Notices

Trying to get sober

Old 07-09-2016, 09:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to get sober

I have become a very heavy wine drinker in the last three years. I can finish a big bottle of wine plus a small one. I had become aware that it was becoming problem when my husband commented on it. I tell people I may have a problem with wine and the laugh, even my doctor. I am tired of drinking. It is not who I want to be or who I am. I have not had anything to drink in 72 hours. I am measuring in hours until tomorrow, then I will move to days. This has been a struggle I have been able to stop for a few weeks, then I would try one glass or two and back to same old habit.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR cherp! You'll find a lot of support and understanding here, and congrats on being sober for 72 hours.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Reminds me a lot of myself. I hate who I am when I've been drinking. Alcohol turns me into a completely different and terrible person. Family members have told me my face even seems to change. When I'm sober I am a great mom, wife, person... very shy, reserved, kind, humble, generous... when I'm drinking I'm abusive, arrogant, promiscuous, snobby... just disgusting!

I have been drinking wine mostly lately too. A large bottle and then usually a six pack of some kind of beer. I always drink alone until I get really bored and go out to a bar or club alone. Husband doesn't drink. When I do go out I blow money. Very careless and irresponsible. Bad, bad decisions that make me feel like dirt the next day. Unworthy of love. It's just a depressing cycle that in sick of.

You're probably not as bad as me. I doubt many people are. Especially 30 y/o moms of 3 who are married. Regardless, I hope you know you're not alone and I hope you find the strength to end your drinking.

I too can sometimes go weeks sober, and it's great! Then those voices come back and convince me I can only drink a few glasses. Never ends well. :/
Old 07-09-2016, 09:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh, my last drinking night was Thursday. I partied at home alone and then got lonely and went out and partied with strangers. Came home Friday morning and have been feeling depressed in bed since. Husband has been caring for the kids. I'll go to the gym in the morning and try to start my "new" life. Good luck to us both. XO
Old 07-09-2016, 11:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Cherp! I'm glad you found us. You'll find understanding and support here, and most importantly, hope!
Old 07-10-2016, 05:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by cherp1324 View Post
I am tired of drinking. It is not who I want to be or who I am.
The words of a person about to change their world.

You're awesome! Thanks for joining SR. Stick around a while. You'll like it here.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Cherp! You will find the support you need here. Many of us have used SR to get and stay sober. You can do this.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome!!

To a far better life.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cherp1324 View Post
I am tired of drinking. It is not who I want to be or who I am.
This was it for me. I didn't want to be that person, that kind of mom. I was starting to hate myself... That's sick, we are supposed to love ourselves.

I have never felt more proud.

Do you have a plan yet? Read and post and use this amazing resource. There's always someone here for support.

You can do this.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Cherp, you're in good company! This is day 6 for me, got thru the weekend, and I hope, this time, it will last.

You're feeling are very similar to mine. I hate being who I am when drinking. I hate feeling like I need to drink to oblivion, but I also hate ( or is it fear) never being able to drink, socially, again. So many of my friends have a couple of drinks when they go out and that's it. Nothing at home. That's not me and it's not you.

We're different. We will struggle, and possibly fail. We'll have to keep at it until we succeed , but keep at it we must lest we lose everything. We don't want that.

You have made a great first move reaching out to SR. Keep this page open and as often as possible read and post. Write your life history if you wish, but do write. It's so cathartic to write and share. Letting someone else in on your feelings is an amazing gift - certainly it is to me.

Good luck!
Old 07-10-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Cherp,

Welcome. Read and post a lot. It helps.

Drinking too much or relapsing, is not mysterious, it is science.

There is, imo, an intentional lack of education. Long story....

People like us share experience, and life situations that started us drinking.

Now that you drink alot, e.g. to get drunk, the switch has flipped....

You, me, and everyone else here are addicts....alcoholics.

We crave the buzz. The release. We didn't mind dealing w the ramifications for some time. In my case, 45 years....long story... because initially we recover so easily. But, as our body is slowly poisoned, recovery takes longer and longer. It hurts more and more. It is insidious and progressive.....scary stuff...

As addicts, we now have to struggle w that crave, for the rest of our lives...like MIR said today....it is chronic.

It gets better every day. Just Stay Clean.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome. Count the days -count the moments, the activities, one by one. Lunch for the kids; talking after dinner with your husband, reading a book....the time will pass as you keep going, even when it feels like nails screeching on a chalkboard to get through.

Hope to see you around!