Notices

Alcoholic Neuropathy

Old 12-29-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic Neuropathy

Hello,

Ive read some post were folks mention this, but cant seem to find any direct post with details. My dr. said about half the folks who are heavy drinkers for 10 years plus develop alcoholic neuropathy.

Question is does anyone have it, have things worsened or bettered after stopping alcohol, what are the symptom's, buzzing feet, burning shins, sore toes, burning hands.

I cant say I've stopped drinking, but have cut back over 90% in 2012 - but still neuropathy and if anything its worse, (symptons started in Mar 2011). I read nerve damage is permanent, but may improve. Mine seems to worsen. Ive been taking supplements for the year too.

To complicate things, I have a pinched nerve in neck and tendonits in my feet, but who knows what is over pain is over lapping.

Am I allowed to ask if anyone can share experience with this, that would be great (1 to 1 is fine if allowed). Its seems post are only about the actual issue, but would like to hear how things are years after, better, worse, the same.

thx, bak
Old 12-29-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mine was located mostly in my hands, mostly numbness in my fingers, and disappeared completely after about 2 months of complete sobriety and healthy eating.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Don't have any personal experience with this. But I am sure there are a few around who can share.

All the best.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi bak. I had a lot of scary numbness & tingling from the waist down by the time I quit. I could walk just fine, but couldn't really feel my feet/legs well. I felt like my movements were exaggerated. This wasn't all the time, but frequently. It was gone shortly after I quit being a drunk.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have 'normal' neuropathy lol - that is I've had it all my life - it's mostly a burning tingling or, sometimes, numbness in my lower legs and feet for me.

Not drinking at all definitely helped tho...it's much better than it used to be.

I just live with mine, but there are a range of treatments available, and your Dr should be able to help with those.

Have you been professionally diagnosed yet?

D
Old 12-29-2012, 05:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that stopping drinking completely would be the best option for you.

Then, maybe talking to your dr would be a good choice.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I haven't drank in almost 90 days, but I wonder if getting charlie horses in your hands from time to time is because of alcohol abuse.

Or old age? I am 42.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Do you work on the computer Eizabeth? I do and get them from time to time...I chalk it up to that.

Love your choco lab pic...I have a yellow and a chocolate. Love them!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I do work on the computer. I live on the computer. Thanks for pointing that out!

I love my lab! They are my favorite dogs in the world. If I didn't have a lab, I would want t a golden.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My kids are begging for a golden. Ha!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

A medical diagnosis didn't stop you from drinking yet. Maybe stop drinking and see if it clears up.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
I haven't drank in almost 90 days, but I wonder if getting charlie horses in your hands from time to time is because of alcohol abuse.

Or old age? I am 42.
Hey, I am 42 as well, we are not old, the forties are the new thirties!!!!
Old 12-30-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bakdfw32 View Post
Hello,

Ive read some post were folks mention this, but cant seem to find any direct post with details. My dr. said about half the folks who are heavy drinkers for 10 years plus develop alcoholic neuropathy.

Question is does anyone have it, have things worsened or bettered after stopping alcohol, what are the symptom's, buzzing feet, burning shins, sore toes, burning hands.

I cant say I've stopped drinking, but have cut back over 90% in 2012 - but still neuropathy and if anything its worse, (symptons started in Mar 2011). I read nerve damage is permanent, but may improve. Mine seems to worsen. Ive been taking supplements for the year too.

To complicate things, I have a pinched nerve in neck and tendonits in my feet, but who knows what is over pain is over lapping.

Am I allowed to ask if anyone can share experience with this, that would be great (1 to 1 is fine if allowed). Its seems post are only about the actual issue, but would like to hear how things are years after, better, worse, the same.

thx, bak
Yeah, I have this Bak. I wish they'd taught us about this in school... I was on the lookout for liver failure and this one kind of came out of left field.

I had it in my hands and arms first. It worried me because it was tingly and numb all the time and I work with my hands so I went to my doctor about it right away. It took til I had it in my right foot before they linked it to alcohol (my doc knew about that too). In my foot I had a weird feeling inside it and a couple of times I lost all feeling from the knee down for like half an hour or so. That was weird. Then I lost some movement in my foot. It came and went but I was walking funny all the time.

When the neurologist told me I had to quit I was shocked, even though I was trying to give up anyway, or said I was. He said I was young enough (31) to reverse the symptoms, which confused me because I thought nerve damage was permanent.

Anyway, when I eventually quit the numbness and tingling in my hands went pretty quickly, weeks even. That was such a relief. The leg took longer to get better but it is now. I think I walk completely normally again, even though I can still feel something weird about my leg (burning crampy feeling really). I'm happy about that though. If that's all the damage drinking did to me (touch wood) then I'm lucky.

I'd really recommend quitting drinking completely Bak... Mine didn't start clearing up til after that, even though I had cut down some before. And I have heard horror stories of people having to have legs amputated because of alcoholic neuropathy. It can get a lot worse.

Anyway, welcome to SR and hope you find the help you need x
Old 01-02-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your comments, much appreciated.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Zee

I have neuropothy in my feet, it stemmed from a bad case of toxic edema, which led to ascites and other nasty liver related stuff. My lower legs and feet are sensitive, tingly and numb at the same time, hard to explain. They are better than they were a year ago, so, I guess it gets better in time
Old 02-05-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ive got this

Hi Guys

Ive been a heavy social drinker for 40 years and have finally called it quits completely. My problems got so bad I can hardly walk to the kitchen and back/ Started getting really bad a year ago though was evedent 5 years ago numkb feet etc.

So after much googling and no help from the NHS (except to mark your card unfavourably)

The only way is to try complete abstinence and see if it makes any difference after 6 months.

I havent any symptom problems stopping its just a change in lifestyle and setting my mind to it.

The alternative is to go on a hyperbolic binge and have done with it as life is very uncomfortable and painfull and I cant do very much any more other than sit at this pc.

So here goes and I do know that if it works for me there is no going back on the sauce EVER - but I could live with that

Anyone esle in the same boat?

Robin
Old 02-05-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Robin

Have you ever seen a neurologist. There are treatments for neuropathy so you shouldn't just have to suffer all that discomfort. Go to your doc and demand that they refer you! x
Old 02-05-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I was having pain in both my hands and feet that went away in about a month after I quit.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

as you do

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
Welcome to SR Robin

Have you ever seen a neurologist. There are treatments for neuropathy so you shouldn't just have to suffer all that discomfort. Go to your doc and demand that they refer you! x
Hi a nursing friend told me that Gabapentin is used and sometimes works to reduce nerve pain

certainly, codein or Naproxin have no effect

Its specially difficult at night lying down and your lower legs are throbbing away and sometimes stabbing with pain. I think someone else on this board mention that they had terrible sensitivity on the soles of their feet. I had that at first 4 years ago. If my feet were just brushed it was like being hit with a cattle prod, yet I could stand on them in shoes ok.

Downhill all the way

I will go and ask for a nuero consultant but I want ot be completely cleaned out for a month before I go

If they start taking blood tests and liver function proves sufficiently abnormal then they may just silently write me off as they do

Ive had lots of liver tests to rule out diabetes and although some of the functions were a bit elevated it didnt raise alarm bells, so somehow my liver has survived years of onlsaught.

If you guys are interested Ill post how I am doing over the next 6 months

It might help someone

I always rather trust patient experiences over doctors these days (in UK)

Thanx

Robin
Old 02-05-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Do let us know how you get on Robin You can start your own thread too if you like x