Notices

Abstinence and moderation

Old 01-17-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Abstinence and moderation

After rehab, it is clear that abstinence, the right environment and moderating our life are all important. What can we do to prevent stupid thoughts and addictions that are negative to our lives in the first place?
Old 01-17-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

For me preventing the drinky druggy thoughts dosn't seem to work , they get less with more sober time though .

What does seem to work for me is learning how to deal with thoughts and feelings without taking recourse to drink and drugs .

From urge surfing for short term cravings to more in depth self awareness to work on longer term issues .

Bestwishes, M
Old 01-17-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by changenetwork
What can we do to prevent stupid thoughts and addictions that are negative to our lives in the first place?
I'm not so sure it's about preventing the thoughts, per se, but more about not reacting to them or acting on them.
Well, what I do is separate those thoughts as "not me", then I dismiss them. Any thought that supports or suggests he possible future use of alcohol or drugs is identified as my addictive voice, and the answer is No. It took practice to refine, but it has worked well for me.

Of course, I work hard to make my life the way I want it to be, but being happy isn't what keeps me from drinking. In fact, I have had some of my most difficult times since I quit, but I decided a long time ago that there will never be a good reason to drink. Never. Good times, bad times, that's life. I am a non-drinker. I like the freedom in that decision, because I don't have to "wrestle" with it.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What I've learned about myself is that I have very addictive-thinking. I can talk myself in to a drink or a drug no matter what despite my level of knowledge regarding this disease (I've been in the clinical field for over 20 years). I appreciate the comment that soberlicious made about being a non-drinker and not having to make a decision about whether to drink or not. Life is way too complicated for me at times and the less decision-making the safer I and everyone else will be. Not drinking no matter what works best for me.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by soberclover
I can talk myself in to a drink or a drug no matter
me too soberclover...if I "get in the ring" with the AV, there is a likely possibility I will eventually lose. I've learned that about myself. The answer for me is not to get in the ring in the first place. Just because I'm invited to the match, doesn't mean I have to go.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
me too soberclover...if I "get in the ring" with the AV, there is a likely possibility I will eventually lose. I've learned that about myself. The answer for me is not to get in the ring in the first place. Just because I'm invited to the match, doesn't mean I have to go.
And that, was for me, the straightforward and uncomplicated bare bones truth which eluded me for years and years.

Somehow along the way I came to believe my sobriety was a reprieve, a postponement, contingently based on so many factors. I was always looking out for the proverbial banana peel I might slip on.

I ended up missing the most important link of all; complete and permanent abstinence.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

“Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habit.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.”

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-17-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Being honest with myself and others is very important to me. I thought I was honest before but I was a people pleaser which led to me being resentful and justified my drinking. Negative thinking is a massive problem to me too so I got into mindfulness meditation and various other things to help me stop being so fatalistic about everything.

It took me a while to accept it but drinking is my default setting and I have to work pretty hard to make sure I don't revert to that. It's not about preventing drinking thoughts or even being happy. It's just about accepting certain things and recognising certain thoughts and feelings but just not reacting to them. Distraction has been my biggest weapon.

Welcome to SR Changenetwork x
Old 01-17-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like soberlicious said I could never avoid the thoughts - but I could change my reaction to them, and make different healthier decisions

eventually the thoughts faded away...I'm sure it will be the same for you too

welcome to SR changenetwork

D
Old 01-17-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Not Alone

In my experience you can't prevent the thoughts and feelings but you can change the way you deal with them. If you are working a steady program of recovery there are various exercises you can do. There is also something called urge surfing which you can find more info about below

Urge Surfing: How to Overcome Addictive Behaviors

Natom.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think its important to find new healthy addictions and enjoy life and the right positive people around me / us! By addictions I mean all moderated new hobbies and activities that are positive to my / our life!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Huh?

I couldn't use alcohol or weed responsibly. So abstinence is my only choice.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

What HereIam said.

Ill deal with life sober. I cannot prevent the thoughts and dont need or want too. That is simply the old me fading into the distance as my new existence is born.