinda thing on ebay second hand before and snapped up a real bargain ..

WoW time square Ken … i remember looking through the webcams there when you had the hurricane pass through ..

Nighty night everyone i'm off to watch family guy & american dad , always nice to go to bed laughing

bestwishes, m