Notices

kicked the heroine, now to kick the crutch of alcohol

Old 08-05-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

kicked the heroine, now to kick the crutch of alcohol

Hi, I'm new here and looking for a little advice. About two weeks ago I stopped using heroin after hitting bottom extremely hard. As ****** as withdrawals were I came to a point where I can no longer use. I have beyond crossed my moral line.

Let me get to my real question. I used alcohol heavily during 3 of the days of my withdrawals just to try to find some physical and mental relief of withdrawals. But now that I'm through withdrawals (not paws) I find myself drinking way too often. I do nit want to drink at all, it causes problems (fights, legal trouble etc.). I'm just dealing with paws and do not quite feel right completely sober. This happened last time I quit using heroine but this time I'm sure I will not go back to heroine. I'm just having a hard time kicking the crutch of alcohol because I sometimes rationalize it by saying I can't quit it all at once. But I'm to the point I know I need to stop drinking. I want to live life completely sober and fund happiness sober.

So please. What are some ways to deal with paws and kick my crutch?
Please help
Old 08-05-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Bump advice would be real nice
Old 08-05-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do you think you could go to an AA meeting? It is helping me tremendously.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Rabbit,

Interesting reading your post... I did the exact opposite. I got sober over 3 years ago from alcohol and eventually turned to opiates. It is not easy. You don't want to substitute one for another, obviously you are aware of this. Do you attend meetings or out-patient rehab or anything similar? What are you currently doing to help your recovery? It will get easier but the first few days / weeks just suck and all we can do is hold on sometimes. Coming here was a good idea though, SR is awesome...
Old 08-05-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ways I deal with PAWS (Not medical advice to be taken as such, just my tools and advice from experience; seeing a doctor is ALWAYS great!)

1.) Get some exercise - even if all you can do is a short walk, do a short walk or whatever you can to get moving. This stimulates the production of endorphins in your brain and helps with sore muscles, anxiety, depression, etc...

2.) Drink more water - water flushes out toxins and is the building block for our entire body system. When we get dehydrated we slow the renewal of cells and healing of the body. Drink A LOT of water and avoid caffeine, too much salt and too much sugar as that will lead to dehydration and isn't helpful.

3.) Eat good healthy meals - this is obvious. You are what you eat so don't eat junk and you will feel much better!

4.) Take Vitamins and supplements - multi V's, maybe look into Valerian for sleep and anxiety, St. John's Wart for the low moods, take lots of Fish oil and look into other supplements you can use to help with detox. Google 'Thomas Detox Method' for more info.

5.) Get help and support from family, friends and the recovery community - even if its not a 12 step just try to find something you can do to get involved. Being alone will set you up for failure. You need people to talk with and lean on, especially in the beginning.

6.) See a doctor and / or therapist - I did this to treat ongoing depression and I got the help I needed because I didn't want to relapse! Period! Don't be afraid to go see a professional.

Good luck my friend! Rooting for ya.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wellni haven't gone to a meeting yet. In the upcoming weeks I will be put into a court ordered inpatient program. I have been reading my ma book and talking to my wife who is also a recovering heroine addict. We have been clean the same amount of time and for us splitting up is not an option for us. But we have told each other that if we cannot stay clean together, we cannot be together. She is the love of my life and I do not want to **** this up. So awaiting being put into treatment I feel like I'm n a state of limbo.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh by the way I have been trying to eat healthy taking a multivitamin and drinking lots of water. I've probably put on ten pounds
Old 08-05-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Edit btw thank you baby Jane for the advice thus far.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's hard but it's sure worth it and so are you. Just take it one day at a time and do your best.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks. I have found that I have to take it one day at a time. And I hate counting the days I've been clean cause after a few weeks ill feel like I deserve a little reward and that little reward turns into a full on relapse
Old 08-05-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rabbit welcome and congrats on kicking the H

there are some great tips for dealing with PAWs down the bottom of this link, but Jane dealt with most of them.

PAWS | Digital Dharma

I think it's very very easy to get hooked on something new when we're coming off something else...the sooner you nip this new problem in the bud the better.

withdrawal from anything is not fun but if you feel that badly healthwise being completely sober it's probably best to see a Dr cos it really shouldn't be like that?

D
Old 08-05-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well I do need to see a Dr cause I guess I neglected I have bi polar and a generally high level of anxiety, especially when it comes to trusting people even ones I know I should trust. But during withdrawals. I lost my job and have no insurance. I'm hoping at this inpatient program they will let me see a doctor at least to get back on my bipolar meds. Thanks d
Old 08-05-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Also I failed to mention that since becoming clean, u have random spells where my heart will start racing and I can not catch my breath. Like I'll be breathing as well as I can but feel.like I'm not getting hardly any oxygen. This sometimes goes on for hours and happens when I'm just sitting around. Its not from over exerting myself in any way. It really scares me. Any ideas what may be causing this?
Old 08-05-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

It might be anxiety but it's really important to see a Dr just to be safe I think.

There are a lot of free or low cost clinics around - if there's one in your local area you might get some medical advice there?

Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics
The 10377 clinics in this database are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.
2-1-1 Call Center Search

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.
D
Old 08-05-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Will definitely look into that. Thanks d
Old 08-05-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Abstinence from both is required for recovery

As far as the biochemistry of your brain that is related to addiction is concerned, there is no difference among drugs. They affect the brain's neural pathways in somewhat different ways, but the end result is the same: craving when the drug is withdrawn.

The only way for the brain to repair itself is to withdraw all drugs, including alcohol and weed, and allow it to recover. This can take up to a couple of years, especially in the case of opioid drugs, and is the period after acute withdrawal that we call PAWS. Further drug use will reactivate the addiction pathways, and will likely lead to a renewal of the addiction.

Especially during early recovery, replacement addictions are common. These may include gambling, sex, thrill-seeking, and a variety of other substitutes. The key is compulsion. If you feel as though you have to do those things in order to feel okay, the likelihood is that you are developing or feeding another addiction. These things will crop up. They do for all of us. They involved the pleasure centers of the brain, same as addiction, which are starved for stimulation in early recovery. The trick is to recognize them, admit them, and use your program in NA or AA to help get past it.

Recovery isn't for sissies. Good luck, and keep on keepin' on!

Bill
Old 08-05-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Anxiety attacks. Take a walk, exercise, call someone and talk. Perfectly normal in early recovery. If you see a doctor, make sure you stay away from any benzodiazepine drugs (Ativan, Xanax), which are frequently prescribed for anxiety and are some of the most addictive and cross-addictive drugs there are.

Non-addictive anxiety meds are available. See a doctor who understands addiction, though. Chances are your personal physician doesn't.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks crackerbox! I will say my paws symptoms vary from day to day and most are very manageable. But the complete lack of MOTIVATION and ENERGY is insane. It takes some motivation to do even the smallest things. Standing in front of the microwave waiting for my food to cook is tiresome. I know jt sounds ridiculous. When I was using I was a general laborer sophysucally I am strong... But right now I am very week. And anxious a lot of the times. my main way of managing it though, is telling myself that things can only get better from here. Not worse
Old 08-05-2013, 11:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oh and btw its now about 130 am and I didn't drink all day or night! Or use for that matter
Old 08-06-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Buuummmpppp feelin strong today about not using heroin or alcohol. Got some much needed sleep and feelin positive. Had some pretty strong paws last night as far as the anxiety but it passed and got some sleep