Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read Chat Room [8]

Welcome to the Sober Recovery Community

Already registered? Login above ---^
OR
To take advantage of all Posting, Chatting, Gaming, and all the features available at SoberRecovery, join the over 100,000 current members, and become a member of our supportive community today! Ads will no longer appear on the forums, once you register.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

seeking support for family members of addicts

Hi my name is Aydan. I'm here because I'm looking for support for family members of substance abuse addicts. I have a family member currently in treatment. I would like to work on a 12 step program designed for families so that I can heal and hopefully be a part of the positive environment for my family member when he gets out of treatment. Please help me connect with people in the right forum and please let me know of any resources available that you think will be helpful.
Thank you very much.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aydan For This Useful Post:
HappyDestiny3 (04-05-2013), Lily1918 (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sobriety is Traditional

There's lots of information here on our forum: Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

There might be a family day at the treatment center in which you may be abler to participate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coldfusion For This Useful Post:
Lily1918 (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

I appreciate your help. Thank you very much
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Reach Out and Touch Faith

I found al-Anon saved my sanity with both addicts in my family.

Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Shockozulu
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shockozulu For This Useful Post:
HappyDestiny3 (04-05-2013), Lily1918 (04-05-2013), sugarbear1 (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

I was looking into Al-Anon and it looks great except my family member is addicted to narcotics and they focus exclusively on alcohol.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aydan View Post
I was looking into Al-Anon and it looks great except my family member is addicted to narcotics and they focus exclusively on alcohol.
What is Al-anon?

For over 50 years, Al-Anon (which includes Al-ateen for younger members) has been offering hope and help to families and friends of alcoholics and drug addicts.

It is estimated that each addict/alcoholic affects the lives of at least four other people... alcoholism is truly a family disease. No matter what relationship you have with an alcoholic, whether they are still drinking or not, all who have been affected by someone else’s drinking can find solutions that lead to serenity in the fellowship.

Al-Anon
The Following User Says Thank You to HappyDestiny3 For This Useful Post:
Lily1918 (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aydan View Post
that's ok! my bf is a heroin addict and I went to al anon before I switched to celebrate recovery. the principles are the same, just change drink to use in your mind and alcohol to (fill in the blank) there also is a group called nar anon too, but in my city there are less of those

"I don't want you to save me. I want you to be my friend and stand by me while I save myself."
~unknown
Old 04-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
~sb

Naranon exists, too. There just happens to be more Al Anon meetings than Naranon.

Your choice!

Central Atlantic Region of NA Meetings and Information Call and ask about Naranon for Friends and Family

http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/ Direct link to Al Anon

All Big Book quotes are from the first edition.
Linked with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

That is awesome they are so similar. That just made my night because we have a lot more Al-Anon resources here. We don't even have Naranon in Richmond I don't think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily1918 View Post
that's ok! my bf is a heroin addict and I went to al anon before I switched to celebrate recovery. the principles are the same, just change drink to use in your mind and alcohol to (fill in the blank) there also is a group called nar anon too, but in my city there are less of those
Old 04-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you for your help everyone I really appreciate it. I am so happy I found this website!