Notices

Felt better when I was drinking

Old 08-22-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Originally Posted by Ptcapote View Post
Oh yes, I know that feeling Alpha. I felt like I had the flu for a good two months after I got sober. Not all the time, mind you, there were days when I was feeling awesome and days when I felt like even bigger crapola but, yeah, generally didn't feel that great for awhile.

I agree with what Olive said, too. Although mine didn't last for six months, thank goodness, but that was pretty much how it went for me too. Now I steadily feel decent. And I am happy with that

(Plus remember hangovers come with that wonderful, all-consuming anxiety, the shakes, the heart palpitations, and the mental "what the eff did I do now?" torture. Would take feeling like I had the flu for a little bit before ever wanting those feelings back again).

You'll feel better soon...until then, eat more cake
LOL !!! I hear you sister. The last damn thing I want right now is a drink.
Need.....more......cake......
Old 08-22-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My point is just move through this. It sucks, it's hard but it will get better. General Patten once said, "I DO NOT believe in paying for the same piece of real estate twice".

You're feeling like **** right now. Don't give up now because you'll only have to quit at some point and go through this recovery again.....and again....etc.[/QUOTE]

I love this quote. Thank you for the support.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Alpha... hang in there. That's all I've got No great mind-blowing wisdom really. But, a sucky day sober beats any day drinking.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

If you think you feel bad after seventeen days, imagine how you'll feel after a month!

This is what I wrote in my journal.

September 20th 2012-

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

It has now been 30 days without any alcohol or drugs….and its starting to feel like it.

All the enthusiasm has worn off . What is now left are mood swings, irritableness, flashes of depression, and an overwhelming sense that things are not getting better even though they obviously are. The next 30 days may be even harder than the last. Yet, I am still here, bound and determine to divorce myself from my past. Thus my beard keeps growing.

My mantra remains the same

“stay straight ahead”

“As he thinks, so he is; as he continues to think, so he remains.”
― James Allen, As a Man Thinketh

Be Encouraged!
Old 08-22-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
Zoe and Wisco - Those are genuinely great points. I am assuming they are withdrawals, but it might be the flu. That's what it feels like. Thank you for reaching out with help.
Good for you...pragmatic
is my word for the week.

Sometimes sobriety/clean time can be wrapped up in irrational thinking. Weed out what simply doesn't make sense

If your aches and pains and general malaise last for a couple more days I would be off to the Dr. or GNP.

This too shall pass...no matter mental or physical.

You are doing well .

Alcohol and drugs which I thought were the cures turned out to be poisons.

t takes awhile for the mind to settle down...at times more than the body.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks Wisco and everyone for the support and encouragement.

I can't adequately describe in words how comforted I feel with everyone reaching out with help. Asking for help in total desperation is one of the most difficult things for this addict to do. I'm so very used to being the one with all the answers and advice. And now, I'm the one that needs TLC.

This is a strange place for me to be for sure. Vulnerable. So vulnerable.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey, alpha. Hang in there, man. It DOES get better. For me, it was 30 days before I started really noticing a change. You can do this!
Old 08-22-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

It's really quite common. I'm 15 months sober and I felt like hell for the first month straight. After that though it started to slowly improve.

I went to an addictions counsellor for the first 2 months. That helped me greatly. I didn't fit with AA or NA though.

I learned that your addicted part of your mind is always trying to trick the sober part of your mind into drinking/using. Once I realized this it made it so much easier to resist cravings.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Sorry to the original poster that Nuu offended. But thank you Nuu. For some of us tough love is the real deal.

Good luck Alpha. Stay strong.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
jkb

Hi Alpha-
I must admit I felt really bad around back in Feb when I got sober. I was dizzy, out of it, feverish just felt BAD. Decided screw it this is the same as a hangover. So I got drunk. The next day was HELL. REALLY BAD.

I have been sober ever since. However, I was getting off benzos at the same time so I am not sure what was what but, it took another 3 months or so to wake up and feel ok. Either way it has now been 5 months since that relapse and I still dont feel great every day but, I know I dont want another hangover.

GL- Jess
Old 08-22-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thanks Less. Not at all offended by Nuu. I seriously ADORE Nuu and her heart is always in the right place, even if the words come out wonky sometimes.

But the tough love approach ain't working for me today. So I choose not to attach to it.

JKB - I've tried the throw in the towel too only to find out that it gets progressively worse and worse with every attempt.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Your doing great. This does get better, I promise. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Keep going Alpha. Day 5 no cigs for me and $%%%^Y^&*(((*&^^$##@@!!~!!! Sometimes you just feel like it's not worth it or maybe you are taking a step back. It's just our addiction talking.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Have you read up on PAWS? Why We Don’t Get Better Immediately: Post-acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) | What...Me Sober?

This helped me tremendously in understanding what I was going through after I quit drinking. I followed the advice on eating healthy and making sure never to get too hungry (i.e. having lots of snacks with a glass or two of water) and getting exercise and both things helped me a lot.

I'm at 4+ months now and I still have bad times and the same simple stuff still helps. But at 17 days, everything was still very wacky for me. It takes some time.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hi alpha, I had the same feeling. When will I feel better? Your body needs time to recover. With sobertime, I believe you will get over those bad feelings. It will be worth it. Good job on quitting.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes the early days are rough, and many do fall by the wayside because they fall for the AV lie that this horrible existence is sobriety...

It's not - it's simply you getting well from, and getting over, years of self abuse.

If what you're going through now was recovery as good as it got, there'd be noone else here on SR....

You gave years to drinking - give at least 3 months to recovery - I guarantee you'll feel better by then

and the suggestion to see your Dr is a good one - who knows? this may be something else entirely?
D
Old 08-22-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
Nuu - ........Da feck dude ? You wake up on the wrong side of the couch ?
Quite possibly Alpha : ) After I signed out I couldn't help but wonder if I am perhaps spending too much time on this particular piece of my recovery. I mean..I'm on SR...ALOT..lol. Like addiction, am I perhaps using SR as a distraction for the business of life? (shrugs)...have to think on that.

Obviously I could have worded things a wee bit differently. I only feared for what I thought I was hearing.... some sort of ascent on the springboard to relapse, which I obviously don't want you to do because...you're just too damn smart to buy the malarkey our addiction tries to sell us. I myself almost fell for it just last night.

Bright blessings to ya Alpha..always.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Everyone is different. Give it at least 3 months and see how you feel then.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

A-O,
I've read quite a few of your posts and you come across as having an enormous amount of clarity and insight. I am sorry you feel "yukky" right now......

Personally I was used to the chaos and fogginess of being hungover or in the bag. Now I am a space cadet. I was a figure skater until 2 years ago, so yesterday I decided to get to a rink. After getting lost, I got there with only 20 minutes to spare. I had thrown the skates in my bag without looking and when I went to lace them up.....I had 2 left skates!

I shook my head and got back in the car, and ended up going the wrong direction on the highway.

I have read up on PAWS, I am pretty sure it takes our brain a bit to rewire. Be gentle with yourself!
Old 08-22-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hi alpha -

Looking back physically I started feeling better after a month, and by 3 months felt 'normal.'

Keep it up. Once you get through this, you never have to go through it again!