Notices

Dehydration and Alcohol ?

Old 05-13-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dehydration and Alcohol ?

Today is day 8 and its been difficult at times but I am hanging on and I havent slipped so I am very happy.
I started not to feel well (before I stopped drinking) my hands and feet would go numb I would feel faint. I went to the Dr and they told me I was dehydrated. It had happened to me once before I felt ill and I was so dehydrated that they put me on IV in the doctors office right away and that time they did ask me if I had been drinking the night before. OF COURSE I lied even though I drank about 2 liters of wine as I did almost every night. Well now its has all come to a screeching halt but I did go for full blood work up and I am having a physical today. I am nervous of the results and to tell you the truth since I have stopped drinking the numbness and faint feelings have not been as bad. Could it be that?? My dad has cirrochis and kidney failure from drinking so I know it can make you deathly ill, but I have not put the two and two together till today?
Has anyone else had this or similar situations before. I mean if you drink more alcohol than water ?? what did I think would happen? never thought about it.
Thank you
Angie
Old 05-13-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Dehydration can cause some of those symptoms Angie, but only a doctor can tell you for sure. My first weeks sober were a very anxious time for me as well, try not to worry so much and be 100% honest with your doctor today. They have seen it all and if you truly want an accurate diagnosis you need to give them all the information they need.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I will definatley let me know ... I am ok about being honest with him (and me) about it. I am so tired of being tied to it... I just pray I continue on this path
Old 05-13-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Angiekins3 View Post
I will definatley let me know ... I am ok about being honest with him (and me) about it. I am so tired of being tied to it... I just pray I continue on this path
Seeing your doctor is definitely a step in the right direction. And you can definitely continue on this path if you want, support can be very helpful too. Do you have a support plan in place yet? The initial withdrawal itself and the shock value of finally realizing you have a problem is a great motivator for a while, but eventually you can fall back to your old ways pretty easily if you aren't vigilant. Do you plan on using any local support at all?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes I am attending AA meetings. So far one a day has been working and I am going to one on one therapy also. I have a very supportive husband as well. For once I am looking out for me as Ive been taking care of everyone else and have drowned my own feelings with booze and now I realize it. I am only 39 (I know that is old to some people lol) and my kids are young and I have my whole life ahead of me. I dont want my kids to see me suffer the way my father has. Its just so not worth it. I KNOW it will and is hard but I just want my life to change. I feel so hopeful and scared....so i definaltley have a support group
Thank you!
Old 05-13-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am a heart patient and must be very careful about dehydration since I understand that it would affect my electrolytes, particularly the potassium level, which is essential for the heart. I have not had a drink in 25 years and am confident that if I were to resume drinking this would pose a severe health threat. Excessive alcohol may result in dehydration. It's always crucial to be completely candid and truthful to your doctor to avoid things like heart attacks, strokes and seizures. If I had not stopped drinking I would not be writing this post.

W.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
I am a heart patient and must be very careful about dehydration since I understand that it would affect my electrolytes, particularly the potassium level, which is essential for the heart. I have not had a drink in 25 years and am confident that if I were to resume drinking this would pose a severe health threat. Excessive alcohol may result in dehydration. It's always crucial to be completely candid and truthful to your doctor to avoid things like heart attacks, strokes and seizures. If I had not stopped drinking I would not be writing this post.

W.
Its interesting that you say potassium cause there was an issue with it being high in my last labs. Ill find out today...TU for your response you have so much to be proud of
Old 05-13-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Let us know how you got on angiekins

D
Old 05-13-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I remember getting the numbness & tingling in my hands and feet and I did attribute it to dehydration from drinking. But it's good you're going to get checked out, keep us posted!
Old 05-13-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

well my Dr said I am not dehydrated now and that dehydration could very well have played a role in it. But there is a very good chance that I have Lyme Disease. I need to get tested again as he said I did not get a negative but not a positive either. We will see. But the dehydration is definitely related to drinking for sure.
Thanks for asking!
Angie