Notices

New To Posting

Old 10-02-2013, 10:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New To Posting

Hey there. I've been a regular lurker for around 4 months now. I've been sober for 5-10 day stretches for those 4 months but can't seem to keep it. I want to be completely sober, not just nickle and dime it.

I've been to meetings and I've been treated as though I don't have a real problem because I'm "only 27". I'm reaching out for the support that I've seen you kind people give time and time again to posters.

Thanks for reading!

P.S. I'm at the 5 day point, worried about when I'm going to fail again.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

I really thing the more you put into your recovery the more likely you are to succeed

what have you been doing for your recovery up to now?

D
Old 10-02-2013, 10:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been adjusting my lifestyle, my eating and physical activity habits mainly. I've signed up to run a marathon next August and I'm working towards that, but it doesn't seem to be enough.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you thought about joining a recovery group again, if not AA - something similar?

D
Old 10-02-2013, 10:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Struggleon and welcome to SR
The good news is, at day 5, the last of any withdrawals are coming to an end and you never have to go through them again, if you don't want to.
The meeting thing - well, if they are treating you like that, then I would suggest finding a different meeting, but I wonder how much of it, is perhaps you feeling like you don't fit in because you're only 27? Sometimes we can feel like we don't fit in somewhere and then transfer that onto others Not a criticism - I've done it endless times myself

Anyhow, nice to 'meet' you
Old 10-02-2013, 10:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dee I've tried 4 different AA meetings, all with the same unjust bias towards my age which I feel isn't fair. Maybe 4 isn't enough attempts but I was tired of putting myself through that feeling.

Sky, I thought that the first two meetings I went to, but after that I was at two more meetings that made mocking reference to "young people" "under 30" who think they have the same problem the rest of the members do. Just didn't feel like I wanted to be a part of that environment.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In that case, I don't blame you - how ignorant of them
Are there other meetings you can attend?
Old 10-02-2013, 10:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I changed my post - I missed the meetings bit initially

There are other groups - things like SMART or LifeRing - and I daresay other more youth oriented meetings in AA too

D
Old 10-02-2013, 10:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not within a 20 minute drive that I know of and, to be honest, I don't even feel I want to go back after my experience at other meetings. I do want to remain sober, though.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, SR is a brilliant site - lots of us use it exclusively as support and it seems to do the trick With it being 24/7, just knowing it's there is a fantastic help.
I think there is AA online too if that would help?
x
Old 10-02-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Sky, and thanks Dee. I look forward to actively using this as a sobering tool
Old 10-02-2013, 10:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Hey StruggleON, Welcome to SR! I am a newcomer myself. In my limited AA meeting experience, I have found that meetings are like snowflakes; each one has a unique quality. I thrive in meetings where fellowship is strong and people are welcoming. Any meeting where a person downplays my alcoholism is a meeting to which I will not return.

I go to a meeting every day, and try to go at times when I am most inclined to pick up a drink. Even if I don't relate to others' STORIES in meetings, I try to relate to their FEELINGS about alcohol and apply it to my situation. It is also helpful to stay away from people and places where alcohol is being consumed. Every time I have picked up again it has been because drugs/alcohol were in my face. SR is amazing in terms of support. You are definitely on the right track!

"LIVING SOBER" IS THE BEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ!! You should Google it.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Have you found the October thread? It's all people quitting this month and you'll find loads of people all at the same stage
Old 10-02-2013, 10:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, StruggleON.

Welcome to SR!

Posting here helped me immensely, and support it just great.

I agree that it won't hurt to have some "real time" support, but for the time being, just post here as much as you can, and have a plan for your sobriety - what to do when urges hit, when you are bored, or whatever you triggers are.

And don't worry when you are going to fail again. Don't set yourself for fail. You are not going to fail. Take one day at a time and don't worry - never helps.

Best wishes to you)
Old 10-03-2013, 05:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you joined the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
All I have is Now

I landed in an AA group around 27 and was treated as if I was too young to have a problem. Like age has anything to do with it? Pal of mine drank himself to death at 23. I'm now 35 and am sober just a few days. I'm starting to realse that a good ninety percent of what I hear from people is useful and their experience. Not necesarily mine. I need to find what works for me instaed of being a sheep. I've done that for nearly ten years and have just got worse. Today I feel pretty good after only a few days of sobriety becasue God provided many ways to sobriety not just one,
Old 10-03-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Be around people in the meeting who take you seriously. Addiction is serious. Anyone who says "oh you're only 27" is being codependent. They need to mind their own business and work their own program.
Keep going to meetings. They are a life saver.
Yours in recovery.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR glad you decided to start posting. This site has helped me more than I can say. Hope you stick around.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Another thing, the disease of alcoholism doesn't discriminate. Young old rich poor etc, it'll get ya.
Those members who are discriminating you for your age need to be very mindful that to do that to a newcomer can enable them to keep drinking, thinking that they don't have a serious problem, not an alcoholic. Then they could wander off for a few more years, lose their families, houses, health, etc.
It's progressive. Arrest it early!
Remember the AA saying "I'm not that bad- YET"
Which means YOU'RE ELIGIBLE TOO. We are all eligible for full blown alcoholism.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
No half measures

Multiple 20 something in the meetings I attend they are treated no differentl than any one else. I would call your local office for a young person meeting. Look up YPAA young people in AA. If there are any Universities around you they likely have a very active young person program.