Notices

Sober and emotional

Old 03-03-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober and emotional

Anyone else find themselves overly emotional when sober. I'm crying and writing this. I had a great day today. Some painful things from my past surfacing and now I'm crying. Maybe it's not being 'overly' emotional but sobriety is allowing me to feel them. Honestly feel them and be aware that they are there. Do I drink to cover this stuff up? The death of my sister is what I'm thinking about and I realise that that's ok. To not run away from feeling. To not embrace the camouflage of inebriation. I miss her and I'm sober. That's real and painful. I miss her and I don't want a drink to take that honesty away. Thanks SR for creating a safe place where emotional honesty is encouraged and supported x
Old 03-03-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh yes!!!

I see something with the slightest bit of inspiration and i get goose bumps and get so choked up that i can barely speak.

And I'm not normally an emotional girl. But on the flip side, when it comes to the anger that i used to feel almost daily, i can hardly get mad.

Road rage. I swear, sometimes i wanted to yank people out of their cars and kill em, but now i simply just pull over and let them go by.

Imagine that....

I think that eventually things settle down to where they should be
Old 03-03-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

camouflage of inebriation is a good way to put it
Old 03-03-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it sounds like you're doing well!
Old 03-03-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm learning that it is really important to sit with and go through my feelings in order for me to be able to create any sense of balance in my life. I'm sorry that you are sad but I'm so happy that you are able to feel and be sober! What a gift!
Old 03-03-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I cried a lot the first two months. You are right where you are supposed to be ((hugs))
Old 03-03-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post & all the responses. I'm 20 days sober & just started crying tonight for no real reason. Yesterday I felt like a million dollars & today I feel so blah. I'm not usually so emotional, but they keep telling me it gets better.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Yep its happened to me too! I remember just sitting there one day feeling great then the next minute I start crying intensely for what seemed like no reason. Its happened a few times in the past few months. Theres a lot of emotions I didn't feel for all those years. It feels great to know I can now deal with them sober, and sometimes even embrace them.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had emotions all over the place at first. Now I'm mostly just in the middle. I used to get pissed off easily and when I first sobered up I'd go from pissed to sad to happy in 5 minutes but now it's nice because I have a much better temper. I have reminders around my house of my old anger management issues- broken window, missing door because I punched it, and messed up chair- and I'm glad I don't get like that anymore. But in the beginning you kinda have to let it all out.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

You are definately not alone. I was more emotional when I sobered up as I used drinking to cover up my feeling and to cope. Now I have to cope on my own without a crutch. And I discovered that I can do it and am proud of myself. Of coure that makes me feel emotional all over again.

Like everyone has said it is a good thing.