Notices

All opinions welcomed!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Simply Grateful

AA isn't for everyone. Like others have said, take what you need and leave the rest. There are some things I don't buy into about the program but so much of it is good and works for me that I choose to keep going. Also, its true that face to face meetings are helpful and get me out of the house too.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

"The first thing is that although I do believe in god, I personally don't believe that the higher power is going to keep me from drinking. It may be a part of the overall picture, but inevitably it is up to me."

I'd agree.

"The second thing was a guy stood up and said something to the effect of its not our fault that we drink and that one drink will never suffice. I know for a fact that one drink will never be enough for me so I cant ever have alcohol again. I finally realized 7 weeks ago that I am responsible for picking that first drink up!"

Got it. Your points are that god doesn't keep you from drinking and that since you can't stop at one you now know you cannot ever drink again and are responsible if you do that again.

I think that's a fine and logical basis to use going forward. It's fairly surprising that people would experience any further problems after deciding that drinking's not a good idea for them and they are not going to drink, as you have done. I've some experience doing that starting at age 19 that went on for a while, but everyone's path is their own.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

AA is a great place to learn how to get sober, and more importantly, meet sober people.

Because after all, where else are you going to meet sober people? At the bar? At the drug house? Probably not.

If you meet some good quality sober people at the meetings you attend (and I'm sure you will) you will be able to develop a support network. And if you use this network, odds are, you'll be able to stay sober.

Just like SR, except face-to-face.

You need sober friends in order to stay sober. I'm convinced of it. We've had plenty of drinking buddies, but now it's time to develop adult friendships, and learn how to actually bond with people without the aid of drugs or alcohol.

Many drug addicts and alcoholics have very few true friends when they first come in. And after you've stayed sober a while, you won't be hearing much from your old drinking buddies. I can assure you of that.