Notices

Anhedonia in early recovery?

Old 10-05-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anhedonia in early recovery?

Alittle over a month sober and since I quit anhedonia has been quite intense. I feel little joy or pleasure in anything. Think this is a known problem in recovery from alcohol abuse but would like to know if others have had this and for how long it lasted before resolving. I've tried most things that I enjoyed in the past and it's as if the enjoyment is a mere shadow of what it used to be.

How about you?
Old 10-05-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Workaholic, I have this issue as well. My anhedonia is compounded by my T2 Diabetes. If I don't follow a strict diet and exercise on a daily basis, I will be listless, mentally fatigued, unmotivated and find little joy or interest in the things I used to enjoy immensely.

I'm sober 9 weeks now, so it's dissipated somewhat, but I know from experience that I must exercise and eat properly each day, or I simply feel like a slug slowly crawling along the ground. Even non-diabetics should benefit greatly from exercise and proper diet.

There are reports that various supplements are helpful. I'll let you do a Google search on that, as I've not tried this approach. Personally, my approach to resolving the issue is comprehensive: A good diet, exercise, a good night's sleep and finally, giving my brain time to to heal.

Hope this helps; I know how crappy it can be to feel this way all day. It really can be horrible.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's normal and gets better. Here's an article about paws (post acute withdrawal syndrome) that in my opinion explains almost perfectly what is going on:

PAWS | Digital Dharma
Old 10-05-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was that was for maybe 3 months?

I thought it was the price I had to pay for sobriety - in fact I think I just underestimated the years of damage I'd done to myself.

It takes a little time, but generally things come right again.

PAWs was a different set of problems for me, but that link has some great suggestions for alleviating a lot of common early recovery symptoms

D
D
Old 10-05-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think I may be there.

I am lethargic and not too excited about much. or, I have a good idea, but cannot get myself motivated to carry it out. Like a low grade depression state.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I didn't realise it had a name. It was a massive problem for me, my doctor suggested though that it was not surprising after getting over a huge hurdle like that. I wouldn't say I was depressed, just incredibly lethargic and little motivation. My doctor gently suggested I do some exercise, which considering my lack of motivation seemed unlikely. But then I ended up with a dog who was going to be sent to the pound if I didn't have her... totally turned my life around. I was forced to exercise or else I'd have stuff to clean up at home and it made me enjoy exercise as well. Walking my dog after work has probably prevented murder, helped my fitness levels increase, helped me lose weight and improved my social life no end (a sober social life too ). It also helps that she makes me laugh hysterically on a daily basis. But really I think it is the exercise which has made the difference. I don't think it is a simple matter of accepting things which we have to go through in sobriety, there is a lot we can do with diet and exercise which will help. It just took something other to get me of my arse to do anything about it
Old 10-05-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2013, 10:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's been an intermittent issue for me my whole life, even while I was drinking. Overall I combat it with mindfulness. I remind myself it's not necessary to be having fun/enjoyment every minute, or to even be doing anything at all. Sometimes it's enough to just be, to exist.

In my intro post last year I described the 'Myth of Sisyphus', and how embracing one's life, both good and bad, was my way of dealing with it. I still feel the same.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
Workaholic, I have this issue as well. My anhedonia is compounded by my T2 Diabetes. If I don't follow a strict diet and exercise on a daily basis, I will be listless, mentally fatigued, unmotivated and find little joy or interest in the things I used to enjoy immensely.

I'm sober 9 weeks now, so it's dissipated somewhat, but I know from experience that I must exercise and eat properly each day, or I simply feel like a slug slowly crawling along the ground. Even non-diabetics should benefit greatly from exercise and proper diet.

There are reports that various supplements are helpful. I'll let you do a Google search on that, as I've not tried this approach. Personally, my approach to resolving the issue is comprehensive: A good diet, exercise, a good night's sleep and finally, giving my brain time to to heal.

Hope this helps; I know how crappy it can be to feel this way all day. It really can be horrible.
Welcome to my world. I have pretty much been like this my whole adult life. Such a waste when I have so much good in my life. I agree to the fullest here with the above....exercise and diet is EXTREMELY important. I know this is probably the last thing you want to do but if you force yourself to do it you will feel better. Good luck to you.