Notices

Artists in Recovery

Old 10-04-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Artists in Recovery

Hey everybody,

Is there a forum for artists OR is anyone interested in a thread for artists? I am finding it hard to work during recovery, and I'd love to bounce ideas, frustrations, etc off of other artists, as well as try to help other artists in recovery through this stuff, if there are others like me out there?
It's good to know others ike you, when you feel like you're cracking up

Plenny
Old 10-04-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Plenny,

I am an amatuer artist. I love to paint. It took me a long time to get back into it after I got sober, but now I paint whenever I get the chance.

Feel free to PM me anytime!
Old 10-04-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we have several artists as members and I'm sure they will be along to share with you.

Welcome!
Old 10-04-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Olive and Anna! Sometimes I have problems that I know only other artists will get. I'm amateur as well I suppose, since I don't get paid very much or very often. But I try to share my stuff and keep going because it gives me purpose. I take it very seriously though. I may just keep posting here as well... Make it a thing...
Old 10-04-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I think an artists' thread would be just the thing. I'm sure some will come along to post about their experiences in recovery.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'd love to hear other people's stories, I don't have any artists in recovery in my life...
Old 10-04-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, I can relate to this. I'm usually pretty good at portrait painting, but lately everything looks like Lowry's 'stick men'
Old 10-04-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SkyeSea View Post
Yes, I can relate to this. I'm usually pretty good at portrait painting, but lately everything looks like Lowry's 'stick men'
Haha! I'm sorry but it made me chuckle. I get it. I sit outside my studio ruminating about going in, getting upset that I'm not, instead of just giving myself a break or just going in the dang studio! Silly things like these...
It's really interesting how we change. It's hopeful to hear that we might bounce back though...
Old 10-04-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just copied this from my September Class just now, where I've also been talking about what an introvert I am finding out I am.

Haha y'all I was just scared into the studio. My Husband had a band member coming over to practice, and I desperately wanted to be alone so I ran away into my room. Now I'm working. Hahaha it's too funny.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

PS I hate Lowry
Old 10-04-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

He is odd... I feel like he had a thing for Bruegel though. I do like Bruegel. Seems like Lowry wanted to evoke him
Old 10-04-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Artist here.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I just have gotten back to work in the last few days--it is day 29 for me now. Strangely, my work is one of the few things in my life that does not appear to have a direct correlation to my drinking. I work if I am in a drinking or sober period. I never work while intoxicated, regardless. Being able to completely set work aside for a few weeks has been a major accomplishment.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi! I'm hoping we can check in whenever art is the topic for us...
Today I had trouble getting started but then was scared into working by my own antisocial behavior!
Old 10-04-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Plenny
Old 10-04-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by roomsforall View Post
I just have gotten back to work in the last few days--it is day 29 for me now. Strangely, my work is one of the few things in my life that does not appear to have a direct correlation to my drinking. I work if I am in a drinking or sober period. I never work while intoxicated, regardless. Being able to completely set work aside for a few weeks has been a major accomplishment.
I used to drink and work a lot... then I saw how much my work suffered. I'm trying to treat it as a job yet still enjoy it. Sober.
So you set it aside for a while? What was the reason? Just curious. I'm also interested in why it was an accomplishment (no criticism, I ask a lot of questions sometimes. I'm big on "why?" Sometimes people feel confronted....But I'm just mighty curious).
Old 10-04-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
LDT

Are you talking just visual arts, or all arts? I'm a classical musician, and that is sometimes a difficult world in which to remain sober.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LDT View Post
Are you talking just visual arts, or all arts? I'm a classical musician, and that is sometimes a difficult world in which to remain sober.
I can imagine! I feel like many artists from all sorts of disciplines share similar brain patterns, and have to network in very similar circles, therefore share many of the same stresses. I think artists of all kinds can help each other and empathize with each other. And, the more the better! Welcome

Do you find the difficulty in attending and participating in events, or in creation or practice?
Old 10-04-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can join then - musician/songwriter here

D
Old 10-04-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

No worries. I did just set everything aside this month, basically. The last time I sobered up, I think I had too much else on my mind and didn't lay a strong foundation for continued sobriety.
My priorities shifted for the time.

I say it was an accomplishment because I can be pretty obsessive. This has its benefits, but it also means that I put a great deal of stress on myself. So really understanding that my health and well-being had to be the only priority felt pretty good. A healthy impulse.