Notices

I used to be one of them

Old 11-05-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I used to be one of them

Hi

I went to supermarket this evening to pick up some bits for my dinner.

While I was choosing my carrots I noticed very familiar face. It was her. The lady who drinks the same wine as I used to drink.

She rushed through the shop got her 4 cans of beer and giant bottle of wine (1.5l). Its Monday evening... how ugly that looked.

When I looked at her at the check outs, I felt very sad because that was me just 280 days ago. I hope she will find her way out too!

Just wanted to share my thoughts....
Old 11-05-2012, 10:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. Not much you can do but be just as nice as you were before and say a little prayer for her. Also, feel good about yourself, 280 days is awesome and a great achievement.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That used to be me too HF. I think I used to shop quicker back then too, like if I did it quickly no one would notice. Well done on 280 days x
Old 11-05-2012, 10:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

OMG that is totally me to hypo... I would go into the local market or supermarket, quick pace, straight to the liquor aisle, grab what I wanted, find the shortest line, and be out as quick as possible. Not going to miss that feeling...
Old 11-05-2012, 10:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

But by the grace of God there go I. Was in the party store by me at 3:00 PM and there was a soccer mom buying a pint of Vodka. Felt so sorry for her
Old 11-05-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Thanks for you post, Healthyfood.

I have about 6 supermarkets at the walking distance, so every time I bought wine in different one). And every time I bought wine I just hated myself, hated and bought.

Disguisting feeling.

Congrats on 280 days!
Old 11-05-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

And I'd always make sure to 'dilute' my purchase with cat food and toilet paper and vegetables so as to look less irresponsible. HAHAHA - surely it never fooled anyone but me.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on your 280 days HF

D
Old 11-14-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

See above post - and then today I was in the store and saw 'myself' behind me in line. Woman about same age, puffy face, bottle of wine from the mark-down rack, 2 stacks of canned cat food and one other small item for good measure. It was about noon. That was old me! And if she was really like me, she had some wine at home but wanted to make sure not to run out later. Gamut of feelings...1. sympathy - it always sucked to buy wine in that store in this small town early on a weekday. 2. Jealousy - I can't do this anymore - she's going to have a fun afternoon with herself (and cats). 3. Pity - she's going to feel like **** in the morning. 4. Happiness - I'll feel fine tomorrow, I don't have to do this anymore, and I still have the $8. I'm sure there is more, but you get the point. I was meant to be there at the same time as she was so I could see my old self as others saw me the many, many times I did it.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

I also used buy enough other little things like toothpaste or bread so at least I would have a different bag to show besides just the booze...madness.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

280 days inspires me. Thanks for your post
Old 11-14-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Congrats on 280 days!! Wow!!

It is sad when you can see the symptoms in other people and can't do anything to help. It takes one to know one, truer words never spoken than in our case.
I used to feel bad for myself whenever I recognized I was doing things to take the focus off my drinking and distract others. I remember thinking "what is wrong with me that I have gotten to this point?" but it didn't stop me...
Old 11-14-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

280 days is inspiring to me as well. I am on day 34, which is the longest I have been sober since having my son five years ago. How long did it take before you stopped thinking about alcohol daily? I feel good (although today I am exhausted for some reason), but still think about wine at night even as distract myself with healthier activities and choices. Just curious.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm impressed. 280 days is so good.

I would walk into one of the two liquor stores with driving distance, try to look as together as possible and purchase two HUGE bottles of wine and a HUGE bottle of vodka. That would last maybe a week. Then I had to repeat the process the next week at the alternate store. I'm sure I was fooling no one. I used to tell myself "What is cashier know?! Maybe I just entertain friends frequently!" Seriously. The things I told myself to drink. Fooling no one.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

280 days! Thats great! Thanks for the inspirational post and compassion...