Notices

What's the average length of time before a relapse?

Old 08-03-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DS777 View Post
Thanks SoberJennie. Another question now!!!! Sorry. What does IOP mean?
Intensive Outpatient Program (I think)

I did a 20 day intensive outpatient group where we met every week day for 3 hours in the morning. Very helpful!! Loved it. Was sad when it was over. But they offer a free two year continuing care follow-up group for us, so I attend that weekly. It's only for an hour. It's not as good as the daily IOP though, and I'm a bit let down every time I attend on Mondays... it seems there a few in there who enjoy taking up most of the time with their shares!! Ugh. I can do without the drama queens and attention hogs.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
As far as a time when you can feel secure...

I went into recovery knowing I had to succeed, it was this - or death. So I worked hard and kept working.

Not staying sober was not an option.
I think that's the mindset you need to have.

I'm still working on my recovery - not in a 'oh god this is something I have to do' way but because I like me and I like my life, I worked hard for it, and staying sober helps me keep all that.

thats the best security of all I think
D
I agree wholeheartedly with Dee here, and it's how I'm approaching my sobriety as well.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

IOP is Intensive Outpatient Program

Why We Don’t Get Better Immediately: Post-acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) | What...Me Sober?

I think that's right.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

There are several on here that, have not. I've not had a drink in almost 14 years. Such a difficult question to ask unless, they do some type of survey at rehabs on returning alcoholics.

I heard something today at a speaker picnic that, I can relate to i keep coming back because I want more sobriety and serenity. I no longer wish to have the insanity that goes hand and hand with my drinking. Life's hard enough dsealing with the normal people that, bring drama into our live's and in my case the alocholics in my own family. My son's a returning vet from Afghanistan and he's tried to drink the demons away from the war. He's taken any thought of my wanting a drink watching his life go down the drain.

Someone returning from a slip reaffirms our belief's it always gets worse and never I repeat never gets better
Old 08-03-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

WOW- Thanks so much for explaining about PAWS and Digital Dharma. I VE found it and will read ! thanks everyone xx
Old 08-03-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

For me after 2 years of constant drinking AA finally to me and shook me hard explaining the reality of continued drinking. I'm so grateful for those old timers ant thankfullyy I'm one now. BE WELL
Old 08-03-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Oh, sorry Dee and Soberjennie I'm way behind. No action in subs abuse so I came over here.

Take care Terry.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

it never goes away never
Old 08-03-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I have only quit drinking twice in my life. 15 years ago I quit but relapsed after 2 years of being sober. For the last 13 years I did not even think about or try moderating, cutting down or quitting until July 21 when I had sort of an epiphany. I have been alcohol free for 9 days now, and pray that I never do relapse because it would be devastating to me to start all over again and go through the withdrawal symptoms, not to mention the shame I would feel by letting myself and my family down.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by dbillyd View Post
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone had any figures on the average length of time people abstain before they relapse?

Is there a certain period where if you can stay sober for that long your chances of a never drinking again significantly increase?
Hopefully never? lol. There is no amount of time that goes by that you should get too comfortable and forget where you once were. However, I will say after a few years now, I am able to live and focus on other goals and aspirations and am not so centered on recovery. Alcohol isnt something I think about often or at all, but I still like to come here and help others, which helps me remember where I once was. I feel like never forgetting that keeps me walking the straight and narrow, as well as constantly being grateful for my own recovery and progress. I never want to start taking things for granted or getting cocky.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Dee that's exactly it you didn't give yourself the option to drink! That's where I am it's just simple no longer an option. I get to frustrated when I see those day 1 again posts. Not frustrated at the people but frustrated that they allow themselves that option. There have been many times I had wished quitting was an option but my ballot never had that that box to check. The only way I'm ever going to survive this fight is by never ever allowing alcohol to be an option.

The shear magnitude of accepting this can be overwhelming I know it's brought me to toddler meltdown status. But accepting the truth is whst has to be done to get your goals achieved.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Cool

"...I get to frustrated when I see those day 1 again posts. Not frustrated at the people but frustrated that they allow themselves that option. There have been many times I had wished quitting was an option but my ballot never had that that box to check. The only way I'm ever going to survive this fight is by never ever allowing alcohol to be an option..."

....'n here's the other side of the coin. I get frustrated when I hear/read folks write/say that drinking is no longer an option. Of course! it's still an option; it's just an option I no longer choose. That's one of the first things my sponsor explained to me when I was early in recovery; I did NOT have to relapse if I 'chose' NOT to............'n so far she's been right...........

(o:
NoelleR
Old 08-03-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL you love semantics Noelle

OK, it's not an viable option for me - any more than playing on the freeway, jumping out of planes without a parachute or drinking poison is

D

Last edited by Dee74; 08-03-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
No half measures

I don't believe I ever relapse because I never really quit drinking. There was always that thought in my head that someday I could drink like other people. When I finally accepted that I was hopeless alcoholic things begin to change. My goal is to die sober but I do what I need to do on a daily basis in order to not drink today
Old 08-03-2013, 09:47 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

You're assuming relapse is inevitable.
That's incorrect. Many people never relapse. I haven't and many on SR haven't.
Just want newcomers to know relapse isn't inevitable.
It is all up to you.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:37 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Lots of great posts here! Thank you all for expressing what I have a problem doing. This mental forgetfulness that I'm going through lately makes my thoughts kinda rambled. I do know that this too shall pass in time and prayer. I, too, am taking it one day at a time AND using the tools available to me to maintain this miracle in my life. :-D. Bobbi
Old 08-03-2013, 10:41 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
EndGame

Hmm...The average length of time before a relapse is the amount of time between your last drink and the next drink you take.

For me, that was twenty five years.