SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Pain relief after operation (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/282104-pain-relief-after-operation.html)

Midlifecrisis 01-24-2013 05:38 PM

Pain relief after operation

So in a couple of months I have to have an op to remove a massive lump under my arm. It's not booked or anything yet but I am already worried about being put on pain relief and what my brain will do with it:(

My head says, oh yay, a legitimate reason...but I'm fearful because the old 1's too many and 1000's not enough is oh so true.

Anna 01-24-2013 05:45 PM

I don't think anyone should have to suffer in pain after surgery. So, it would seem reasonable to talk to your dr about this, and hopefully you would only need pain relief for a short time and you could move onto otc pain relief.

I think it's good that you're aware of the potential problem and seeking support.

Lenina 01-24-2013 05:45 PM

You might start looking into hypnosis for pain relief. Acupuncture is another option. I was shocked how well it worked for my shoulder pain. If your doctors are open to alternative medicine, maybe they can recommend someone?

Love from Lenina

Midlifecrisis 01-24-2013 05:47 PM

Thanks Anna, yeah it's on my mind alot.

Midlifecrisis 01-24-2013 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lenina (Post 3788541)
You might start looking into hypnosis for pain relief. Acupuncture is another option. I was shocked how well it worked for my shoulder pain. If your doctors are open to alternative medicine, maybe they can recommend someone?

Love from Lenina

Thanks. I have used acupuncture before with some success so that might be a good idea, thanks. I have a friend who runs a hypnotherapy business but I'm not entirely comfortable with going that route. Thanks for the reply!

Delilah1 01-24-2013 05:51 PM

I still take medicine when I am sick. I think it is about using appropriately. I agree with Anna that talking to your doctor would be a good idea. Keep us posted about your surgery.

Midlifecrisis 01-24-2013 05:53 PM

What I worry about is that I still crave that altered state so much that as soon as I get a hint of it, it will make it unbearable:(. Thanks, I'll keep you posted.

vegibean 01-24-2013 05:54 PM

I feel after being cut into, you need something a little stronger than Ibuprofen, I think letting your doctor know would be wise, and as well, I'm sure they are not going to over prescribed to you. I know after some time you won't necessarily need a strong narcotic, you know? Good luck with your surgery and I hope you heal quickly and well. :)

legna 01-24-2013 06:08 PM

I was lying on a guerney in the emergency room in excruciating pain when the doctor entered with a rig. "What's that?" I cried out. "Just some demerol for..."

And then he hit the floor as I rolled off the table and swung the IV pole at him, clipping him in the shoulder. I was 30 days clean and as far as my 30 day clean brain was concerned, it may as well have been an AK-47 - he was trying to kill me.

I get it. There are times for pain meds; this might be one of those times. Might not be. Reading your posts though, I get the sense you are serious. I think you'll make the right decision when the time comes.

LexieCat 01-24-2013 06:39 PM

I started to type a response, but decided I am not qualified to respond. I am an alcoholic who never liked the way any other drugs made me feel. Even at the time of my worst drinking, I would get off any prescription pain meds the second I started to feel a buzz from them because I did not like it.

Obviously, it's much different if you DO (or, rather DID) like the way they made you feel. Talk to your doctor, be honest with him/her and listen to the good advice from the other addicts here on the forum who were fond of pain meds. You are alert to the danger, and a little prayer wouldn't hurt, either. :)

Midlifecrisis 01-27-2013 05:02 AM

Thanks vegibean. Yeah I am sure I will require something stronger. I'm not even worried about being over prescribed or having access or whatever. It's just that whole mind altering thing that I so crave, just fear it will open that door again and the obsession will get worse.

Midlifecrisis 01-27-2013 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by legna (Post 3788594)
I was lying on a guerney in the emergency room in excruciating pain when the doctor entered with a rig. "What's that?" I cried out. "Just some demerol for..."

And then he hit the floor as I rolled off the table and swung the IV pole at him, clipping him in the shoulder. I was 30 days clean and as far as my 30 day clean brain was concerned, it may as well have been an AK-47 - he was trying to kill me.

I get it. There are times for pain meds; this might be one of those times. Might not be. Reading your posts though, I get the sense you are serious. I think you'll make the right decision when the time comes.

Wow, thanks for sharing. That's amazing, the reaction and conviction you had!

It's nice that people get it.

Midlifecrisis 01-27-2013 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by LexieCat (Post 3788651)
I started to type a response, but decided I am not qualified to respond. I am an alcoholic who never liked the way any other drugs made me feel. Even at the time of my worst drinking, I would get off any prescription pain meds the second I started to feel a buzz from them because I did not like it.

Obviously, it's much different if you DO (or, rather DID) like the way they made you feel. Talk to your doctor, be honest with him/her and listen to the good advice from the other addicts here on the forum who were fond of pain meds. You are alert to the danger, and a little prayer wouldn't hurt, either. :)

Thanks for replying. Yeah I guess, I just really crave any drug, including alcohol that will change the way I feel so like I said above, I'm worried about taking anything that will make me more vulnerable. Definitely sending up prayers:)

RainingInMyHead 01-27-2013 05:19 AM

Legna, this maybe terribly insensitive of me to say, and I don't mean it to be at all, but your reply made me want to giggle for two reasons:

1. I work in the ER and I was picturing that incident playing out with my coworkers
2. I would probably be that patient, too!

It's hard for people who haven't "been there" to get it, you know?

Midlifecrisis,

Since getting sober I have not even taken any type of headache medicine. I guess I am afraid to. I suggest talking with your doctor and seeing what they say. Ultimately, I don't think you need to suffer through physical pain, but I know the need for one's thoughts to all make sense in one's mind. (Not sure if I even made sense there!) ;)

tomsteve 01-27-2013 05:49 AM

in recovery, i have been though 6 surgeries to carve out cancer.the first one was axillary to remove all the lymph nodes under my left arm and wide are excision on my back to remove a bunch of cancer and surrounding tissue. the surgeon explained it was rather serious and i would need pain management. i had a concern about the pain meds and the surgeon assured me they werent gonna just throw me out of the hoslital on more than what was needed to control the pain. she also assured me they would be in contact with me to see how the pain management was going.
i talked to my sponsor( AA) before the surgery and explained my concerns. he said,"welp, you really dont know crap about this surgery and whats gonna be hapening after, so its time to let God and the doctors do what they do best." yup. he ws right.
after the surgery, the surgeon and her staff were in contact with me every day and quite often twice a day. i also stayed in contact with my sponsor nd others and let them know what was goin on in my melon.
heres something that went on in my melon:
3 days after gettin out of the hospital, i wanted to get off the meds, so i did so on my own. big mistake. the pain got excrusiating and was a bugger to get back under control.

sugarbear1 01-27-2013 06:08 AM

Talk with your doctor. If your body needs to heal properly with medication, than it needs to heal properly.

Time to get into serious meditation and increase the strength of your step work.

You'll get through this!

Midlifecrisis 01-28-2013 02:26 PM

Thanks. Yeah I'll cross that bridge when I come to it I guess:)

Pixienottipsy 01-28-2013 03:53 PM

We just discussed this in an AA meeting I attended last week. Some of the suggestions given were to tell your Doc that you are an alcoholic or addict, and find a "safe person" to keep your medication and give it to your as needed. If the doctor is aware of your problem they should only prescribe you the minimum amount of medication needed after your procedure. Having a "safe person"to eliminates the possibility of trying to take too much of the medication. Even after you are done with the medication it was strongly suggested to stay in close contact with sober friends and a sponsor if you have one. Surgery and healing can be very scary, but don't forget you have us here at SR, and we do care. ;)

ACT10Npack 01-28-2013 04:48 PM

This question should be address to your doctor/surgeon.

Midlifecrisis 01-28-2013 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Pixienottipsy (Post 3794730)
We just discussed this in an AA meeting I attended last week. Some of the suggestions given were to tell your Doc that you are an alcoholic or addict, and find a "safe person" to keep your medication and give it to your as needed. If the doctor is aware of your problem they should only prescribe you the minimum amount of medication needed after your procedure. Having a "safe person"to eliminates the possibility of trying to take too much of the medication. Even after you are done with the medication it was strongly suggested to stay in close contact with sober friends and a sponsor if you have one. Surgery and healing can be very scary, but don't forget you have us here at SR, and we do care. ;)

Thanks for sharing that with me:)