Notices

Trying to clean up the wreckage of my past*

Old 04-20-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to clean up the wreckage of my past*

Hi, I'm Kassie.

I've been in the mental health system since the age of twelve, my addiction issues started at sixteen, I'm twenty-two now. I've been sent to treatment centres all over Canada but was unable to uphold any continuous sobriety time until just recently. I'm trying to figure out who I am without hard drugs and alcohol, I don't know how to have fun, I don't really know what I enjoy doing. I'm scared of myself, I'm scared of letting everyone down. I've got ten months in now but six of those were spent in an inpatient treatment facility, in a safe little bubble away from everything. I'm in university now, I attend at least one meeting a day, I'm moving out of the care home where I live in August, but I'm still scared. I have a wonderful sponsor, psychologist and psychiatrist but I'm still scared that I'm not going to be strong enough to keep doing this. I'm trying though, I really am... I guess I'm looking for some understanding here. I have concurrent disorders, I'm crazy and an addict. My sponsor is through AA because the NA fellowship in my city is a bit off so she doesn't understand the drug perspective. I'm hoping I'm not so different, not so broken.

Rambling now.

Thanks.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like your getting it together. Good on you for getting into university that is great. Stay strong you can and are doing this.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Kassie you are doing very well. Keep on doing what works for you. You have a lot to give, and could help others as well. Best to you.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

special gift

Originally Posted by 0baobab View Post
I guess I'm looking for some understanding here.

you have some good solid ground to stand on now
believe me
that is a special gift
I've seen many who never get it

keep busy each day sticking to your Program which is working for you
be easy on yourself as you get used to this new way of living
there will be much to deal with
God can help to walk you through it

if we seek him with all of our heart

onehigherpower
Old 04-20-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Welcome to SR. I came to this forum in January, met some people, made some friends. I am so thankful that I did. Feel at home, explore a little. Just reading helps me. Seeing others in the same place. Seeing how they are handling their own recovery. Continue posting ,share your struggle. Better to own it whatever it might be. Join in, join the class of April , the 24 hour club. You will find much support here. God Bless
Old 04-20-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR

This is a very supportive community. Keep the faith, you are doing all the right things.

Believe in yourself, people really do get better here x
Old 04-20-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all so so much. <3
Old 04-20-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Obaobab, 10 months? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. Rootin for ya, Obaobab. You'll make it.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Kassie,
I'm new on here, just read your post. Sounds to me like you're doing all the right things! Everyone gets scared, espescially when things are changing, even people without alcohol issues, and anyone who says they don't are not being honest!
All the best
Sam
Old 04-20-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

“The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.”
Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

You are not alone Kassie. Welcome to SR.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family! Sounds to me like you're doing fine. Ten months sober is wonderful. Keep on doing whatever you're doing. You can always come here to vent or ask for advice. This is an international site so someone will be online all the time.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kassie

Whenever the road ahead looks too long, too full of shadow, or too rocky...I try to remind myself that all I need to do is negotiate today

Don't talk up the challenge. I believe each of us has it in us to stay clean and sober - it's the way we came into the world....and I think, if we think about it, most of us have faced even great challenges.

I don't need to do it alone either - there's always a lot of support to call in if you need it

I'm really glad you found us - welcome aboard

D
Old 04-20-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 0baobab View Post
I'm hoping I'm not so different, not so broken.

Rambling now.

Thanks.
Welcome. Well done on 10 months. BTW, I'm pretty sure you're "not so different" than many of us here. You will find a lot of understanding here.