Notices

25-year recovering alkie

Old 12-04-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

25-year recovering alkie

Hi. This is my first post. I quit drinking in September of 1987. I am doing fine. Hope to be able to help anyone who might be struggling to maintain sobriety or to get sober in the first place. I did not use AA to get sober. I read a book, Under the Influence, and got myself sober that way. Please let me know if I can be of any help.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Gracie
good to have you with us - congrats on 25 years

D
Old 12-04-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((Gracie)) - Welcome to SR and a HUGE congrats on 25 years sober!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-04-2012, 07:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is wonderful, I am looking forward to your wisdom.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks very much for joining us graciedog.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome graciedog!

That's a lot of sober days! Congratulations to you!

Make yourself at home..... would love to hear more about your story sometime, if you care to share. Glad you're here!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Good to meet you, Gracie.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by graciedog View Post
Hi. This is my first post. I quit drinking in September of 1987. I am doing fine. Hope to be able to help anyone who might be struggling to maintain sobriety or to get sober in the first place. I did not use AA to get sober. I read a book, Under the Influence, and got myself sober that way. Please let me know if I can be of any help.
Hi Gracie,

In '87 I had no clue that I was headed for alcohol dependency, even though I drank what I would now consider lightweight beer every night. In the mid 80's I was hitchhiking around and I don't recall drinking in the day. The beast hadn't emerged from the topiary or wainscoting as of yet, I guess.

It's cool that you're offering your help. Put electrodes in my brain that shock me when I think of drinking I guess.

Do you think the book "Under the Influence" would shed any more light than people's personal stories here? Is it an autobiography?

Can you provide a link to a synopsis along with your personal reflections? You can send me a personal message. I know we're not supposed to do anything that comes off as a product endorsement here on the forum. Maybe I can find a used copy on Craig's List.

I wonder... the more I think about my relationship with alcohol, the more I think about alcohol. When I was a kid hitchhiking around, I don't recall thinking about beer until nightfall. Everything was so new to me and I needed to be cognizant of my surroundings so as not to get shafted. It was only when I found a safe place to sleep that I drank, and the pittance that I drank then would be a drop in the bucket by comparison now.

Well, when I was a kid I had enough sense to know I couldn't be walking the streets of a foreign city with a backpack under the influence and that the prime directive was to find a safe place to sleep (which I did in 99% of the cases), but now that I'm an adult with an apartment working sporadically (and sometimes online from home), the situation is different.

Idle hands are the Devil's workshop.