Notices

Spiritual awakening.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Spiritual awakening.

I'm here to tell you they are real. I had one major epiphany, awakening, whatever u wanna call it. It hit me like a ton of bricks last night and I shared at my meeting tonight. I was so overwhelmed, I cried. I actually felt like my sharing helped some people in the room.

I believed in them, but I never ever thought I would get there, to that point where I would notice. After last night, and tonight, I'm grateful to have been sober and realized it.

The promises are coming true. It's breathtaking!

AA may not be for all people, but it's definitely for me!
Old 03-03-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

Mine was a little different from yours but I too am a firm believer in AA as my method of recovery. I really wanted a burning bush. Like, really. And despite my"trying" there never was one. In fact, I woke up one day and realized it had happened while I wasn't paying attention! I just "got it" one day and everything just clicked- spiritually, emotionally... The fellowship of AA can accomplish amazing things one day at a time.

Sent from my iPad using SoberRecovery
Old 03-03-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This thread is very interesting to me as I am intensely curious about those kind of "aha!" moments people have in their lives that alter their course permanently. I have had one in another area of my life and I have read about others in regard to addiction but if anyone would be willing to share more about their moment(s) (I realize some of this stuff is very personal), I would be most grateful.

Thank you!!
Old 03-03-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Most of my spiritual aha's have come from reading books especially "a new earth". I wrote comments in the margins as I read it and when I read the oil the second time I could see that I was a different person after reading it than I was the first time.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

The varieties of religious experience : a study in human nature. Is a great read on the subject (BTW Bill W. was reading this book in Towns hospital when he had his). You can get it free online here ----> The varieties of religious experience; a study in human nature; being the Gifford lectures on natural religion delivered at Edinburgh in 1901-1902 : James, William, 1842-1910 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Not even midway through the steps I became interested in the world’s religions and began to study them. I mean honestly look at them, with an open mind. I had a spiritual experience that was, for me, dramatic. I attribute this to the seeking, the honest desire to “know” God. To that point I had never sought. For me the seeking was all important. Everything else that happens flows from that.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fallingtogether View Post
I'm here to tell you they are real. I had one major epiphany, awakening, whatever u wanna call it. It hit me like a ton of bricks last night and I shared at my meeting tonight. I was so overwhelmed, I cried. I actually felt like my sharing helped some people in the room.

I believed in them, but I never ever thought I would get there, to that point where I would notice. After last night, and tonight, I'm grateful to have been sober and realized it.

The promises are coming true. It's breathtaking!

AA may not be for all people, but it's definitely for me!
So amazing I feel the same such peace
Old 03-03-2013, 10:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

i'm just getting back into the program. i drove from Wisconsin to the Gulf Coast of Alabama and back and AA speaker tapes were my companion the entire time. so much inspiration! i was in meetings the entire time in Alabama and was in a meeting up here in Wisconsin today. i met my sponsor today (i wasn't going to go to this meeting but i found it at the last minute.). she's a lady who was picking up her 13 year sobriety chip and was chairing the meeting. what a happy coincidence. well, perhaps this is evidence of God working in my life already. AA is such a wonderful place. i'm so emotionally shutdown right now. i rarely laugh and i never cry anymore. i'm hoping that though AA and my therapist and my psych, i can get back to feeling again.

i'm only 4 days sober so i know i'm a ways away from my AHA! moment. but it will happen. not in my time but in God's time.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ptcapote View Post
This thread is very interesting to me as I am intensely curious about those kind of "aha!" moments people have in their lives that alter their course permanently. I have had one in another area of my life and I have read about others in regard to addiction but if anyone would be willing to share more about their moment(s) (I realize some of this stuff is very personal), I would be most grateful.

Thank you!!
Ok, I'll try to explain as best I can:
1981, my mother passes from a terminal cancer, at the age of 29, I was 4. My dad remarried twice, and he passed away at 50, I was 25. He owned a bar, but never drank, he always made comments of never wanting to lose control, and he always reinforced reputation. I didn't start drinking til I was 24, so he didn't physically witness my drinking or the results of my drinking.

My moms brother, who is 5 years older than me, entered recover like 13 years ago, and has always found a way to preach AA. To which I wasn't very perceptive until the last couple years. And even when I was perceptive, I wanted the changes he talked of, but didn't follow through, I hadn't reached my bottom.

Numerous humiliating situations later, including passing out in bars, being a monster of a mother, and severely less than perfect wife, - letting go of all control and no regard for rwputation, I find myself at the tables. Got a sponsor and started the work. Thrilled to Do my 4 and 5 step, to get it all out, I do them and realize alot
Of my drinking was because I felt so absolutely alone due to the fact at 25 I had no parents, no direction to take me in. I discovered i used it as a crutch since I had no parents to physically show me the way. And although I didn't outright talk of it ALL of the time, having no parents approval was a huge part of my drinking! My husbands disproving position was t enough.
Fast forward to meeting Friday night, it was good, nothing spectacular, talked of 24 hr a day reading.

Well, Saturday night, I was awaken by son coughing, and had a hard time falling back to sleep, I laid in bed just being still and it came to me. God gave me my kids as warnings that my life needs to slow down and change. My drinking could not continue, and so he gave me a taste of sobriety twice, no work needed other than to grow two precious human lives. He brought me to my bottom so I would wake up. And he gave me a relapse last weekend with enough humiliation to remember why I can't be a drinker. He brought me happiness in sober times to teach me that is what life is about. He took a member of my group to use for another purpose and brought his parents into my life so I could see what my parents would have maybe gone through. And he placed this disease upon my uncle and myself because we will never be alone as long as we live. He has almost taken another member of my group, but he gave me words to use when talking to him, that apply to me as well, but wanted me to carry him a message at that moment. He may have taken my parents away from me, and ur, that's sad but he have me a gift wham he placed my uncle in my life. I understand now what all the preaching was about. He gave me every person in my life for a reason, especially my kids. Because no matter how low I have felt, one look at them, one huh, one smile reminds me of all the hard work and dedication that this disease requires. He gave me strong shoulders! If he brings you to it, he will walk you through it!

I was so overwhelmed when this all changed in messy night, I could hardly sleep. It was the most serene and complete feeling I have had since I became a mother. And I felt him tell me, that I was going to be alright.

I hope that relays what I had happen. Sorry if I jumped around. Thanks for reading.