Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Day 26 and I am angry that I cant drink and short tempered..hate it!

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 08:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am 26 days sober today and am having a tough day. I thought I was doing so well and handling the not drinking better than I had expected. I am craving it and am angry that others can drink and I can't. I am shocked that I am having these feelings as a few days ago I couldnt imagine feeling this way. I feel like it's not fair that I can't be normal and drink like a normal personal and have a healthy relationship with alcohol. I am emotional and easily aggitated. What do I do and why is this happening now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. I don't like feeling like an angry envious person it is not at all my personality.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey missing

I think it's normal to go a little off the rails around 30 days - have you heard about PAWS?

This link might resonate with you a little
PAWS « Digital Dharma

D
Old 10-26-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I am so sorry you are going through one of the bounces. Yes we all pretty much have felt how you are feeling, and it didn't solve my issues to come here, I just had to think it all through and get to the other side.

But coming here I was reminded that everyone else has felt the same, and that gave me the feeling that if they could, then I can too! SR never let me down, when I was down.

So can you make it to the other side of this temporary rough patch? You can if you will.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I go up and down like that as well!! Hang in there!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The same has happened to me...I am on day 38 now. On day 32 the urge to drink was so overwhelming. I was agitated, angry that I couldn't drink. I came here to vent, called my sponser and got thru it. You are in the right place and are not alone. From that experience, I realized that I CAN in fact drink but am choosing NOT to. Puts a different spin on it and for me, makes it all seem a bit easier. Hang in there and congrats on 26 days
Old 10-26-2012, 08:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Missingtheoldme.

Don't be so hard on yourself. I personnaly know very few people who really have healthy relationships with alcohol (if there is such thing at all as). And how to define who is a normal person or who is not? Is there some tag to attach? You can be irritated for thousands of other reasons, but so focused on non-drinking that it is considered as only reason to be angry and short tempered. When these thoughts hit me I try to shift focus on something else and ask myself: do I really want a drink or is it bugging me that people around me have a drink and I can not do it? What if I found myself in a company of people who think it is normal to have fun without alco? Would I still feel miserable and "abnormal"? Maybe, it's kind of pep-talk, but it helps me to stay on what I want, not on what is considered to be "normal".

And, any way, congrats on your Day 26.

Have a good day and give yourself a break from these thoughts))
Old 10-26-2012, 08:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

They were talking about PAWS in the class I took last night, I haven't experienced this yet, but on day 15 I find myself emotional. Stick close to SR, that is my plan this weekend!!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have those days too. I think we all do from time to time. It will pass... I promise. Just keep doing the right thing.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for taking the time to talk to me. I am not sure what PAWS is but will look it up. All of the advise and words of experience was very helpful. I feel better this morning and hope the rest of the day goes the same. I have a halloween party to go to tonight and am hoping I can still be social without the drink. My boyfried does not drink and will be by my side all night. I still can't believe how sorry for myself I felt last night and how fowl I was. Here is to a better day. Have a great day everyone and congrats to you all. I appreciate each and everyone of you. 27 days not too shabby...haven't gone that long without a drink I think in 15 years. I should celebrate with pure fun. I will do my best tonight. hugs to all
Old 10-27-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Sorry I missed this post last night, mtom.

Interesting to see the progression from last night to today. Like night/day, literally, LOL!

Yeah ups and downs are frustrating. There never seems to be a rational reason for them.

Originally Posted by missingtheoldme View Post
I feel like it's not fair that I can't be normal and drink like a normal personal and have a healthy relationship with alcohol.
I feel like this ALL the time, too. It's so bogus, though. Where or when did I EVER get the impression that life is "fair." Everyone has battles and demons in their life. There are "billions" of people with a lot bigger problems who would trade places with us in a heart beat.

Glad to see you've come around today.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good to have you back. Stop hoping you will be social without the drink, just do it. I am proud that you decided to be at cause in your life over alcohol, rather than being at effect. You also have a choice not to go you know. I know that you can go to non drinking parties, just like you can go to "family" restaurants where alcohol is not served. The food is just as good you will find. Looking for the fun of drinkers and the old life really won't work. They are boring when sober. Did you ever notice the folks before that come to parties and leave early? You may be able to notice them now. They will have less than one drink or just a soft drink. Then just when to the drinkers the party starts to warm up, those folks leave! I am one of those too. Why? Because sober I can see it isn't warming up, it is getting rowdy. That is when it is fun for the drinkers but not the rest. It is boooooooring! Not me, them! That is a tough leap for some.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post

But coming here I was reminded that everyone else has felt the same, and that gave me the feeling that if they could, then I can too! SR never let me down, when I was down.

This about sums it up!
Old 10-27-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi missing. I had signed off when you posted, but want to commend you for coming here and talking it out.

As everyone's said, this is completely normal for the early days of recovery. You're doing great reaching 27 days, especially after 15 yrs. of heavy drinking. I drank all my life, and definitely went through a grieving process. I felt very sorry for myself in the beginning, felt there was a party going on and I was missing out. That's a lie. Picking up is dangerous and leads to misery. You know that, though. You are doing great & we're proud of you.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You guys are all so awesome...and so helpful. I feel so pumped about tonight. I am getting primped and noticed something that at this moment is more powerful than the drink. I look great!! I look healthy and not bloated and younger and I actually see it and am in awe. My body has been clean for, well 27 days today and it seems to be loving it. At this moment I feel like a million bucks. I can handle tonight....I remember when during my pregnancies I would see people starting to get wasted and it was so crazy to see in unfold....I get to let that be my fun for the night. As I won't be one of them. I love this place. You all rock. I will let you know how it goes...but I have a great feeling it is going to go amazing. xo
Old 10-27-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Have a great party, Missingtheoldme!
Old 10-27-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Great! Not hoping, but doing!
"By George she's got it, I think she's got it!"
'Enry 'Iggins
Old 10-27-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fernaceman View Post
Everyone has battles and demons in their life. There are "billions" of people with a lot bigger problems who would trade places with us in a heart beat.
You bet! That's a great attitude. I mentioned elsewhere that I met someone who said he had never had a moment's contentment in his entire life. Thank goodness that I have. Plenty of them.