Notices

Your opinion on depression

Old 01-04-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yoga and the counselor are great, but I would still talk to a doctor.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lyoness View Post
That caught my eye, I didn't know that depression was common after heart bypass. It's interesting to me because I have repeatedly read that having a history of depression increases the risk of heart disease. I take that seriously because I have a lifetime history of depression.
Don't want to get too off topic but just had to pass on a little information I had about depression and heart problems.

From what I've learned the main reason depression causes heart problems is because, often, depressed people don't take care of themselves very well. Makes sense if you think about it. If nothing gives you pleasure, and you're just hanging on by your finger nails, then you're often less likely to eat well and exercise. A lot like alcoholics!
Old 01-04-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Anti depressants just made me more depressed and the side effects sucked rubber donkey lungs, but that's just me and you may have a different result.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I can't give advice, but I am on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medication (and was before I started my sobriety journey - bad family trauma/deaths). I am medically supervised (by a doc who knows about my drinking) and am hopeful that, once I get sober, I will be able to stop taking the medication. As my doc says - alcohol is a depressant and if you spend all day drinking it, you are going to feel depressed.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

As someone said,

"For normal people, when your car breaks down, you call AAA. For us, we call the suicide hotline."
Old 01-04-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

go to the doctor. i've been on medicines for depression for years but it only got better after I stopped drinking because the alcohol stopped my medications from working! i always need to be on medication because my brain doesn't produce enough serotonin. you may need medication or your mood may improve but either way you need someone qualified to diagnose you.
antidepressants are not mood altering so don't worry about addiction.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by ClearLight View Post
Don't want to get too off topic but just had to pass on a little information I had about depression and heart problems.

From what I've learned the main reason depression causes heart problems is because, often, depressed people don't take care of themselves very well. Makes sense if you think about it. If nothing gives you pleasure, and you're just hanging on by your finger nails, then you're often less likely to eat well and exercise. A lot like alcoholics!
Wow--lightbulb! I tend to miss the obvious and was thinking about hormones affecting neurotransmitters affecting the heart muscle and so on, the forest for the trees. But absolutely, I don't do those good things so of course that feeds the depression and so on.

Thank you!
Old 01-04-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the very best thing to do is see your Dr Dorris - if they suggest something you're not keen on, tell them that - maybe you can explore other options.

I don't take them anymore but going on anti depressants in my 20s pretty much saved my life.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 01-04-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Firstly, yes see your doctor and be honest!

It is a tricky question as it is a bit "chicken or egg" in the sense that alcohol causes depression BUT are you drinking alcohol as a form of self medication because you are depressed?

From my own experience, depression is bone chillingly, mind numbingly exhausting, and my mind needed a holiday from the desperately awful feelings, anxiety etc. so I took/and take again anti-depressents. After the first time, I came off when I felt physically and psychologically better and used counselling to work through the emotional side of things. It worked......well it would have if I hadn't started drinking heavily, but that's another story.

Just see your doc and be honest about your feelings etc. Seriously, the physical sights they see day in and day out must mean that talking about problems, however serious, will be a blessed relief I am sure!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by renaldo View Post
Anti depressants just made me more depressed and the side effects sucked rubber donkey lungs, but that's just me and you may have a different result.
Renaldo...sucked rubber donkey lungs? LOL--well that's a new one!