Notices

Sobriety dreams

Old 10-28-2013, 10:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety dreams

I had a horrible dream last night that now that I had 60+ days under my belt I went to the doctor for my liver pain (which in real life finally prompted me to quit). In my dream I was unexpectedly diagnosed with alcoholic cirrhosis. It was horrifying, dark nightmare full of sobbing, grief, suffering, sickness, death, and fear. I had to tell my parents and husband. Even the doctors in the dream were weeping. Beyond grim.

When I was having this pain in real life, I went and had all of my liver measures tested and they were normal. The doc didn't see any signs of enlargement. The pain went away after 2-3 weeks of not drinking.

I feel totally traumatized by this dream. I can't get it out of my head. I woke up with a lot of relief that I was sober and ok, but I have also been reliving this dream over and over today and have been so spooked by it.

Is this normal? Have any you had dreams like this? What did you make of them? When I was actively drinking I would have dreams where it became apparent to me in a myriad of shameful ways that I was an alcoholic. That was the "bad news" in those dreams. The one last night was in a class of its own.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think they're common.

I dreamt some incredibly upsetting vivid things happening to people I loved.

They were very real.
I can remember waking up at 2 or 3 in the morning drenched with sweat and unable to go back to sleep.

It was incredibly difficult for me not to immediately ring the people I'd seen in my dreams to make sure they were ok,.

I think, if anything, these dreams are maybe our subconscious playing out our fears - and our guilt and other associated emotions - after years of drinking.

They upset me less the more I had them, and they faded with time Renarde.

D
Old 10-28-2013, 10:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Renarde, I just posted I dreamt I drank, but had nothing similar to your dream. It's strange what our mind plays while we are asleep. I'm sure someone on SR may be able to help you with your dream.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee. how do you always know the right thing to say?

Mags, I'm sorry you had a dream like this too. It's really unsettling!
Old 10-29-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My dreams generally are somewhat the same.
The crap is hitting the fan in some way and I'm too drunk to help or save myself or anybody else I love.