Notices

Over 100 days sober and WTH?

Old 09-02-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

Over 100 days sober and WTH?

Early sobriety came easy. This weekend has been ok so far. This entire past week the urge to drink some yummy red wine became somewhat overwhelming. I wasn't really stressed about work or home life, so I really can't explain why I felt that way.

Is this a common thing after 3 months sober? for me I guess it wasn't so much about wanting to get wasted, it was more about me wanting to taste and get the mouth feel of it.

The only thing that kept me from not indulging was remembering how the racing heart, high blood pressure and lack of sleep/hangovers felt.

Anyhoo...
Old 09-02-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Yeh my crazy old alkie brain comes up with daft stuff like this every now and then .

my brain says oh it'd just be a little sip for the taste what harm can it do ( i go... oh yeh! i know what you're like you old soak , whats the harm in a sip , a glass , a bottle we've been down the moderation route before )

My brain says oh it'd just be a shandy ( i go .. yeh i know what you're like it'll be how may gallons of shandy before you just think it'd be easyer to get something stronger)

That's why i try to remember my last hangover and how grotty i felt, just as a reminder ..

bestwishes, M
Old 09-02-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Orbea View Post
...for me I guess it wasn't so much about wanting to get wasted, it was more about me wanting to taste and get the mouth feel of it.
I would guess it was all about getting wasted. None of are here to recover from the tasting and mouthing of wine...but our addictive voice will tell us that was why we drank. Is sounds so much more harmless than drinking to get drunk.

As far as cravings being normal at 100 days, I would say yes. Look up PAWS.

Stay strong.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes look up PAWS...

CONGRATULATIONS Orbea, on all you have accomplished. You.have inspired me many times! Thank you for that!

I had a hard fourth and sixth month. But in a different way than the first 3 months were. I knew i wasnt going to drink, which instead of making it easier made it somehow harder! I knew that meant i had to go through it!

Sometimes I think our addiction waits till we think we are home free, and then: it pounces when we do not expect it.

All this shows is our addiction is getting desperate... And it is desperate because it can feel us slipping away from its claws. It is grasping at straws at such times, I think.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Your body/brain is seeking that former comfort. At about 90 days, most of the toxins have left and it's about how cells remember that "good 'ol feeling" of the drunk.

Congrats on your time of sobriety! Now is the time to really get into your program of recovery or to create one!

Keep moving forward!!
Old 09-02-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I totally agree with what everyone said here but I wonder also if maybe the change in seasons might factor in to cravings? I'm 4 days in, but from past experience I know the holidays definitely affect cravings for different things, but maybe even just the cooler weather upon us and shorter days could trigger things? Just a thought.

Congrats on your 100 days! That's fantastic!
Old 09-02-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Is this a common thing after 3 months sober?
yeah it is common Orbea..check out the PAWS link

PAWS « Digital Dharma

D
Old 09-02-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

Thanks Dee for the link! I had read it before in early sobriety and as I read it again it makes even more sense.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

Also, I am scared to drink bc I go to endo in a week and know blood will be drawn.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

WTF is right another success for today... Because that is all we have one day at a time...

I know this alcoholic still dreams and thinks of drinking, but I have tools to keep me remebering what the hell I did to myself for decades..

Stay on the beam..
Old 09-02-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

3 months was about how long it took for my prolonged hangover to end... during that time the thought of drinking made me feel really sick. But after 3 months I was feeling much better and had cravings which were different from the ones I had before, and much more insistent. I had to step up the support I had at that time. I think also just feeling 'normal' made me think I would be able to drink and get away with it...

Well done on 100 days + Orbea x
Old 09-02-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
instant

In time I came to regard less than 12 months as early. Changes keep on occurring, and for me they still are into 16 months. The thoughts about drinking still come to mind, they are one of the things I have no control over. What happens after that is where the work is done, and where most of the ongoing risks are for us.

Despite my income and professional status, drinking wine was never about the taste. I loved the buzz. I'm sure I would fall into the same old trap.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think at the 3 month point, I had a feeling of 'oh, so this is how it's going to be...' and fully accepting that this was the new reality in my life.

Congratulations on 100 days sober.