Notices

Sober and dealing with PAWS

Old 10-26-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober and dealing with PAWS

I had my last drink the first week of June 2012. I'm dealing with anxiety, depression and insomnia. It has lessened over the past month, but from what I understand about Post acute withdrawl syndrome (PAWS) is it can take up to two years before your brain chemistry gets back to normal, what ever normal is. Can anyone share their knowledge and or experience with PAWS during their sobriety? Thnaks ....Hoosiervet
Old 10-26-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'll start by saying that I've relapsed a number of times. Twice this month and also over the summer. I'm currently fighting yet another of these episodes.

That being said, every time I sobered up I experienced exactly what you speak of. The anxiety was terrible. I constantly thought about how I can never drink again in my entire life (which for some reason is terrible?). What about the holidays? Birthdays? Random occasions?

I didn't have terrible bouts of insomnia during the PAWS-timeframe, but I certainly remember how terrible it was during my detoxs.

My depression was not horrible, but as a person who was emotionally stable prior to drinking, it was certainly disconcerting. It does get better though. Do you have friends or family to support you? I found just going out to the park with someone close was immensely helpful.

Congratulations on your months of sobriety!
Old 10-26-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have you talked to a doctor hoosiervet? I am 8 months sober and have some issues which could be considered to be PAWS, but I just don't know... I think I probably had depression before I was drinking and I have some medical issues which could contribute to it too... It's anyone's guess what is causing what. I reckon everything will get better eventually if I don't drink but I am trying to deal with it as best I can between my doctor, counsellor and AA. Hope you feel better soon x
Old 10-26-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Spinning Sober

I have been sober for over a year. My paws seemed to be ok as long as I was working the program. But lately I have been slacking with the program so my anxiety and depression have worsened. I am angry, irritable and paranoid to the point that I am going see a psychiatrist. I also am going to be starting therapy. I have struggled with depression and anxiety since before I used so I don't know if what I'm going through is PAWs neccesarily....
Old 10-26-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
Have you talked to a doctor hoosiervet? I am 8 months sober and have some issues which could be considered to be PAWS, but I just don't know... I think I probably had depression before I was drinking and I have some medical issues which could contribute to it too... It's anyone's guess what is causing what. I reckon everything will get better eventually if I don't drink but I am trying to deal with it as best I can between my doctor, counsellor and AA. Hope you feel better soon x
I am under a doctors care since August 2012. I take an antidepressant. I started drinking when I was 17. Im 53 now. I dont remember If I had depression or anxiety issues before I drank, but that being said, from what I have read, brain chemistry is affected. Hoosiervet
Old 10-26-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It can be hard. I suffer from depression, PTSD, aniety and it doesen't go away because I hid behind alcohol. I am in therapy. The booze did nothing but cover things up and ruined whatever health and relationships I had. It is not a cure it is only a cover.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Spinning Sober

Yes - a lot of the brain is affected - neurotransmitters, dopamine, seratonin, endorphins. I think that's why people get depressed and anxious when they quit. The good news is that the human brain is remarkable and can heal itself a good bit.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey HoosierVet, Good for you with your sober months. My last drink was in early June also and I drank heavily for many years. Depression, numbed feelings and fatigue have been steadily improving after I passed the 3 month mark. The fact that you have seen an improvement in the last month is a great sign, also good you checked it out with your doctor. I think the recovery of the brain's normal functioning after alcohol dependence is just a steady, slow process. Hope you are getting good nutrition. Some recovery professionals recommend supplements, especially the B vitamins, melatonin for sleep. Might be worth talking over with your MD. Hoping things improve for you soon. If this PAWS did anything positive for me, it certainly made me accept without question the fact of my dependence and the poisonous effects on my brain and body.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello Hoosiervet

This site might be of interest to you.
PAWS « Digital Dharma

It took me nearly three days to finish reading it.
It begins at the top with a LOT of info about PAWS. Below that are people's questions and comments. (The oldest ones are all the way at the bottom- that's where I started reading)

I found a lot of valuable information here.
Best to you!
Old 10-26-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Spinning Sober

I've read that a good diet and exercise help the process.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I experienced PAWS but it seemed to go away after about a year.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Hoosier

The digital dharma link is great - it basically taught me everything I know about PAWs.

For me it wasn't a two year ordeal - it was a day here, a couple of days there of not feeling right - a strange fogginess, a heaviness, a feeling of being a little unwell and hot...I also went a bit crazy and did things I wouldn't normally do.

I've been ok since about day 120 or so. Hope you will be too

D