Notices

Joe Walsh. I never knew.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Fdm

Joe Walsh. I never knew.

I never knew Joe Walsh struggled with alcohol and drugs. He's one of my favorite musicians. Learn something new every day, I guess.

I also thought it was neat that Stevie Nicks wrote a song for his daughter Emma, who was killed at the age of 3. "Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You?" is a very pretty song.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Joe can play a mean guitar. Here is a link to a video:

The Eagles - One day at a time
Old 05-11-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

It's amazing how many famous and successful people out there have successfully dealt with addiction. Craig Ferguson is one of my favorites because he can laugh at himself about it. I'm always surprised when i Wikipedia a famous person i like for one reason or another, look up their personal life and see that they struggles with some form of addiction. It's just another reminder that this disease does not discriminate.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Nap time over and I wasn't quite alert, so I misread what you had written....

Stevie Nicks is a woman (from Fleetwood Mac) who never had children.

Joe Walsh wrote the song "Emma" for his daughter who died as a result of an auto accident. Stevie Nicks did write/sing the song "Has Anyone Ever Written a Song for You?" which was also about Joe Walsh's daughter, Emma.

Eric Clapton wrote "Tears in Heaven" after his 4 year old died after falling out of a 53rd floor window and landing on top of a 4 story rooftop accidentally

(sorry, I just love Stevie Nicks, so it's one of the few women singers names I do know)

to break their anonymity, all 3 of these musicians had problems, Eric started a rehab in Antigua.....

From what I've read, if you lived through the world of music, you've most likely consumed large quantities of alcohol and possibly dabbled or became addicted to drugs....especially if you lived in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's 90's... (although I believe they existed in the 1920's 30's, & '40's, too) of course, it's getting so that when you find a band that is sober, it's rare, unless they have already begun their sober journey....Shinedown is awesome; I'm not certain if all of the band members are sober, but at least one (or more) are. You can hear it in their lyrics.

Kansas was once mentioned as a "born again Christian band" yet I believe they were on the road to sobriety, too. There's a few more sober bands around today, I'm just really bad with remembering bands and performer's names.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Fdm

I think Gene Simmons and Dee Snider are abstainers, and I think Metallica got sober years ago.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
LDT

Also Stevie Ray Vaughan was a recovering alcoholic.....Bonnie Rait ( one of my favorites ) quit drinking many years ago......as did Ringo Starr and his wife....I googled up musicians in recovery and was surprised at how many there actually are.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

etta james was a recoveing heroin addict. steven tyler is a recovering everything addict. keith urban is a recovering alcoholic as is alice cooper, elton john, dave mustaine( megadeath), and chuck negron( 3 dog night.

joe walsh says he only got drunk once...for about 20 years.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Eminem is also a recovering addict, and wrote a song about it "I'm not afraid"..yes, I'm into hip hop, but I do love the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac, especially Stevie Nicks.

I just read an article on AOL about inspirational people.."famous" people who have overcome extreme adversitites. There were several who overcame addiction, was quite suprised. I knew Howard Hughes was extremely OCD, but didn't realize he was also addicted to opiates.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-11-2012, 05:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

You would be surprised how many U.S. presidents had alcohol problems...I never knew that Nixon became an alcoholic later in life.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
LDT

I was surprised by the recent alcohol/drug death ( reported as an " accidental overdose") of The artist, Thomas Kinkade, the "painter of light".
Old 05-11-2012, 09:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Maybe this is a little OT, but I've been watching Cheers on netflix, and even though he's just a character on a tv show, I really like Sam Malone. I grew up watching Cheers, and as a kid I had plenty of examples of active alcoholics in my life, but for years the only recovering person I "knew" was Sam from Cheers.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eJoshua View Post
Maybe this is a little OT, but I've been watching Cheers on netflix, and even though he's just a character on a tv show, I really like Sam Malone. I grew up watching Cheers, and as a kid I had plenty of examples of active alcoholics in my life, but for years the only recovering person I "knew" was Sam from Cheers.
I wanted to BE Sam Malone when I was a kid!
Old 05-12-2012, 03:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Cousin

Joe walsh's brother frank married my cousin karen. Met him a bunch of times. He is a alcoholic and drug user. He is sober now. He has two extremely talented nephews Bowen and Sage. He treats them well and just released a new album.

We all struggle. His was just public.

Ken
Old 05-12-2012, 04:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Home : Joe Walsh

June 5th
Old 05-12-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Fdm

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Joe walsh's brother frank married my cousin karen. Met him a bunch of times. He is a alcoholic and drug user. He is sober now. He has two extremely talented nephews Bowen and Sage. He treats them well and just released a new album.

We all struggle. His was just public.

Ken
Very cool!
Old 05-12-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It is kinda cool. When I first met Frank and stopped by the family home in upper Montclair new jersey I had no idea who he was related to. I stared at the gold records on the walls. Both from the eagles and his own works.

I agree he is really good. Like I mentioned his influence on his nephews is awesome. They are talented musicians on there own.