Notices

Missed a Meeting. Feeling Guilty.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Missed a Meeting. Feeling Guilty.

There was a women's meeting today, but I did not go. It was my day off, my son was home, and things were just too perfect at home to get up and leave. I have been attending meetings regularly and have not drank. I am just so guilty that I missed today. I picked up my steps and read the big book and I do not want to drink I know I can't and I know if I do my life will continue to be one big suck fest. In the days I have not drank, I feel great, I have money, and I accomplish things. I am fairly new to recovery and missed meetings get to me. Any thoughts or can anyone relate?
-a quiet night at home.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

KMC, one missed meeting brings you as close to drinking as you let it. Keep in mind that group meetings are only an AID to help you stay sober. The ultimate determining factor to your sobriety and happiness is you, and you alone.

Fun fact: those who attend group meetings and those who don't are equally as likely to quit the habit.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How you feel is important, and is a guage that you can use to measure the things you're doing that make you feel bad and the things that make you feel better.

So you know now what missing meetings feels like to you and you can either do that or choose otherwise. You might consider supporting your sobriety with more than meetings nightly, as doing that can become an evening eater and you surely want some home time.

Why not ask someone who knows, what alternatives you have to going so often? Members who do other things quite often attend meetings infrequently because they never "need" a meeting...the meetings have zero to do with staying sober for those people.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't feel guilty about missing a meeting. Just because you missed a meeting does not mean that you are any less sober or that you are not working on your sobriety. Feelings of guilt are a massive trigger for a lot of people so don't beat yourself up about this. Your sobriety is not determined by the meetings you attend, but rather the fact that you are not drinking. I'd be careful placing so much importance on meetings, because there might be a time when you can't attend for a long while.