Notices

seeking support for family members of addicts

Old 04-05-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

seeking support for family members of addicts

Hi my name is Aydan. I'm here because I'm looking for support for family members of substance abuse addicts. I have a family member currently in treatment. I would like to work on a 12 step program designed for families so that I can heal and hopefully be a part of the positive environment for my family member when he gets out of treatment. Please help me connect with people in the right forum and please let me know of any resources available that you think will be helpful.
Thank you very much.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

There's lots of information here on our forum: Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

There might be a family day at the treatment center in which you may be abler to participate.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I appreciate your help. Thank you very much
Old 04-05-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

I found al-Anon saved my sanity with both addicts in my family.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was looking into Al-Anon and it looks great except my family member is addicted to narcotics and they focus exclusively on alcohol.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

Originally Posted by Aydan View Post
I was looking into Al-Anon and it looks great except my family member is addicted to narcotics and they focus exclusively on alcohol.
What is Al-anon?

For over 50 years, Al-Anon (which includes Al-ateen for younger members) has been offering hope and help to families and friends of alcoholics and drug addicts.

It is estimated that each addict/alcoholic affects the lives of at least four other people... alcoholism is truly a family disease. No matter what relationship you have with an alcoholic, whether they are still drinking or not, all who have been affected by someone else’s drinking can find solutions that lead to serenity in the fellowship.

Al-Anon
Old 04-05-2013, 10:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aydan View Post
that's ok! my bf is a heroin addict and I went to al anon before I switched to celebrate recovery. the principles are the same, just change drink to use in your mind and alcohol to (fill in the blank) there also is a group called nar anon too, but in my city there are less of those
Old 04-05-2013, 10:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Naranon exists, too. There just happens to be more Al Anon meetings than Naranon.

Your choice!

Central Atlantic Region of NA Meetings and Information Call and ask about Naranon for Friends and Family

http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/ Direct link to Al Anon
Old 04-05-2013, 10:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That is awesome they are so similar. That just made my night because we have a lot more Al-Anon resources here. We don't even have Naranon in Richmond I don't think.
Originally Posted by Lily1918 View Post
that's ok! my bf is a heroin addict and I went to al anon before I switched to celebrate recovery. the principles are the same, just change drink to use in your mind and alcohol to (fill in the blank) there also is a group called nar anon too, but in my city there are less of those
Old 04-05-2013, 10:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for your help everyone I really appreciate it. I am so happy I found this website!