Notices

be heard

Old 01-18-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

be heard

Just in from smoking what I fully intend to be my last cigarette. Yeah I've said that before. It's to the point, however, that I cannot progress until that addictive habit is stopped. I'm a hypocrite to keep smoking and be in recovery, because I know cigarettes are just a sorry substitute for smoking pot. So long as I allow myself to keep indulging it keeps the addictive thinking and all that mindset alive. It prevents progress.

While on the walk I kept thinking that I wish there were some clear path, some sign or something, someone I could turn to, or who could help guide me. Something! Came in and brewed a cup of tea. On the tea bag is the sign. It simply says "be heard." So long as I remain isolated in my own head, there is no insight to be had, as I can talk my way out of and around everything. Including taking action. So I'm here, making myself heard. Which, yeah, I've done before as well. Still trying, though.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Fair play. You're stronger than me. Coffee and ciggarettes are the two vices I don't wanna give up or cut down yet.

Natom.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Natom View Post
Fair play. You're stronger than me. Coffee and ciggarettes are the two vices I don't wanna give up or cut down yet.

Natom.
Yet you're able to put down other drugs or alcohol? YOU are stronger than me!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by andisa View Post
Just in from smoking what I fully intend to be my last cigarette. Yeah I've said that before. It's to the point, however, that I cannot progress until that addictive habit is stopped. I'm a hypocrite to keep smoking and be in recovery, because I know cigarettes are just a sorry substitute for smoking pot. So long as I allow myself to keep indulging it keeps the addictive thinking and all that mindset alive. It prevents progress.

While on the walk I kept thinking that I wish there were some clear path, some sign or something, someone I could turn to, or who could help guide me. Something! Came in and brewed a cup of tea. On the tea bag is the sign. It simply says "be heard." So long as I remain isolated in my own head, there is no insight to be had, as I can talk my way out of and around everything. Including taking action. So I'm here, making myself heard. Which, yeah, I've done before as well. Still trying, though.
Best of luck. I was never a smoker but i was a daily ( all day ) user of smokeless tobacco for many years. I quit cold turkey on May 13, 2010. It was a bear but at least the physical withdrawal wasn't nearly what it was like with alcohol. For me it wasn't even really about the taste or the buzz. but more the routine. I still have dreams that I have a chew to this day many years later. I have family members who quit smoking and the physical difference can be remarkable when your lungs start to clear out - so you definitely have that to look forward to!