Notices

How long to feel normal again

Old 01-17-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long to feel normal again

I have been sober for 25 days. But still feel blues, weird sensation in chest and overall uncomfortableness on and off. Worst part, sometime it triggers anxiety and weird feeling takes tail spin for worse. I have already visited ER once and grace of god no health issues.

Its been while now, but I still not sure when I would feel normal again for at least patch of few days. I am missing greatly my normal days after being sober. I dont know if this is for why I became sober. I really miss to feel natural , happy feeling very much. When I would get that back?? Or does that even exist for sober folks??

finalquit100
Old 01-17-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi final quit

sorry you feel a little off - I think it's different for all of us, but for me it took at least 30 days to even *start* to feel ok.

some of us dug some pretty deep holes...they can take some climbing out of?

D
Old 01-17-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It took me about 2 mos. to start feeling better. I'd been drinking all day, though. We've abused ourselves quite badly - it takes time to heal from the abuse. Glad you got yourself checked out.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey final...I am a little over 2 months. For me, some days are better than others. 1st month I had trouble sleeping and the 2nd one I just wanted to sleep. Feel like I am kind of starting to even out. Def takes time. I have been asking people when I will feel better but haven't gotten a definitive answer because we are all diffrent. Just need to hang in and trust in the process...Congrats on 25 days
Old 01-17-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

It got quite a bit better for me after 3-4 months, but I'd say it took 2 years before I felt like I had almost all of my functions back to where they were before I started drinking. I think some of my mental quickness was gone for good, but I'd say I regained 95 percent or so of my normal functioning.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
It took me about 2 mos. to start feeling better. I'd been drinking all day, though. We've abused ourselves quite badly - it takes time to heal from the abuse. Glad you got yourself checked out.
I agree with this 100%. I drank a lot for a long enough period of time. It takes time for our bodies and our minds to start to heal. It doesn't happen overnight. Healing does start happening though And then things are so much better
Old 01-17-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

25 days is amazing! don't get disheartened
You will get to that happy sober place again, no worries!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by quitforme79 View Post
Hey final...I am a little over 2 months. For me, some days are better than others. 1st month I had trouble sleeping and the 2nd one I just wanted to sleep. Feel like I am kind of starting to even out. Def takes time. I have been asking people when I will feel better but haven't gotten a definitive answer because we are all diffrent. Just need to hang in and trust in the process...Congrats on 25 days
I will keep that(2 months) next milestone. And see how it turns out after that.

In terms of cravings(I know them very well as ex-smoker), I had them very very few times during alcohols abstinent days so far. But withdrawals are nightmarish for alcohol(still continuing) whereas Nicotine withdrawals are very manageable for me and they are gone almost. I was thinking nicotine is bigger, powerful addition to beat compare to alcohol but it turns out exactly other way around. Is that common experience or its just me.??

Until last Aug-12, I never thought being alcohol addict. But since I quit smoking, alcohol withdrawal went bizarre, morning after boozing withdrawals became more and more apparent concerning my alcohol habit and frequency prompting to turn sober for good. and here I am now with 25 days sober and still struggling

I haven't seen many good days in a row yet, alcohol withdrawal popping up too often to feel any comfort being sober yet. hoping to see some light soon, keeping my hands crossed for prayers for myself and all others.

finalquit100
Old 01-17-2013, 11:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

After 25 days you're not going thru alcohol withdrawal but it may be PAWS: Post acute withdrawal syndrome. That's the changes happening to your body and mind after going thru the physical withdrawal. Google PAWS and more info will come up. It just means that your body and brain are healing from the alcohol abuse and it takes time. Give yourself at least another month to see how you feel then.:ghug3

PAWS « Digital Dharma
Old 01-17-2013, 11:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You will feel better slowly, with probably some good days and some less pleasant. Your brain has to repair the changes that were caused by the prolonged exposure to alcohol. That takes time. It can take as long as two years to get completely back to normal, but most people are over the worst after a few months. But yes, it does get better, and many of us find that sobriety brings many more of those natural, happy feelings than we had before -- mostly because working a program changes us in that way, if we do it right.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It took over 2 months for me to even feel somewhat better. I have no idea what "normal" is, I'm still working on that part
Old 01-18-2013, 12:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well for me, my physical withdrawal lasted about 4-5 days. Emotionally I was "down" for about two months.

Your body will adapt. It has to. You will also feel more and more stable. Hang in there
Old 01-18-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The longer you are without alcohol, the closer you will get to feeling/thinking like you did when you started drinking.

If the booze was the problem then your problem is almost over.

If your thinking was the problem then your work is just beginning.

Fork in the road coming up soon, you'll know which way to go (hopefully).

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-18-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I talked to a friend I made here at SR. I called her when I hit 60 days. She said 60 days is great but you will really start feeling better at 90.
She was right.