Notices

2 wks sober, wake up with "hangover"?

Old 06-26-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 wks sober, wake up with "hangover"?

Weird! I haven't had a drink in more than 2 weeks. Went through the usual awful withdrawal / heavy daily drinker. Have been feeling great! But the last two mornings, I wake up with a splitting headache that feels suspiciously familiar... plus just feel out of it in a way that reminds me of a hangover.

Anyone else have this experience? Could it be delayed reaction to going alcohol-free?

Last time I quit, I don't remember this happening.

Thanks for your input!
Old 06-26-2012, 07:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Strangely enough I'm at a little over two weeks, and have been feeling the same. Not when I wake up, but randomly throughout the day feeling a bit like I'm hungover. Tired, headache, and overall uneasiness. No idea if it's related to quitting alcohol. Sorry, I'm not much help....
Old 06-26-2012, 07:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maybe dehydration? Also, have you been taking vitamins? I'm 2 weeks in as a well and take a multi and B complex every day per doctor's advice. Hope you feel better!
Old 06-26-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I agree you are probably dehydrated!
Old 06-26-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks -- it has been very hot here... I'll really make an effort to drink more water today. I guess drinking heavily for 10 years isn't going to be fixed right away. I feel like my body is completely confused by the change of routine and the absence of alcohol.

I sometimes get a sort of "phantom drunk" too which is little memory lapses. It takes a little effort to remember what happened last night, and even though I can remember it, it's like my brain is used to forgetting things. Eeep! Rebuilding the connections, maybe?
Old 06-26-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have had the massive headache (at different parts of the day), have been drinking about 2 gallons of water a day (no joke) and taking the B complex. I know what your feeling and it is NO fun!
Old 06-26-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I had terrible headaches during the first couple months of getting sober. Not a lot, but every so often. Not sure why. I attributed them to quitting. I was also drinking a lot of caffeine.

Quite frankly, I was stressed out in those early months. Could have been stress headaches.

All I know is they went away once I stayed sober.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

maybe it's just your body getting used to being without alcohol, but I agree with being hydrated as well. Drink as much water as you can stand!!
Old 06-26-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have a feeling you need more water,I have had days like that and I have been sober for 362 days.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

you might be experiencing PAWS (Why We Don’t Get Better Immediately: Post-acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) | What…Me Sober?).

please do not get scared of some of the things you read, because certainly not all of them will be applicable... but it's good to be aware.
you will have days just like this, then better, then maybe slightly worse. continue on the sober path, however. you don't want to be right back where you've started.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SamanthaIam View Post
I sometimes get a sort of "phantom drunk" too which is little memory lapses. It takes a little effort to remember what happened last night, and even though I can remember it, it's like my brain is used to forgetting things. Eeep! Rebuilding the connections, maybe?
I had this a lot ^^ And the morning headaches I had throughout my second month of sobriety, much worse than I ever got with a hangover. I was going to ask my doctor about it but never got round to it and it's pretty much subsided now. I still feel tired/worn out a lot but this may just be normal life, still trying to figure out what that's supposed to feel like x
Old 06-26-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have it happen fairly often as well to have "sober hangovers" it's obnoxious, that's for sure.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had that for a while too, made me feel like "hell, it aint the booze makin me feel crappy in the morning" but it went away after a while, I did feel dehydrated too, seemed like more dehydrated than when drinking if that's possible, maybe the body shifts gears and starts using more water
Old 06-26-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i actually tried stopping drinking for a week. the longest iv lasted and i would wake up feeling hungover and i remember speaking to my bf and asking why did i feel hungover when i havnt had a drink. i will agree with the dehydration part as i hardlys ever drink water as i dont like it, i just drink it when i feel like im maybe dehydrated.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

It happens I have been sober a while and still get that hangover feeling. But like everyone said just keep taking care of your body and all will be well. If it continues see a doctor.

And dont worry about that PAWS to many people throw that out there. Its a lot rarer than ya think. Plus doesnt really begin much later in sobriety.

phantom hangover I take those over the real deal.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OCDDan View Post
I had that for a while too, made me feel like "hell, it aint the booze makin me feel crappy in the morning" but it went away after a while, I did feel dehydrated too, seemed like more dehydrated than when drinking if that's possible, maybe the body shifts gears and starts using more water
Yes Dan, I think it does. Imagine a muddy field that has't had water for years. When you do give it water, the mud is so hard that it won't take the water. But after time the mud softens and then it sucks in all the water you give it. This is what is happening to the body during rehydration. Keep on waterin' !
Old 08-22-2017, 01:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm at 46 days and I still feel terrible...I drank for like 10 years pretty heavily as well. I feel exhausted around 2pm everyday like I need to seriously go to bed. Not a nap, but like BED. for the night! This too shall pass for us! I hope!
Old 08-22-2017, 01:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I drank 2-4 glasses of wine nightly for about 4 years, and sometimes vodka on top of that. On weekends it was often a binge. I went on the mother of all benders for about 6 weeks before I stopped drinking, round the clock 4-5 bottles of wine a day and Lunesta as well. This definitely required medical detox and rehab.

I'm at 105 days and woke up this morning headachy, anxious and with extremely low energy. It happens once or twice a week, but the frequency is diminishing.

About 50 days in I started night sweats. Fortunately those seem to have stopped.

These events will become more frequent, as well as memory improvement and increased cognitive ability.

Just give it time!