Notices

Still Don't Get It

Old 11-06-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still Don't Get It

Let me start with I am one of the best alcoholics...

That said, I see many posts about telling yourself you can have just one or moderate or pace. of course most everybody concludes it is not possible, so they don't. But, am I the only one who has no desire categorically for just one, moderation or pace? I am going on a year right now, and my strongest deterent is knowing not that I can't moderate, but knowing I have zero desire to moderate. I dont drink because if liquor touches my lip, i will drink all of it and by design! :rotfxko
Old 11-06-2012, 05:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

DrunkTx

Yeah- for me moderation went right out the window. Moderation works for non-alcoholics.

Zube
Old 11-06-2012, 05:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

No, you are most certainly not alone, DrunkTx. We are all headed to the same destination, it just takes some of us a while to arrive.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, ONE drink doesn't do it for me. I want another while I am drinking the first one.

So as long as I don't take that first drink.......

Sounds corny but that is a crucial, life saving statement.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
Yeah, ONE drink doesn't do it for me. I want another while I am drinking the first one.

So as long as I don't take that first drink.......

Sounds corny but that is a crucial, life saving statement.
How true. Even writing this i am thinking about the fourth glass of wine!......Just one...LOL. I have never failed at anything, but when I was an active drinker, just one would have been a failure. Just one.....ROTFL!!!!
Old 11-06-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I see no point in one or even six. So none it is for me.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrunkTx View Post
Let me start with I am one of the best alcoholics...

That said, I see many posts about telling yourself you can have just one or moderate or pace. of course most everybody concludes it is not possible, so they don't. But, am I the only one who has no desire categorically for just one, moderation or pace? I am going on a year right now, and my strongest deterent is knowing not that I can't moderate, but knowing I have zero desire to moderate. I dont drink because if liquor touches my lip, i will drink all of it and by design! :rotfxko

when you read more posts, you may want to try it with a different pair of glasses. there are very few( if any) moderation drinkers here. after all, this is sober recovery.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Same here. Gave up the idea of moderation a while ago. Does not exist as an option for me. I'm an all or nothing kinda girl. So...it's nothing....ever...again.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

I can moderate for a week maybe longer but its not really moderating more like griting my teath to not drink the more it starts to become a obbsession again i start thinking about units what to drink when to drink how to drink, then it will happen my control will be gone and ill be off and running!!! moderation is a illusion for an alkie like me!

when iam sober and i know i will never drink again i am free!!!
Old 11-06-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
when you read more posts, you may want to try it with a different pair of glasses. there are very few( if any) moderation drinkers here. after all, this is sober recovery.
That wasn't my point. I read tons of posts from folks who want to be "normies" or trying tapering, or telling themselves just one. almost everybody concludes that it doesn't work....i am always surprised though that the starting thought is be normal. Never once till this day have I dreamnt about enjoying a nice glass of wine. 100% of my thoughts start at minimum a bottle and up. i just can't believe somebody desires just one (suspending the reality of whether that is achievable)
Old 11-06-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by Lionhearted1 View Post
When I am sober and I know I will never drink again, I am free!!!
Lionhearted, you can know right this minute that you will never drink again. Can you vow not to drink now? That'll do it.
Be certain of this, people make this vow all the time, and keep it, too. You can be one of them.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I read a few of those posts lately. I feel sad about it when it is someone who has been posting about their hard fought success with abstaining. I been there done that so I don't know what to say.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I never thought I could moderate either. The best plan I could come up with when I was drinking was just not to drink alone and drink socially. But I knew that would screw up my whole method because I drank alone so I didn't drink to excess in public. I never made it past a day not drinking alone and finally accepted that if I achieved that then my drinking would definitely get out of control in public!
Old 11-06-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

DrunkTx thanks. Its really that simple. I need to accept I can't have just one. Just CAN'T. Period. I am on day 4 and feel really good. Beautiful day. This would be a perfect day for just one. Glad I read your post.