Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I'm a newcomer, on day 1, and have some questions..and I'm alone and in secret

Notices

Old 07-07-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey y'all...My doc is opiates...I started using them when I came off of coke..yeah, dumb move..obviously...but I'm still alive!!...hey!!..Anyhow, I have to quit now...I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to slip money from work and out of our savings..where I'm hurting in my legs real bad if I don't take them for a day...where I feel useless and not myself without them..and where I feel theyre taking their toll on my health internally..
Im taking at least 60 mg a day, but more like 90-100...hydros, perks, and oc/rxy when I can, and have been taking that amount for a year, while taking them for almost 3 years total, the first year of which i took 1-2 10s a day at work...
I've read many threads from this site andgotten great info...this is obviously not going to be easy...at all...but i don't have a choice...it's quit or lose everything...
I need a friend because no one can know...period...i know it would help, but it's just not an option....
What wd timeframe am i looking at here as far as the pain goes? Is it okay to eat 1 10 a day in the morn to mitigate it for the first week?
Old 07-07-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My bad...just need experience info..not advice

I figured out i shouldn't ask the question about tapering off...so let me restate:

How long does the pain last for a 3-4 year under 100 mg opiate user last? Specific, right?!? My bad...

and...

Has anyone had positive experience with tapering versus cold turkey?
Old 07-07-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have no idea regarding your last question, but no one being able to know is not the same as not telling anyone. Your doctor for starters. I managed to keep my addiction to alcohol secret both when actively drinking and getting sober, but I did have to tell my doctor, people here, people in AA, people in an outpatient program, eventually I told a few close family members by choice. What I am saying is that you can still manage to keep it secret whilst making sure you get the support you need. To me talking to others has been a vital part of my recovery. If you are looking to avoid anyone at all at the moment though AVRT would be a good thing to look into. Glad you're here x
Old 07-07-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, no matter what there is going to be some discomfort. I do not know for how long, but long enough. I understand that no one can "know" about your addiction, but I believe that in order for anyone to get and remain sober, we need support. We need people to understand, and to help us along at times. It takes a lot of courage to ask for help. It takes a bit of letting down our guard, and knowing that "No man is an Island"- Doone
We are here for support, and to cheer lead you into a healthier place. Welcome to SR!
Old 07-07-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was there. I understand your pain. It is scary, and frankly dangerous, to do it alone. I detox'd off painkillers and Xanax in a secret 7day rehab. It was necessary to be on medicine to prevent seizures during withdrawal/detox. Plz find medical supervision. My pain was severe debilitating migraines. They lasted weeks and gradually subsided. It is very very hard but I can tell you it is worth it on the other side. The drugs had messed up everything: pain, insomnia , depression, inability to orgasm, shakiness, etc etc. these have all resolved!!! This can be true for you too. Find NA or AA meetings, take a seat, listen, and start the road to your future. You are not alone.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Everyone's experience with drugs during w/d is different so we can't really say how long or how bad it might be. I do advise that you get medical help in getting safely thru the w/d. Be safe.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by dadof3inTN View Post
Hey y'all...My doc is opiates...I started using them when I came off of coke..yeah, dumb move..obviously...but I'm still alive!!...hey!!..Anyhow, I have to quit now...I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to slip money from work and out of our savings..where I'm hurting in my legs real bad if I don't take them for a day...where I feel useless and not myself without them..and where I feel theyre taking their toll on my health internally..
Im taking at least 60 mg a day, but more like 90-100...hydros, perks, and oc/rxy when I can, and have been taking that amount for a year, while taking them for almost 3 years total, the first year of which i took 1-2 10s a day at work...
I've read many threads from this site andgotten great info...this is obviously not going to be easy...at all...but i don't have a choice...it's quit or lose everything...
I need a friend because no one can know...period...i know it would help, but it's just not an option....
What wd timeframe am i looking at here as far as the pain goes? Is it okay to eat 1 10 a day in the morn to mitigate it for the first week?
Well you may feel down in the dumps right now, but arriving to the fact you really only having two options on your plate is a GREAT place to finally get to. That is when real healing can actually begin. I am not sure how long withdrawal will last, because I was into booze and not pills. Either way, withdrawal will suck balls, but you can make it through it. Once that is over, the work starts and you can really grow and change into someone you are proud to be. Good luck, and check back as often as you can for support and encouragement. I think you are really going to enjoy being free from your addiction.