Notices

Three weeks tomorrow..

Old 10-26-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Three weeks tomorrow..

..and I am feeling better than I have in at least a year!

I have turned 25. I am back at university and enjoying being there without feeling nauseous, tired, and wanting to leave as soon as possible, to drink more or go to bed. My mind is much clearer. I feel positive (most of the time) and focused. My skin is almost glowing! I have started jogging and exercise classes, trying to respect my body a little more. No more nosebleeds.

I have also been channeling my energy into something productive: instead of thinking about alcohol all of the time, how to avoid it or what to do instead of drinking I think "tomorrow I want to get up at X time with a clear mind to do this job". I am trying to see alcohol as not something to be MISSED or something to DENY myself but something that is counterproductive to the positive things I can be doing with myself instead. Something to be happy to be without. I think before I really wanted the distraction of alcohol, to keep my mind numbed.

I just wanted to come here and say thank you to everyone who has helped me here before and also to provide a little bit of strength for tomorrow: I haven't been "out" for the 3 weeks and I am meeting friends in a place that sells alcohol tomorrow afternoon. Although it is unlikely they will be drinking, I am worried there might be "pangs" of want, which I haven't felt this time round. I normally would have caved in on day 2-3-5-7-14. I think this is the longest in the 6 or so years I've known I've had a problem I haven't craved alcohol.

Progress
Old 10-26-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Realising my life

A fantastic and inspirational post, bonesofhope. Sounds like you're getting it all together and embracing a new life. 'Pangs' are ok - it's acting on them that does the damage. If there is alcohol and if you feel tempted, focus on how great you'll feel the next day and what a boost it will be knowing you can handle it. And it certainly seems like you can!
Old 10-26-2013, 11:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

hey bones ,

hope things went ok , just get back on the sober bike if you tumbled , i fell of my bike several times when learning !

Bestwishes, m
Old 10-27-2013, 12:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations bonesofhope

D
Old 10-27-2013, 12:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done on three weeks mate that's a great effort. Don't worry about going out but do you have a plan? What are you going to say if anyone offers you a drink? What if you feel tempted? I think you should go prepared.you could just say you don't drink and don't make a big deal out of it.in my experience WE make more of an issue out of not drinking than the people we are with. Most people don't care whether we drink or not they really don't. So go out have a great time and be the cool and interesting one who doesn't drink!
Old 10-27-2013, 12:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Bonesofhope, 3 weeks? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. Rootin for ya.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 3 weeks sober.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on three weeks sober!